• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308Win.Ackley Improved

Ahhh, long range hunting. Shooting AT Elk, Bison or what have you from nearly a mile out. My conclusions is basically this: it is not ethical hunting (in my belief system) taking a nearly mile long shot at a grazing animal who at that point doesn't have any clue somebody is out to get him/her. Scent is meaningless for the most part at that distance so they have no real defense - not very sporting and skillful IMO.

IMO, part of hunting is the stalk or for shotguns the skill to call birds (duck/some goose though geese generally "do what I want." ). Nothing's worse than having the skill to call ducks in to where they're cupping their wings than to have some asshole(s) at a public range (Bayou Meto) skybust your ducks. When I did my primary hunting (before we lost our lease) we would lure them in to where #8's would have taken them out. SKILL at the hunt, not skybusting. Skill = skill at calling ducks (tone, different phrasing, etc), no movement in blind, no sound, blend in with the environment. Skybusting is the game birds equivalent to taking a pot shot likely to injure (and ultimately kill) an animal with little-to-no chance at retrieval. Same for ducks. Skybusting where a dead bird will land outside of the retrieval area is not kosher and it does count towards the limit - same thing for "long range hunting (like ChiefBullShitter is talking about)."

Seems like this using "long range" 308 hunting cartridge, which is questionable to kill something like an elk at 600 yards, to shoot at 1700+ yards is lunacy. Granted, apparently we all (but 1) know at 1700 yards that 308 isn't going to get there; but just the same, just the thought sickens me as a sportsman.

Last edited:
. The 300Win.Mag and 338 are good platforms but the .308Win. will never go away. Up to about 1400 yards the other sub-calibers will outshine the .308. After that they rapidly fall away for the simple reason that their respective centers of dynamic and gyroscopic balance become mutually antagonistic and they tumble disastrously. After 1700 yards the .308 is still stable.

I bet the OP is using his Counter Sniper Scope on this set up.

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper
Ahhh, long range hunting. Shooting AT Elk, Bison or what have you from nearly a mile out. My conclusions is basically this: it is not ethical hunting (in my belief system) taking a nearly mile long shot at a grazing animal who at that point doesn't have any clue somebody is out to get him/her. Scent is meaningless for the most part at that distance so they have no real defense - not very sporting and skillful IMO.

IMO, part of hunting is the stalk or for shotguns the skill to call birds (duck/some goose though geese generally "do what I want." ). Nothing's worse than having the skill to call ducks in to where they're cupping their wings than to have some asshole(s) at a public range (Bayou Meto) skybust your ducks. When I did my primary hunting (before we lost our lease) we would lure them in to where #8's would have taken them out. SKILL at the hunt, not skybusting. Skill = skill at calling ducks (tone, different phrasing, etc), no movement in blind, no sound, blend in with the environment. Skybusting is the game birds equivalent to taking a pot shot likely to injure (and ultimately kill) an animal with little-to-no chance at retrieval. Same for ducks. Skybusting where a dead bird will land outside of the retrieval area is not kosher and it does count towards the limit - same thing for "long range hunting (like ChiefBullShitter is talking about)."

Seems like this using "long range" 308 hunting cartridge, which is questionable to kill something like an elk at 600 yards, to shoot at 1700+ yards is lunacy. Granted, apparently we all (but 1) know at 1700 yards that 308 isn't going to get there; but just the same, just the thought sickens me as a sportsman.

I have hit center of mass on metal silhouettes like 'Evil Roy' out to 350 yards with my Confederate Smith .50 caliber swivel-breech carbine. With 40 grains of FFFg behind a 300 grain dual groove Minie conical, it was the 7.62x39 of it's day, and it still packed a hefty punch that far out. I would NEVER think about hunting with it beyond 50 yards though. Even with a modern optic with reticles specifically tailored to black powder ballistics pertaining to that specific gun. And it is not just about the code of sportsmanship... The Smith carbine round even at maximum power does not guarantee a clean or ethical kill on most large game beyond it's intended range of 50 yards.

Reactions: BytorJr
I have hit center of mass on metal silhouettes like 'Evil Roy' out to 350 yards with my Confederate Smith .50 caliber swivel-breech carbine. With 40 grains of FFFg behind a 300 grain dual groove Minie conical, it was the 7.62x39 of it's day, and it still packed a hefty punch that far out. I would NEVER think about hunting with it beyond 50 yards though. Even with a modern optic with reticles specifically tailored to black powder ballistics pertaining to that specific gun. And it is not just about the code of sportsmanship... The Smith carbine round even at maximum power does not guarantee a clean or ethical kill on most large game beyond it's intended range of 50 yards.
Soooooo, Elmer Keith didnt really kill that running mule deer at 600 yds with a .45 colt revolver then......or was it an elk with a .44 mag:unsure:

Soooooo, Elmer Keith didnt really kill that running mule deer at 600 yds with a .45 colt revolver then......or was it an elk with a .44 mag:unsure:

Both Keith and Ed McGivern had pushed the limits of almost all revolvers, from percussion .36 Colts to .44 Mags... However, harvesting game at the ranges that they had done, or modern Rocky Mountain states hunters with scoped rifles for that matter, require skill that I, and many others do not think we possess, so for us, it will have to be silhouettes or paper for the time being...
smiley_smartass.gif

Both Keith and Ed McGivern had pushed the limits of almost all revolvers, from percussion .36 Colts to .44 Mags... However, harvesting game at the ranges that they had done, or modern Rocky Mountain states hunters with scoped rifles for that matter, require skill that I, and many others do not think we possess, so for us, it will have to be silhouettes or paper for the time being...
smiley_smartass.gif
It's about like Fred and Barney catching Adobe Dick.

• Haha
Reactions: Blue Sky Country

I love sky busting crows and calling in ducks. One time, i called in a group of like 400 ducks. Well, 5 of the group landed and we had to wait for them to do the rest. We each limited out in 2 shots. Tick-a tick-a tick-a whackkkkkkk whackkkkkkk whackk

Never successfully hunted crow. But I can see skybusting them as they're considered a pest type bird and not a "sporting bird." Regardless. I remember once hunting, the field about 1 mile away must have had over a million maybe even 1.5 million geese land in it. Snows. Back in the 80s before Canada geese made a comeback. They were landing and milling about for at least 5-6 hours!!!!!!!!! Didn't kill any ducks that day, but just watching that many birds milling and landing was one of the most stunning sights I've ever witnessed. I guess had I illegally used a rifle to shoot waterfowl, I could have nailed a few with a 308AI from the blind. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper
As a 308 guy I am going to get involved. If you take a 308 ( best everything ever)...A.I. that badass and you get a cartridge that will not only kills bad guys buttttt.... NOT NEED TRIMMING AS MUCH. That is worth it in my book. It is Cience...don't make this shit komplicated.

As a 308 guy I am going to get involved. If you take a 308 ( best everything ever)...A.I. that badass and you get a cartridge that will not only kills bad guys buttttt.... NOT NEED TRIMMING AS MUCH. That is worth it in my book. It is Cience...don't make this shit komplicated.
That is not the matter of contention. What is, is that the 308AI is the best ever two mile cartridge (and it's apparently, according to OP, magical properties).

You wanna talk about being on the edge. I’ve got a marlin lever action .22lr with a tubular mag with a plus two extension. It’s got a1:16 twist. But I took a .307 drill bit and reamed the rifling from the end of the barrel about 4 inches or however long the bit is. Then I took a brownels hand crowning tool and beveled the crown BY HAND. Oh man. To top it off I put on a bsa sweet .17 scope with Bdc lines set up for .17hmr. Hell yes!

This is where it gets awesome. I shoot .22 shorts through it. Haha. I know your thinking no way. But I do!!!

So get this. The other day there was a squirrel at 125yards. I thought oh shit that’s far as fuck. So I unloaded all the rounds in the mag. It was like a whole box of shorts. AND SINGLE LOADED one .22 short. Except I put a strip of scotch tape on the base to tighten up head space( bingo)!!!

so I took aim right in the head with the 125yard cross hair. Mind you it’s for .17hmr. Then I held even higher !!!! Called wind at 27moa and let loose. Watched the trace all the way in and the bullet skipped right off of the squirrels dome and it ran off.

I felt like......

Coldboremirarcle

skipping a .260 off an elks dome that time.

LOL no fucking way this isn’t a shill. The whole fucking post looks copy and pasted.

Also what kind of retard does an improved chamber in a 308?

Hi,

Except it is not and he is not, lolol....
Did you read the amount of words old William used to just review a savage replacement bolt handle, lol....

Sincerely,
Theis

You wanna talk about being on the edge. I’ve got a marlin lever action .22lr with a tubular mag with a plus two extension. It’s got a1:16 twist. But I took a .307 drill bit and reamed the rifling from the end of the barrel about 4 inches or however long the bit is. Then I took a brownels hand crowning tool and beveled the crown BY HAND. Oh man. To top it off I put on a bsa sweet .17 scope with Bdc lines set up for .17hmr. Hell yes!

This is where it gets awesome. I shoot .22 shorts through it. Haha. I know your thinking no way. But I do!!!

So get this. The other day there was a squirrel at 125yards. I thought oh shit that’s far as fuck. So I unloaded all the rounds in the mag. It was like a whole box of shorts. AND SINGLE LOADED one .22 short. Except I put a strip of scotch tape on the base to tighten up head space( bingo)!!!

so I took aim right in the head with the 125yard cross hair. Mind you it’s for .17hmr. Then I held even higher !!!! Called wind at 27moa and let loose. Watched the trace all the way in and the bullet skipped right off of the squirrels dome and it ran off.

I felt like......

Coldboremirarcle

skipping a .260 off an elks dome that time.
This is a classic. Don't waste those shorts now...they're as 'spensive as long rifle now. You may want to either sneak into 110 yards next time.

Reactions: thejeep
This is a classic. Don't waste those shorts now...they're as 'spensive as long rifle now. You may want to either sneak into 110 yards next time.
Don't leave us hanging. What is the other option?

Reactions: thejeep
Don't leave us hanging. What is the other option?
Ooops. I was going to suggest backing off a great distance so that a "lob approach could be used." So that gravity would be the only "propulsive force" of the little 22 short's bullet which may provide more "knock-down" power.

Ooops. I was going to suggest backing off a great distance so that a "lob approach could be used." So that gravity would be the only "propulsive force" of the little 22 short's bullet which may provide more "knock-down" power.
I may experiment with grinding into the bullet in thirds with a triangular file in hopes that the newly created Finns will guide the bullet in. Box says I’m good for 1.5 miles so with Finns hoping to stretch it out to 2 miles.

OP wants to cheat at F class

We shouldn’t turn this thread into a AI 308 thread

3E723B61-4A09-4F3E-8C46-B499F05CB5E5.jpeg

Who TF has that kind of time on their hands? Homie should take up masturbation as a sport instead.
He probably be watching Lunkerstv, they both can talk for 20 min at a time and never get one piece of useful information out of their mouth.

I see your .308 AI 26” fiddle stick, and raise you one 6.5 Creedmoor 22” with a can.

Well it's all good as I said previously.
The respondents here, unfortunately, have been raised in America to think that "my opinion" counts.
It really doesn't, not in the face of facts; those engaging in foul mouth replies simply show themslves to be inferior to the discussion here.
Your web-site is a laugh and has no credibility.

Well it's all good as I said previously.
The respondents here, unfortunately, have been raised in America to think that "my opinion" counts.
It really doesn't, not in the face of facts; those engaging in foul mouth replies simply show themslves to be inferior to the discussion here.
Your web-site is a laugh and has no credibility.

I 100% agree about facts, but you are here stating your opinion, which happens to be certifiably retarded. 308AI is a joke. Period.

Since SH sucks perhaps you’d have better luck with the Fudds on THR or something. They’d probably even give you the cool guy of the day award for professing your erotic love with such a crappy chambering option.

Reactions: Bender and JakeM
I 100% agree about facts, but you are here stating your opinion, which happens to be certifiably retarded. 308AI is a joke. Period.

Since SH sucks perhaps you’d have better luck with the Fudds on THR or something. They’d probably even give you the cool guy of the day award for professing your erotic love with such a crappy chambering option.
Op don’t pay attention to those bastards! A lot of us here love an AI, myself included.

Below is an early m40 replica I picked up from tactical rifles.com.
They told me it is an exact replica and it only cost me$11,000 and 2 years wait. Boy is it a shooter. They married a precision air gauged .177ai barrel to this beautiful walnut stock.

3695F6B8-3649-4CB4-AF57-1A504E216160.jpeg
2C6177FA-1336-4EEA-A026-D1C12E58EBEA.jpeg

Ok well it’s really only .177 but I had it custom engraved to give it that AI pop that we all know and love!

Here is a through the scope pic. I went with moa based sight cause well they just are more precise.
611888A5-87B4-4FFF-AA6C-6C0B60A34FEF.jpeg

I think it is obstructed by my front sight which by the way is zeroed at 33yds. On the dot I brought a tape measure to the range, but there is a crow perched on one of the clouds. Or was cause I just blasted it. One shot one kill!

Anyway just wanted to let you know some of us really appreciate AI even in sub calibers.

edit: it does have an extended magazine that holds like 150, but every since I went AI I have to single load.

Meh, I got tired of non paragraphed walls of text mixed in with insults of how the site has no credibility from some dude that signs his screen name to a post that doesn’t know anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeftyJason
I would but the recoil injured my hand. It is an AI after all. I may hold onto it till after the election. Just in case shtf.