• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

338 edge build help!!!

losthelegend

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
South Western Wyoming
I have read and read and read on this build and have come to the conclusion that now I might have too many options. I have narrowed down my build and would love to have some constructive criticism. I am doing this build off of a Remington 700p action that I currently own. I am using the rifle for canyon to canyon shots on elk and high desert hunts in WY. I would like to use 300 bergers for the ammo.

Here is the list:

Mcmillan A3 stock with bipod stud
30" barrel with spiral flutes, sendero type w/ 1-9 twist
CSR 4 port muscle brake
tactical bolt knob
Wyatt's 4.0” cf box mag
recoil lug
square true and lap action
chamber in 338 edge
tune trigger
bed action
fluted bolt
cerakote flutes metal color black action/SS barrel

OPTICS:

nightforce 5.5x22x56
NF rings
NF 20 MOA base

What do you guys think? Am I forgetting anything? Are there better options? Should I go with an aftermarket trigger? If so, what brand?Is the twist that I have selected the right twist? I am very open minded in regards to this build and am willing to take any constructive criticism or any ideas on how to make this build better. I only want to build it once! Thanks in advance for all your advice and help.

Re: 338 edge build help!!!

I'd recommend Shilen, Jewell, or Timney for your trigger. The pull weight on it is your call but I like 1.5#.

I would recommend going with Badger bottom metal or something else besides Wyatt. I have owned the Wyatt in my R700 300WM and although it performed decent, I had to wrap a layer of electrical tape around the top to get rid of the mag wobble I had. It could have just been an unlucky batch, but I definitely have had no negative issues with my Badger. Everything else looks like a pretty solid build.

For the barrel I'd recommend Bartlein, Brux, Kreiger, Shilen, Rock Creek...the list goes on. I've had great experiences with many different types of barrels so I can't say I'd recommend one over another necessarily.

Re: 338 edge build help!!!

Seekin's bottom metal, Badger Lug, cut the barrel to 28" at the most you want need the other 2". What contour is the barrel? If it's around .800 at the muzzle APA's "lil bastard" break is hard to beat. Oh ya, I'd do the 30moa base, you might want to really streach it out.