• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Target Rifle

freemanr250

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2011
Looking at some .308 heavy barrel rifles for target shooting...no hunting just punching paper...I've looked at the 700 target tactical, the a bolt target from browning, savage bench model, and the kimber 84 tactical. Ill be shooting up to 600 yards, but most of the shooting will be at 200 yards. Anybody have any expierence/opinions about these rifles or any other rifles that are similar and you would recommend? Also what type of scope would be best for the rifle? Like I mentioned before some shots up to 600 but most at 200 yards because thats the longest my club has to offer. I've looked at the bushnell elite series. How do they seem to be and what else is out there that anyone has shot with on a similar set up?
Thanks for the help,
Ryan

Re: .308 Target Rifle

With all due respect, It's highly unlikely you'll get the response your looking for from this crowd. Your best bet is to search and read EVERYTHING. The answers you want have been discussed hundreds of times already. Good luck and welcome to the site.

Freeman,
Welcome to the Hide. You won't beat one of the Rem 700 platform rifles. Get a heavy barrel model, like the SPS tactical. The 5R Rem is probably the best out of the box rifle available. Get the Best glass you can afford. You will not regret putting cash in good glass. Lots of options. A SWFA super sniperis a great entry level scope. My best advice to you is read, read , read. Lots of great information on here.
Oh, please fill out your location profile.
Later-Rob

I think the rem 700 and the savage you mentioned would probably be you best bet, I would stay away from the browning for lack of precision/ target type accessories available. As far as the Kimber, you could probably almost do a full custom build for what they cost.

SPS Tatical is great place to start. You can buy just about anything for the 700. You can piece together high quality accessories as you can afford them. They usually shoot better than the person behind them right out of the box. +1 on the best glass you can afford.

Is this how y'all always treat noobs?

This is a fucking discussion forum. There isn't a single one of us here that wasn't a noob at one point.

And the search engine blows goats. The google one that is linked above is good, but the one on this site is terrible.

I realize some basic questions get old, but lighten up a bit.

OP, your post isn't very specific. I don't know what your budget is, but I'd suggest finding a Remington 5R in .308. It's a great set up and will allow you to "grow" with it.

There is a lot of factory match .308 for about a buck a round.

I can't speak for the Bushnell Elite series.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this how y'all always treat noobs?

This is a fucking discussion forum. There isn't a single one of us here that wasn't a noob at one point.

And the search engine blows goats. The google one that is linked above is good, but the one on this site is terrible.

I realize some basic questions get old, but lighten up a bit.

</div></div>

Actually, yes.

There are noobs that have taken the time to look into what they're interested in, and there are those who don't want to put any time into it, and expect people to write long responses to stupid GENERAL questions.

------------------------------------------------

"wuz a gud guns dudes? ive looked all the major players, but what r ur recommendations?"

^ Dumb question that shows you actually <span style="text-decoration: underline">haven't</span> looked much.

------------------------------------------------

"I'm looking into a 600 yds 308 setup, rifle and glass. Want to stay factory and under a budget of $XXX.XX. I need a rifling of at least 1 in X because I want to stabilize XX weight bullets. What kind of groups are yall getting with this kind of setup, I'm hoping for at least 0.X MOA.

I also need a scope that I can use equally well between 200 and 600 yds, don't need a great FOV for hunting, but would like at least X magnification for paper. Currently considering a Bushy Elite XXXX series X-XxXmm. Any experiences with these on heavy recoiling loads?

My shooting ability is XXX with a XXX setup. <span style="color: #FF0000">(This is important, too many people asking accuracy expectation questions when THEY actually can't outshoot their current toys.)</span>

Thanks for your input guys."

^ Great question(s) that shows the OP took his/her time before asking for ours.

---------------------------------

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtechgunman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this how y'all always treat noobs?

I realize some basic questions get old, but lighten up a bit. </div></div>

well said.

As for the post, well if you have plenty of money buy an AI or a TRG, if not buy a remmy700 something. As for scopes again if you are flush go S+B, Nightforce, Leupold, if not go Bushnell, Weaver etc.
If you are only shooting 200m the cheaper options will serve you well, they just wont feel, look or ultimately shoot and operate as well.
For real improvements in your shooting, practice good technique and learn to load, get a sweet, accurate load and a cheapie remmy will do the business. Good Luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcatsfan11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The search engine </div></div>

Can we please get this a sticky
laugh.gif
or maybe I should use it in my sig.......

(AKA BAD ASS NEW GLASS!!!!!!!!!!!)

the search engine should be emailed to new users when they register

Actually, the search engine in the top left is working a lot better lately. I believe Lowlight made some setting changes to it recently and mentioned it in the shout box last week. The trick is if you're searching for a two word phrase to put it in "quotes".

Search for Accuracy International and you'll pull up every recent post with "Accuracy" or "International" in it, but if you search for "Accuracy International" instead, it only pulls up posts containing that specific set of words.

OP, do some searching on the subject to at least come up with what your intended purpose is going to be, and also decide if you want a platform that you can modify later down the road. If you plan on improving it from stock, then definitely go for something in the Remington 700 platform for the widest range of available options.

Also, state your total budget for the build for much better advice and scour the for sale forum for some excellent deals on quality firearms.

Depending on budget would be the decision maker for me between Remington and Savage.And for straight out of the box accurracy I would say Savage would have to be the one.But it is the luck of the draw.I have a Model 700 223 heavy barrel and I have always shot handloads for it so I couldn`t tell you as far as factory ammo.The Savage F class I have been shooting one the last couple of weeks that a friend bought used and it will shoot unbeleivable with the first box we got(regular Hornady 150gr).And another friend bought a stainless synthetic hunting setup in Savage last year and I watched him shoot a 3 shot clover leaf at 187yds.This was with handloads.I don`t actualy own a Savage now because when I did they had like 10lb triggers.But they seem to be the only one now striving hard for the best accurracy!Anyways good luck and tell us what you get.Don`t pay no attention to the ones that post stuff like "REALLY THIS AGAIN" because there is more posts like that on here than helpfull posts it seems.A matter of fact if they will do a search on how many times somebody has said use the search function it would probably blow the server up.This is supposed be a place to help not to be a butt.If it has been asked a lot then it is probably a good question or should be a sticky.

Out of the box my savage 10fple is a better shooter than my 700 Sps tact. It is sub moa with more types of factory ammo along with being more accurate with like ammo between the 2 rifles. Both of them are 20" versions and both stocks are equally terrible in one way or another. I would recommend a savage on a budget.

You can't go wrong with the Remington 5R and a NightForce 5.5-22X50(or 56).

Budget concerns will be your major factor. Spend the money on one good rifle and spend more money on better glass. Spend AT LEAST as much on glass as your rifle if not twice as much.

Both platforms will shoot amazing given the 700 and Savage platforms. The 5R will do better than the SPS, and the Savage BRs will probably do better than the FP's. The Savage BR rifles will be much heavier and not as packable if that is a factor for you. If this is for bench only.. they will be great. It won't be something you'll want to use in a tactical comp. The Savage allows you to work on them at home with a few tools, where the Remington will require a good gunsmith (many of the best found on here). Go find all you are interested in and throw the bolts and get behind them and see what plus'/minus' they both have and choose. In the end I think the quality of glass you have will determine more than the rifle itself.

Welcome and cheers

freemanr250, welcome. About three months ago, I was in the same place that you are. Not sure about what to get or why. I'm no stranger to rifles, but I'm coming over from the AR camp where I shot mostly rifles that I built myself with good success. When it came to bolt guns, I was at a loss, so I'll share what I've discovered and let the rest of the guys tear it apart.

So...I'll tell you what I did. I started with a Remington SPS Tactical. I looked at and shot the Savage and didn't like it. It seemed to me that the action was longer than it needed to be and I really didn't like the floating bolt head. It just seemed to me to be a weak point (although I'm sure that many will debate that). Anyway, I got my SPS Tactical that came in a Hogue pillar bedded stock with the X-Mark trigger. These components are highly criticized. Still, mine shot consistent 1/2 MOA groups out of the box. The reality is that it just isn't that hard to find a rifle capable of shooting MOA or better.

Where I really put my money was in the scope. This is, to me, the most important part; and for me, there is no other than Nightforce. In the field of upper class glass, Nightforce is the best bang for the buck, in terms of build quality and glass quality. Spend something in the neighborhood of $1500, give or take a bit, and you could very well be set for life, as far as optics go. Nightforce isn't the best(in terms of glass quality), but it's up there.

Since I got my rifle, I decided that I had the long range bug, so I started making my rifle really my own. I started off with an HS Precision stock. I got it for $200. It was a pull off from a Remington 700P and I picked it up used. Next, I added a Timney trigger. $100 at most places. Lastly, I had the rifle re-barreled. I went with a Krieger. It really didn't add much to the accuracy, but I don't have problems with copper fouling any longer and the rifle does maintain its accuracy and point of impact when the barrel is hot. I was getting some POI drift and the groups were opening up more than I thougt they should when things got hot, with the stock barrel.

Bottom line, get an SPS Tactical.

On the other hand, I have had thoughts about Savages. If you aren't adverse to getting a Savage type of rifle, you could very well just jump right in with a full on semi-custom job. Start off with a cheapie Stevens rifle. I've seen them new for under $300. Strip it down to its action, sell off the barrel and stock. Get a barrel from either Krieger, Pac Nor, or other good barrel maker, add a Bell and Carlson stock and trigger of your choice.

I guess that in all of this rambling, I'm just trying to convey that there is more than one right choice. It's a matter of budget really. Remington, Savage, Howa and Tikka all have offerings that can make you happy.

We have a 3200 Elite on our .223 Rem. 700 and have no regrets.
It's particularly relevant now because Natchez's has them- and the 4200's- on closeout at the best prices I've ever seen.

I also recently bought a Vortex Viper- and would suggest you consider them as well. But, for the sale $$- the Bushnells are one hell of a value IMO.

These three options will give you a competitive tactical rifle.

Rem 700, AICS stock (or similar), new barrel, new trigger, $2000

Sako TRG 22, 20" barrel or 26", $3000

GAP Gladius 308 or 260 Remington, $3850

Best deal on a tactical scope that has ALL the features is probably a Nighforce at $1200 or more.

If that is out of your budget perhaps a heavy barrel Howa, Tikka or other similar model in 308 for under $1000 would be an option, topped off with a $300 tactical scope. It would work, but not as well.

There are actually a lot of possibilities.

you could always get a 700 5r skim bed the stock with devcon, or sale the stock and use the money to cover half of a better stock, though bedded the stock will be more than fine. Get a ptg tactical bottom metal good scope rings/ and base (tps) if on a budget and a 10X42M super sniper If you are going to shoot one load the kenton ind. can make you a bdc turret. or other scope of that comparison.
just an idea.

A budget $$ is kinda mandatory for the advice you're seeking, isn't it??