• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Winchester

For those that are fans of the 155 class of bullet, would you go berger 155.5 or the 2156 sierra 155? Or a 155 tmk ?

Rifle is a 20" 9 twist lilja with an m852 match chamber.
Whichever is most readily available and shoots the tightest. Probably can't lose with any of those if you can get one to shoot.

Reactions: XP1K
For those that are fans of the 155 class of bullet, would you go berger 155.5 or the 2156 sierra 155? Or a 155 tmk ?

Rifle is a 20" 9 twist lilja with an m852 match chamber.

Why a 155? It has a crap BC and you have a short barrel so not going to be able to get it going as fast as the people who usually shoot them with 28-30" Barrels. I would be using one of the new 168-178grn bullets with they much better BCs in your set up.

Reactions: nick338
Or give the new Sierra 169 Matchking a look. It has been extremely accurate in my M1A.

Reactions: XP1K
Why a 155? It has a crap BC and you have a short barrel so not going to be able to get it going as fast as the people who usually shoot them with 28-30" Barrels. I would be using one of the new 168-178grn bullets with they much better BCs in your set up.
I'm giving thought to trying cortinas blackjack challenge. I wanted something I can drive the snot out of and limit the recoil a bit. It only has to go 500 yards. The rifle has a load with a 178 that it likes but it's a bit much.

I guess I could always revisit the old standby 168 smk. I haven't loaded any in this rifle since it got its new barrel.

Reactions: TDWilson
I'm giving thought to trying cortinas blackjack challenge. I wanted something I can drive the snot out of and limit the recoil a bit. It only has to go 500 yards. The rifle has a load with a 178 that it likes but it's a bit much.

I guess I could always revisit the old standby 168 smk. I haven't loaded any in this rifle since it got its new barrel.

The 168 SMK is another crap bullet in this day and age. The BC is terrible compared to the 168 ELD-M or the 169 mentioned. I would try both of those before a 155 or 168 SMK.

Reactions: straightshooter1
Hey @Rob01

Your thoughts/experience/recommendations for heavies (200 grain+) in the 308?

I have some 200 grain TSX, 215 berger vlds, and a few Hornady 208s.

Powders?

Wish I could help but never went over 190grns with the .308. For my shooting needs the super heavies never gave any advantage. Sorry. I am sure someone else will chime in as I know some here do use those.

Many years ago, I fired over 17,000 rds of 308 155 Lapua Scenar, with max loads of Varget, and single digit S/Ds, with 27" barrels...it was used to 1400yds.
It will work at 500 yards with ease, even in a 20".
My 16" AR 10 was shooting a variety 155s 2800 to 2900 fps, the worst of the lot was 155 tipped SMK...switched to the 168 ELDM and got 1/2" 5 shot groups at 2756 fps average...so that's what I set it up for.

The 169 and 177 SMK are much better than the 168 SMK. The 168 ELDM has a good BC for a 168, if your barrel likes it.

Today I prefer to shoot 8 and 9 twist 308 barrels, with bullets from 200gr to 230 gr and longer barrels to 30" for long range endevors.....even the 22" hunting version has a 9 twist for 200gr to 230 gr bullets.

Berger 155.5 Fullbore bullets are the gold standard in that weight class. There is a reason top Palma shooters use them exclusively.

For the blackjack challenge you should use the heaviest Berger you can that shoots small groups. For known distance shooting, heavy and slow beat fast and light almost every time. Heavy bullets have less wind drift than the lighter bullets.

Last edited: