• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Winchester

Thanks. I think R.STOCKFISCH might find that info helpful. And here's some more info for him and you that might be found helpful:

View attachment 8065639 View attachment 8065640

View attachment 8065641
Man that is awesome. Thank you for all of that info. I appreciate it.

Still interested in knowing what the reasoning is behind loading the 200 ELD X in the 308 ?
Is it trying to use the .597 G-1 BC ?
Because, to me, reloading the same shit everyone else does is boring. I like to try different stuff. Nothing really more than that. You just never know what you might find when you stray off the beaten path. I have a bunch loaded up for my trip to the range tomorrow. I want to see how they compare to my usual 175rdf load out to 750.

Reactions: straightshooter1
I had a few of these on hand. Just wanted to see how they would do.
Nothing wrong with that. I loaded up 195 ELDM/TMK in .308 once, just for kicks. I didn't have a chrono at the time so I don't know how slow they were going. But they shot well enough at 100.

Mike

Hello everyone, Im new here and I'm relatively new to reloading. Are Hornady 178gr ELD-X and ELD-M bullets worth the effort? (for a beginner). I cant get them going fast enough to use the B.C. Has anyone ever pulled one of these bullets and weighed the charge? 2300 fps with 42.4gr. of Varget isnt very good, but the bullet is so long that seating depth starts to be ...questionable if I were to step up the powder charge. I think I have the wrong bullet....for now anyway. The factory ones are great, .....Thanks for all the great info ! I will keep reading. ( Rem.700 20" heavy barrel )

Hello everyone, Im new here and I'm relatively new to reloading. Are Hornady 178gr ELD-X and ELD-M bullets worth the effort? (for a beginner). I cant get them going fast enough to use the B.C. Has anyone ever pulled one of these bullets and weighed the charge? 2300 fps with 42.4gr. of Varget isnt very good, but the bullet is so long that seating depth starts to be ...questionable if I were to step up the powder charge. I think I have the wrong bullet....for now anyway. The factory ones are great, .....Thanks for all the great info ! I will keep reading. ( Rem.700 20" heavy barrel )

First don't pull factory bullets and weigh the charge as it's a powder you can't get or use.

Have you gone up anymore with Varget? What brass you using? With a factory 700 you will have a long throat. They are all like that. You don't have to load that long. If you have an internal mag then 2.820" is about as long as you can go so just load there. ELDs don't mind a jump.

Reactions: Gohring65
What brand of brass are you using?

What is your COAL (Cartridge Over All Length) that you're using?

2300 fps sounds like something isn't quite right, given that amount of Varget.

Here's some numbers that might give you some idea how a 178 ELD-X might perform loaded to an COAL of 2.800":

178 ELD-X  - 20in - Varget.jpg

First don't pull factory bullets and weigh the charge as it's a powder you can't get or use.

Have you gone up anymore with Varget? What brass you using? With a factory 700 you will have a long throat. They are all like that. You don't have to load that long. If you have an internal mag then 2.820" is about as long as you can go so just load there. ELDs don't mind a jump.
I was just curious about the factory charge just for capacity sake. I realize Its not feasible in any way to copy. Im nervous about going too far with powder loads. I dont have enough experience to understand pressure issues. I sat one of those 178 ELD bullets next to a 175 SMK and it is almost 1/4" longer. I kind of wish I wouldnt have gotten them but maybe as I get better at this stuff I can use them. I have new Hornady brass and new Lapua brass and a ton of once fired federal brass out of my gun. I shot some decent groups today with some of the Federal brass and 168's. I tried to post a picture but it took up the whole screen, sorry about that.

I was just curious about the factory charge just for capacity sake. I realize Its not feasible in any way to copy. Im nervous about going too far with powder loads. I dont have enough experience to understand pressure issues. I sat one of those 178 ELD bullets next to a 175 SMK and it is almost 1/4" longer. I kind of wish I wouldnt have gotten them but maybe as I get better at this stuff I can use them. I have new Hornady brass and new Lapua brass and a ton of once fired federal brass out of my gun. I shot some decent groups today with some of the Federal brass and 168's. I tried to post a picture but it took up the whole screen, sorry about that.
It’s not about length of bullet but where they hit the lands measuring to the ogive of the bullet.

Powder charge will depend on powder and also oal of cartridge. I load mine at around 2.840” and load 44grns of Varget with Hornady and Lapua brass. When I used Winchester/Black hills I was up to 45grns. All depends on what your rifle likes. If you don’t feel comfortable working up then stick with the 168 SMK now but don’t plan on them to do well at longer ranges especially if they are slow.

Reactions: Rick MandP
Had round were the bolt would not close so I set aside for inspection later.
Got home and it measured .310" OD, so the neck was thicker by the corresponding amount.

20230212_210347.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, I’m very new to the reloading scene and wanted to as a question.
Previous owner of the rifle I purchased did a load development and uses RL15 powder. That’s a pain in the ass to find near me so I was wondering if there is anything comparable I could switch to without noticing a huge difference. Thank you!

Hello, I’m very new to the reloading scene and wanted to as a question.
Previous owner of the rifle I purchased did a load development and uses RL15 powder. That’s a pain in the ass to find near me so I was wondering if there is anything comparable I could switch to without noticing a huge difference. Thank you!
Accurate 4064 or Varget, though the A4064 would be closer, IMHO.

Reloading some ELD-X w/ 41gr of IMR- 4064 in .308. My lands are at 2.760. I have a lot of crunching going on which tells me it compressed. I want to be .020 of the lands. I can’t even reach 2.760! Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks
Which eldx? I've had compressed loads that shot very well. 200 eldx with a very compressed load of 748 for example was a pretty good load for me in recent history. My thought would be seat it where you want to try it and start low and work toward your goal on the powder.

Not having a chronograph is a real bummer. I have a 20'' SPS heavy 1-10 twist barrel. My 43.2 IMR 4064 load is just great for accuracy out to 500 (so far...those are my giant pictures) with 168 SMK but not having a good velocity number is aggravating. Not as aggravating as wind , lol but aggravating. If someone has a barrel similar to mine and has ever tried 175gr SMK's with 42.5gr of IMR 4064 , a velocity ballpark would be much appreciated. Im gonna have to buy one but right now all i could afford is future garbage , i have to wait until i can at least get the one that straps to your barrel. Shoot straight everybody.

Not having a chronograph is a real bummer. I have a 20'' SPS heavy 1-10 twist barrel. My 43.2 IMR 4064 load is just great for accuracy out to 500 (so far...those are my giant pictures) with 168 SMK but not having a good velocity number is aggravating. Not as aggravating as wind , lol but aggravating. If someone has a barrel similar to mine and has ever tried 175gr SMK's with 42.5gr of IMR 4064 , a velocity ballpark would be much appreciated. Im gonna have to buy one but right now all i could afford is future garbage , i have to wait until i can at least get the one that straps to your barrel. Shoot straight everybody.
42.5 4064 20" 1/10 Rem AAC/SD Heavy 175 SMK Hornady Brass CCI BR2 2440 FPS.

Hey all,
Brand new here and am just getting into 308 loading. (Used to a lot of loading way back in the day for 5.56.

I've picked up a Rem 700 SPS with a 1x10 twist just to get my foot in the door of a little more longer range shooting. (Since I no longer get free weapons and ammo compliments of Uncle Sam and all of us wonderful tax payers) The barrel has already gone through the proper break-in cleaning cycle so its ready for dope collection.

From what I have gleaned from everything I was good with the Hornady 168 BTHP match bullets that I snagged along with the rifle. (200 pcs)

I have standard BR2 primers and just ordered some Varget to get going. (Going to start with 43.5gr to get a base line and work up to 45gr to make sure everything is working properly.

HOWEVER, when it comes to brass, this is where I am kind of up in the wind. I was given 200 pcs of never fired Sig 308 brass. I have no reference as to how this performs and cannot really find any meaningful data on it. Does anyone have any experience with it? Should I even use it outside of just plinking ammo paired with a 150gr or something?

Any info would be awesome. Also if there is anything that I am missing in regards to my load feel free to chime in, my 308 reloading cup is empty at the moment.

Bullet: Hornady Match 168gr HPBT
Case: Sig 308 (New)
Primer CCI BR2
Powder: Varget (43.5gr to start ramping up to 45gr)

11B, about the only I'd suggest is that you size either the neck or the whole case, depending on what dies you have , and the only reason I do this with new cases is to be working with the same neck tension

Hey all,
Brand new here and am just getting into 308 loading. (Used to a lot of loading way back in the day for 5.56.

I've picked up a Rem 700 SPS with a 1x10 twist just to get my foot in the door of a little more longer range shooting. (Since I no longer get free weapons and ammo compliments of Uncle Sam and all of us wonderful tax payers) The barrel has already gone through the proper break-in cleaning cycle so its ready for dope collection.

From what I have gleaned from everything I was good with the Hornady 168 BTHP match bullets that I snagged along with the rifle. (200 pcs)

I have standard BR2 primers and just ordered some Varget to get going. (Going to start with 43.5gr to get a base line and work up to 45gr to make sure everything is working properly.

HOWEVER, when it comes to brass, this is where I am kind of up in the wind. I was given 200 pcs of never fired Sig 308 brass. I have no reference as to how this performs and cannot really find any meaningful data on it. Does anyone have any experience with it? Should I even use it outside of just plinking ammo paired with a 150gr or something?

Any info would be awesome. Also if there is anything that I am missing in regards to my load feel free to chime in, my 308 reloading cup is empty at the moment.

Bullet: Hornady Match 168gr HPBT
Case: Sig 308 (New)
Primer CCI BR2
Powder: Varget (43.5gr to start ramping up to 45gr)
Please share your results, I just ordered VARGET, Hornady 168 ELD-M, and a loading kit and would be interested to see your results. I also have a 700 police (same barrel I believe as the SPS).

It's been a long time but.....

Hornady brass, fgmm primers, barnes matchburners and 43.7gr of varget
Lapua brass, 42gr imr4064, fgmm primers and Sierra matchkings.....both
Those loads have shot extremely well in every 308 barrel I have seen...

It's been a long time but.....

Hornady brass, fgmm primers, barnes matchburners and 43.7gr of varget
Lapua brass, 42gr imr4064, fgmm primers and Sierra matchkings.....both
Those loads have shot extremely well in every 308 barrel I have seen...
They were seated to a COAL of 2.800?

Rick Mand P,
According to Quickload, 42.5, 175 SMK from a 20" barrel would be a little over 2500 fps. I've found Quickload to be very close to actual velocities.
Data that I have from 43.0/4064 shows 2626 from a 26" barrel, 20" barrel would be about 100 fps less, so that would be right in the ballpark for 2500+.

John

Rick Mand P,
According to Quickload, 42.5, 175 SMK from a 20" barrel would be a little over 2500 fps. I've found Quickload to be very close to actual velocities.
Data that I have from 43.0/4064 shows 2626 from a 26" barrel, 20" barrel would be about 100 fps less, so that would be right in the ballpark for 2500+.

John
Pretty doggone close... 42.5 gr of IMR 4064 in Lapua brass with CCI BR2 primers @ 2.800" will push a 175 SMK about 2550 fps from the 20" barrel on my wife's .308

4064 isn't too bad about temperature, but it will swing a little from that velocity depending on how hot/cold it is outside.

Mike

Had a decent range day with 175 SMK's. Windy....up to a full MIL hold , it was great !!
Remington 700 SPS tactical Magpul Pro Chassis / 20" heavy barrel / Arken SH4 6-24x50 / DeadAir Sandman "S"
175gr SMK
42.2 IMR 4064 (too conservative in hindsight)
Hornady brass
Fed 210 primers
Running .020 off

NO CHRONOGRAPH , but I think I was around 2475 fps as my "d.o.p.e." on the Hornady app was pretty true at that number.
.....Ended up getting all the way out to 900yds (twice) but was tearing up 800yds and in. Going to try and find 50 or so more fps
and get that 900 yd steel and 1000yd steel next weekend. Im blaming wind on my struggles today but Im also blaming the wind for how much fun it was. Anyway , a lot of my fun was because of info found here from all of you so....thanks for that. -Rick-

Rick Mand P,

John
I appreciate it. I went a little conservative with my load and I regret it. Next week I can push the load a little further. Hopefully , accuracy will hold out.

Pretty doggone close... 42.5 gr of IMR 4064 in Lapua brass with CCI BR2 primers @ 2.800" will push a 175 SMK about 2550 fps from the 20" barrel on my wife's .308

4064 isn't too bad about temperature, but it will swing a little from that velocity depending on how hot/cold it is outside.

Mike
Im in Florida , so i had a solid 74 degrees all day here in the Panhandle. Like I mentioned earlier....I went too conservative on my load. Still had a great time fighting the wind and getting hits. I cant thank all of you guys enough for the knowledge transfer going on around here.

Im in Florida , so i had a solid 74 degrees all day here in the Panhandle. Like I mentioned earlier....I went too conservative on my load. Still had a great time fighting the wind and getting hits. I cant thank all of you guys enough for the knowledge transfer going on around here.
DstRfl and I both noted LAPUA brass. Don't get yourself in trouble by jumping up a bunch using your Hornady brass.

Mike

Im not going to. I just feel like I left a little on the table is all, A tenth or 2 more powder and possibly a different primer . I wont go crazy for sure. I have a bunch of New lapua brass I havent loaded yet. I just want to get my stuff together before I move to my good brass. I do want to find a load that is as close to the edge as accuracy will let me go though. I have other guys around me out there hitting the 1000yd plus targets , I just cant bring myself to ask them to give me the cheat code , lol....Its easier to ask here 100%

Reactions: OkieMike
Had round were the bolt would not close so I set aside for inspection later.
Got home and it measured .310" OD, so the neck was thicker by the corresponding amount.

Mike
I have 200 pc's of Lapua brass. I will definitely give this a shot. I dont have that primer though. Im looking on the daily for sure.

Mike

This thread goes back a while, so I feel compelled to post my question more recently than 2007. I have been doing some chrono work with my 308 and a new bullet/powder combo and seeing what seems like unusually high velocities. Wanted to get thoughts/recommendations related to whether you think I'm getting into dangerous pressures given the velocity. I have always used a Varget/175SMK combo and now trying the Nosler 175RDF and IMR 4064 combo I picked up a few years ago due to availability.

Rifle:
Savage 10FP-LE2B 26" BBL 1:10 twist

Old load:
44.4gr Varget
175gr SMK
Fed GM210M Primer
Winchester case
Avg Velocity: 2743fps

Note: This is approaching the max load of 45.0gr of Varget and never seen pressure signs, get plenty of reloads out of my brass, and have shot over 1000 of this load through the rifle.

New load:
43.1 up to 43.7gr IMR 4064
175gr Nosler RDF
Fed GM210M Primer
Winchester case
Avg velocity (43.1gr 4064): 2750fps
Avg velocity (43.4gr 4064): 2764fps
Avg velocity (43.7gr 4064): 2793fps with a weird spike to 2832fps on one of the shots

Note: This is nowhere near the max charge of 45.6(C) grns per Hodgdon's Reloading Data Center and their published velocity for the max load is 2728fps...I'm already exceeding that with a much lower charge. There were no signs of pressure. Their test barrel is only 24", but I didn't think 2" would make such a drastic difference, if that's what you all think it is.

The powder is about 1 year old and has been stored properly.

EDIT TO ADD: These chrono results (including my old load) were all taken on the same day. Barrel was allowed to cool between strings.

Reactions: ks3d4me
178eldm, Fc308 brass with 42.4 grain Imr 4064 2.86 oal/2.222bto 16.5” semi auto measured with a lab radar and averaged 2460ish.

If you have access and can shoot out to distance, you can use a ballistics calculator to estimate your velocity off your drops. I had been shooting that load for a couple hundred rounds and I did not test velocity till I ran into someone with a lab radar. Had been using 2470 in the bc cal, from my my dope on target, it was close enough… and actually the day I shot over the chrono was in the 50’s when the prior shooting was on much warmer days. So its a legit way to do it , especially if you record wind and pressure.

Last edited:
One for the 'never assume' bucket.. Just started loading up some 175gr SMK. Followed the suggested 2.800 OAL, which equated to 2.216 CBTO. The FGMM 175 SMK I have were also ~2.800 OAL but ~2.203 CBTO.. I wanted to see where my lands were so took out the FP and ejector. The FGMM had no binding on closing, but mine did. I had to seat my bullet to 2.193 CBTO (2.777 OAL) to not feel the bullet hit the lands. I had only loaded the first three sets (41.7, 42, 42.3 of IMR4064) and haven's shot them yet. Went ahead and reseated to 2.193 CBTO. Guess I'll go in from there instead of out.. I guess this also means there's a slight profile difference between my bullets and the ones in the FGMM. I checked 10 FGMM and 15 of my reloads.

Rifle is a Remage that I built with a Criterion Mcree Precision barrel. Checked the go & no-go gauges also and it didn't close on the no-go, and closed on the go.. So I guess it just has a short throat (If that's the right term).

Last edited:
Do you know what chamber Criterion cut for your bbl. ? They used to {?} offer 4 slightly different 308 chambers. Did you take one of your longer CBTO rounds ,mark the case neck and bullet with a magic marker to see where the binding was at ?
Just a thought

It's a match chamber.. but I was wrong.. it's a McRee Precision vs Criterion. Been shooting mostly 110gr V-max with it at coyotes so far. Also loaded some 180gr soft point for pig a while ago, checked a few of those that I still have and they were off the lands at the depth I had them seated.

Here's a dummy round I just put marker on. The empty spot around the case mouth is me being sloppy, not because the bullet got pulled out a little on extraction. The Hornady comparator hits the bullet above where the markered lands are. This dummy bullet was at 2.802 COAL, 2.218 CBTO.

bull.jpg

Last edited:
One for the 'never assume' bucket.. Just started loading up some 175gr SMK. Followed the suggested 2.800 OAL, which equated to 2.216 CBTO. The FGMM 175 SMK I have were also ~2.800 OAL but ~2.203 CBTO.. I wanted to see where my lands were so took out the FP and ejector. The FGMM had no binding on closing, but mine did. I had to seat my bullet to 2.193 CBTO (2.777 OAL) to not feel the bullet hit the lands. I had only loaded the first three sets (41.7, 42, 42.3 of IMR4064) and haven's shot them yet. Went ahead and reseated to 2.193 CBTO. Guess I'll go in from there instead of out.. I guess this also means there's a slight profile difference between my bullets and the ones in the FGMM. I checked 10 FGMM and 15 of my reloads.

Rifle is a Remage that I built with a Criterion Mcree Precision barrel. Checked the go & no-go gauges also and it didn't close on the no-go, and closed on the go.. So I guess it just has a short throat (If that's the right term).
Hmmm??? It does sound like a very short freebore in that chamber. But, I'd take a visual with a borescope to see if there's anything unusual that might be giving a false measurement. As mentioned above, the magic marker technique might be helpful too.

And yes, there can be substantial difference is the SMK's BTO's from one lot to another. I've had as much as .033 difference, though that's been a few years ago now and haven't seen that much variance recently. But you can expect .010 - .015 of variance and maybe a little more from lot to lot.

Howdy my .308 reloader's,

I feel like this question could be a thread in itself. But, I'll ask here first since it's pertinent to reloading for this cartridge.

The 2022 Hodgdon reloading manual shows a 1:12 twist barrel for all .308 Winchester data. Does barrel twist rate have any correlation to chamber pressures and reloading data? If so, how does that effect heavier .30 cal. projectiles in the .308 Win. case? I have a PVA 1:9, 24" M24 contour barrel on my R-700 action and wanting to push some 200.2 Bergers downrange. I ALWAYS start with the starting powder charge(per the manuals that I have) and worked my way upwards in 0.5 grain increments until the OCW is shot or pressure signs appear. However, my twist is faster and I'm uncertain if that correlates to using the provided information correctly or safely. I certainly know the signs of creeping up on over pressures. Perhaps I'm considering a hair that doesn't need to be split, but It was cause for pause and a question worth discussing. :)

Thanks!

I feel like this question could be a thread in itself. But, I'll ask here first since it's pertinent to reloading for this cartridge.

The 2022 Hodgdon reloading manual shows a 1:12 twist barrel for all .308 Winchester data. Does barrel twist rate have any correlation to chamber pressures and reloading data?
No.

Yes it does, That's why Palma built rifles have a slower that normal 308 twist so they can drive the 155 gn. Palma bullets at 3000 + fps.
Try that with the same bullet in a 1-10 twist barrel.
200.2 Gn. bergers , ??, I might suggest you try and find some SRP brass .

Last edited:
Reactions: Shrike and ColinW

The 2022 Hodgdon reloading manual shows a 1:12 twist barrel for all .308 Winchester data. Does barrel twist rate have any correlation to chamber pressures and reloading data? If so, how does that effect heavier .30 cal. projectiles in the .308 Win. case? I have a PVA 1:9, 24" M24 contour barrel on my R-700 action and wanting to push some 200.2 Bergers downrange. I ALWAYS start with the starting powder charge(per the manuals that I have) and worked my way upwards in 0.5 grain increments until the OCW is shot or pressure signs appear. However, my twist is faster and I'm uncertain if that correlates to using the provided information correctly or safely. I certainly know the signs of creeping up on over pressures. Perhaps I'm considering a hair that doesn't need to be split, but It was cause for pause and a question worth discussing. :)

Thanks!
As Old Corps 8541 said, yes it does! It is my understanding that is why some of the really serious shooters prefer a gain-twist or progressive rifling in addition to the accuracy advantages. That said, for the average handloader that is staying within book charge weights, it's probably not anything to worry about but to claim it has no effect whatsoever is incorrect. Ideally, you should use a chronograph and see if your velocities are in the neighborhood of other available data (such as from reloading manuals). It won't be exact, but if you're shooting something like 200fps faster than the book says, you definitely have pressure regardless of whether there are signs.

Your 1:9 barrel twist is probably a good match for the heavy-for-cartridge bullets like the 175's and above.

Reactions: ColinW
Didn't the 'Corps manage to get those big ol' heavy 175s to stabilize out of a 1:12 twist for a couple years? :D

1:10 - 1:12 has been the standard for bullets that weight range for a long time. I remember a member here getting pretty good results with the 208 A-Max in a .308...can't remember if he was a 1:10 or not, but do know that he wasn't any faster.

The 12 twist was used in all variations of the M40. I think the 11.25 twist goes back to the M24 for the US Army. It was not required for M118LR 173/175 gr bullets used. I haven't run the numbers in years but as I recall when you look at Velocity/BC the 308/7.62x51 peaks in the 200 grain range.

Now , back to 308 reloading , has anyone tried VVN N 550 in a 308 with 168 / 175 gn. bullets ? I'm thinking it as a replacement / alternative to Varget

Now , back to 308 reloading , has anyone tried VVN N 550 in a 308 with 168 / 175 gn. bullets ? I'm thinking it as a replacement / alternative to Varget
The numbers don't suggest that N550 is an "alternative" to Varget any more than any other powder suitable for a .308. N550's burn temperature is close to the same, but it's a much slower burning powder. For N550 to get the same velocity as Varget, you need about 10% more of it. And I don't think it's as temperature stable as Varget. Otherwise, I don't see why it can't be used in a .308 cartridge for those bullets.

I believe it was 42 grains of IMR-8208XBR that pushed Hornady 176 grain A-tips to 2450FPS verified on my chrono and my shooting partner verified they had the supersonic crack as they passed overhead at 1000 yards. They did not keyhole and made round holes at 1000 yards. Wilson Combat super sniper barrel, aero-precison upper Vortex 16-60 scope.

Attachments

• 308-1.jpg
    308-1.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 308-2.jpg
    308-2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 308-3.jpg
    308-3.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 97
JBM calculations shows you are less than 100fps above speed of sound, definitely in the trans sonic area. Weather conditions may prove to be an issue.

John