• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 building

Alaskashooter

Lead Slinger
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2014
Alaska
Hello everyone, I'm new to SH and had a few questions I wanted to bounce off people.

If YOU were going to build a .338 LM what action, stock/chassis, barrel, trigger, optic, magazine or single, acessories would YOU use, and WHY?

In all honesty it doesn't matter what your purpose is for using it, I don't see myself using it in a combat situation unless we are attacked, so I'm really just building a rifle that I can shoot farther than my 6.5creed.

Right now if everything was in stock and all the financial stars were in line I would be getting a surgeon action, mcmillan a-5, kriegger barrel ss with 1:10 twist, jackson trigger, optic is either s&b or nightforce, surgeon detachable mag, and then I have no clue what kind of can I would use yet.

check around there is the exact same post only a few days ago. that being said (this was in the other thread as well), take a look at the TRG-42, probably cheaper and just as accurate. when guys start talking that one gun is more accurate or what is more robust etc.. on this site we nit pick way too much (myself included). a good custom and top notch TRG, AI, DTA will shoot neck and neck, that means better the guy pulling the trigger.

how about the 300 win mag, you can get to a mile if you hand load, and a hell of alot cheaper to shoot. i have both so i can't throw stones..LOL

Remington 700P in 338LM and be done with it. ;) Considering the costs of ammo, I wouldn't be shooting it much...but I'd at least have the caliber in hand at a reasonable cost.

Once I shot the barrel out...have it trued up and add a Bartlein barrel.

300WM was also on my list...Was also planning on the 700P as well.

Basically the same post as the other day, and the same answer.

Defiance action
Bartlein barrel AMU contour 28"
Seekins dbm
Manners T4A
Thunderbeast 338p-1
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MOAR
Fluting by Kampfeld, and built by LRI

Not lookin to buy a gun outright, the price of buying most guns is about the same as if I build them. Seeing as how I have all the machinery to do this I prefer to build them. It is also one of the only things my Dad and I have ever been a le to do together with out telling the other to go camp on a d&$@!
300 will shoot a mile yes its cheaper but if I cared about price of ammo that much I would have never built a 6.5 creed.

Trigger29, why do you choose those options?

stiller, surgeon

3 grove (get a little more life out of it) bartlein, kreiger, mike rock 1-9 to 1-10 (there are so many twists in that range now, they are all the same at the end of the day)

aics, ashbury saber-forsst (favorite), manners 5a (i like pistol and thumb hole grips)

night force 50mm (not 56mm just seems to big and to high for the extra FOV and 30 seconds of shooting at dusk). SB are really nice but i never did not take a shot because of NF glass. i also dropped my rifle from a tree stand and it landed on the scope, nothing more than a scratch or two, and still same zero.

timney, or shillen trigger. i like a fatter pad for my finger

Spuhr ISMS mount (has bubble level in the base)

you will probably find the same list of parts from everyone after a while. there are about 3-4 barrel, action, stock manufactures out there that everybody use and talk about. pick any combo and you will not be disappointed.