• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Edge - who's running one?

dareposte

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
www.dop3.com
Anybody here running an Edge?

What action? Barrel? Stocks? Projectiles?

I've been tinkering around with a 338-06, and just ordered a donor Rem700 300 RUM to get started on my Edge build. It's addictive..

My current thoughts are a Pac-nor or Hart barrel in an AICS 1.5, but the only thing ordered so far is the 700 donor rifle.

I'd love to hear anybody's experiences or advice on this caliber.

Re: 338 Edge - who's running one?

Here is one.........
.338Edge
+0.100 Throat
0.370 neck
standard load 300gn SMK 93gn H1000 @ 2855fps
Lilja 30" barrel
Worked Rem action.
D.E. Adjustable cheek piece
Custom brake
NF Scope
ACI/ADI

mypic32.jpg

They are a great caliber and easily done on a Rem700 action.
30" barrel w/300gr SMK will get you 2830-2850fps. Have a friend who took a mule deer at 1360 yards last year with his.

Standard throat. Lawton 7000 magnum BF. B&C Tactical stock. Rock Creek 5R 9.4 twist 29.7" barrel, fat bastard break. Seekins DBM (still waiting on a funtioning mag) 91.3 gr H1000 2880 fps.

If I were doing it all again, I'd probably go the single shot route. Less hassle and really no disadvantage for speed (in my application). I have plenty of time for follow ups loading one at a time and it would be nice to never have to worry about fitting into a mag. I don't recommend having a custom length throat eiter. From what I found out, the additional room allowed by pulling the bullet out of the case, you'll reach pressure signs before you run out of case volume.

I hit the mile target at TVP last sunday with this combo.

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!

Love mine!

30" Hart fluted 1-10 twist
338 EDGE
Wyatts box mag
Defensive Edge brake
Defensive Edge cheekpiece
Defensive Edge oversized bolt knob
HS Precision Stock
Snakeskin camo
Tubb lug
Nightforce 20 MOA base
Nightforce LW rings
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 50 NPR2
Teflon Coyote brown finish on metal

Here I am shooting it at a local long range match:

IMG_0090.JPG

Several very cool builds, thanks for sharing them! I can't wait to get mine together and join in the fun.

From what I've read most (all?) Edge's are using necked up 300 RUM brass, either with 338 RUM dies backed out some or a handful of custom made dies. I've been searching for 300RUM brass for a few days, and tonight finally found some in stock at Cabelas of all places, $89/100 for Rem brass. I picked up 100 pcs and a set of 338RUM RCBS dies.

All that's left to find now is a barrel and a stock, looks like most are using ~30" barrels with 1/10 twists, I was thinking the same thing and it's good to see the 10 twists stabilize the 300grs no problems.

Goin'Hot - what made you go for the 9.4 twist rate? How's it shoot? I hear the 5R rifling is smooooth.

1:10 twist will work just fine for the 300gr SMK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Standard throat. Lawton 7000 magnum BF. B&C Tactical stock. Rock Creek 5R 9.4 twist 29.7" barrel, fat bastard break. Seekins DBM (still waiting on a funtioning mag) 91.3 gr H1000 2880 fps.

If I were doing it all again, I'd probably go the single shot route. Less hassle and really no disadvantage for speed (in my application). I have plenty of time for follow ups loading one at a time and it would be nice to never have to worry about fitting into a mag. I don't recommend having a custom length throat eiter. From what I found out, the additional room allowed by pulling the bullet out of the case, you'll reach pressure signs before you run out of case volume.

I hit the mile target at TVP last sunday with this combo.

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! </div></div>
If you reach pressure signs before you run out of case room, just change to a slower powder.

1:9 - 1:9.5 works better, 300SMK will stabilise in in 1:10, but its marginal and people are learning that closer to 1:9 is better. Many poeple, myself included, could not get very good accuracy from the 300SMK using 1:10. Then we go down to the 250SMK or lapua or hornady 250gr match bullets and then find accuracy, go figure. Then again alot of people get fantastic accuracy from the 300SMK using 1:10...

if you look at the bullet stability factors and the length of the 300SMK, 1:9 is a better choice.

I really only want to shoot the 300gr SMK's. Otherwise there's not much ballistic advantage over a 300WM (aside from downrange energy).

So maybe I should be looking for a 1:9 or 1:9.5 twist barrel, it sounds like it wouldn't hurt anything and might help.

The fast twist is a good idea. Make sure you get a long enough barrel as well. I would probably opt for a 31 or 32" tube at this point as a way to get some extra velocity without additional pressure. The faster you can get the 300's moving, the more impressive they become.

What's your ultimate reason for the rifle? Hunting, Tactical comps or just blastin'?

I plan to just shoot steels really really far away.

I've never shot to the mile mark before, and not sure I could even do it without a lot of work and practice, but I definitely want to try.

I would probably not hunt with it, the cartridge seems to be overkill for pretty much everything around here. That said, if I happened to spot a coyote far out there, and it wasn't too windy, and he wasn't moving around too much...

I did order the barrel today, a 338 Pac-Nor 9.5" twist.

I went for the 30" length, with a "Varmint" contour.

I thought about going longer, and to your point it would probably help, but 30" is quite a stick already and it seems like a lot of people are getting great results with that length.

8-10 week wait, so I guess I get to chill for a while.

using the 338 ultra mad dies backed out will work but you will quickly get a click at the top of the bolt cycle. this is due to the .090 or so of the case that NEVER gets sized. i chucked up a 300 ultra die and opened the necked area so it does nothing to the brass. but it does full length size the rest of the case with .002 shoulder set back. if you dont have access to a lathe, you will have to live with the brass issues or fork over BIG money for edge dies. for those of you who are thinking of using the 300 RUM bushing dies with the proper bushing, think again. i was told by two very reliable sources that it will not work. i wasnt going to take a chance with a $75 die. in any case, you will love the edge and find that you CAN NOT get more performance for the money. remington brass has been going 8 loads before the primers fall out. 1-10 rock 6-groove shoots the 300SMK just fine.

chuck

Chuck, I do have a lathe. How exactly did you modify the dies?

I figured they would be hardened and not easy to modify but that's a pretty good idea.

If the dies arent hardened I might just be able to use a chamber reamer and ream them the .090 deeper.

My plan right now is to just use the 338 RUM dies backed out some, and try to just neck size the brass. Maybe bump the shoulder a hair every once in a while.

My barrel is a normal 5-groove, why did you pick a 6-groove?

Savage 110 (Repeater with 3.850 OAL)
Shilen Select Match 30" Bull 1:10
RWS Brake (Installed by Up In Arms Design)
Stockade Tactical Stock
SSS Trigger / Recoil Lug
Warne base
Mark 4 4.5-14 X 50
Burris Extreme rings

Edge2.jpg

Edge3.jpg

93 grains of H1000, 300 SMK's @ 2888

yes, and you can also get them from redding as well 169.00$ 338/300 dies. pacific tool and guage has the throaters and finis dies as well as the go\no-go guages. Just ordered my rock creek 30" 1-9.4 heavy fluted as well. same thing, about 10 week wait.

I have a set of redding 300 ultra bushing dies with a 365 bushing and it loads my 338 edge just fine.No alterations were done to the die.I have also heard it won't work,but it has been just fine.

Pac-Nor emailed me today, and said their current lead time is running 6 weeks! Not too bad for a custom barrel I suppose.

<--- marks the calendar for May 27th

i used my lathe to open the neck area up with a carbide boring bar. the dies are hardened but it does not go very deep. nice to know the 300 ultra type s dies will work without mods. saves a LOT of money.

chuck

I've one being built right now. I went with a Shilen SS match select. It'll finish at 30".

I called RCBS the other day, they have 300-338 FL dies for $145.

KeithR41

god i want this rifle so bad !!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AKAce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage 110 (Repeater with 3.850 OAL)
Shilen Select Match 30" Bull 1:10
RWS Brake (Installed by Up In Arms Design)
Stockade Tactical Stock
SSS Trigger / Recoil Lug
Warne base
Mark 4 4.5-14 X 50
Burris Extreme rings

Edge2.jpg

Edge3.jpg

93 grains of H1000, 300 SMK's @ 2888
</div></div>

I have a .338 Edge built by Shawn Carlock.
It is a Rem 700 action, 28" Broughton (Sendero taper 1-10"), DE lug, brake, Jewell trigger, McM A-5 (desert tan), DE ACI/ACD, coyote tan finish, Nightforce base & rings, NF 5.5x22x50 R1, Seekins DBM,....sweet rifle.
Nosler brass seems to be more consistant than Rem. brass regarding accuracy.
Pictures355.jpg

Pictures266.jpg

I have been running .338RUM dies for my Edge for several years with no problems. Redding also makes body dies if you are worried about the base expanding too much.

30" #7 1-10 twist Lilja @ 2840FPS. I have it built on a Rem 700 action and my smith recommended this as the longest-heaviest barrel for my action (along with QD brake).

Here is my list:
31" broughton 5C heavy Palma contour 1:9.4 twist
worked Rem 700 action
badger lug
badger knob
badger extractor
seekins dbm
Farrell rings
Farrell 20 moa g force base
manners t5A stock
4 port muscle brake
jard trigger kit
nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56

I have the redding dies I ordered from Sinclair as they have them listed as .338/.300 rum , and the box reads this as well but the dies are stamped .338 rum and after a few hours on the phone with Sinclair and them on the phone with an engineer at redding I'm told that they do not make the correct die for a .338/.300 rum that all the boxes they have in stock that are marked this way all have dies in them stamped .338 rum and this is perhaps useable but not the correct die. All peope involved were extremly friendly and I was offered a full refund several times I am in no way complaining about Sinclair or redding , I was very impressed with the initave of the peope at Sinclair to actually call redding up and wait till they could speak with an engineer impressed the hell out of me and they will continue to get my business , just passing on what I found out. I also have a set of custom reamers I ordered that I plan to use to ream the die to the correct spec. My rifle is currently being assembled minus the stock I am Waiting for and should ship any day now .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: locotrician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm told that they do not make the correct die for a .338/.300 rum </div></div>

Well I know this ain't right.

I talked to Redding less than a month ago to get the part number for the two die set, which they confirmed was in stock, then promptly called my smith to order it for me. Both dies are marked 338/300 Ultra, and the part number is 80924. I just got done prepping 100 pieces of brass and worked as expected.

Sounds like it was more of a inhouse packing issue, because they do, in fact, make this die set, along with a deluxe three die set, if you're so inclined.

ok i will make a small clarification on this , i was talking about the "match" die set with the micrometer top as for a standard set i have no idea wether they make on or not . maybe there was some sort of mistake involved but i was put on hold while the guy went and opened up they boxes of dies and checked them , so in an inhouse packing issue sounds probable but i would have thought they would have recognized the problem as such and told me. thanks for the info though.

The Defensive Edge set comes with a bushing style sizing die and a micrometer seating die. The sizing die has the tapered expander and comes with the correct bushing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Defensive Edge set comes with a bushing style sizing die and a micrometer seating die. The sizing die has the tapered expander and comes with the correct bushing. </div></div>
That's the set I got with my rifle.

i never said nor meant to imply that your making it up. but maybe you shold call and talk to sinclair or redding and see if they tell you what they told me. and i may be wrong here as well but i believe the dies you bought from defensive edge are dies shawn buys and modifies to .338 edge as i plan to do with mine.

I'm sure he does modify his dies. I think mine are stamped 338 RUM.

As soon as I win the lottery I will have a different 338 edge for each day of the week. I just might have to make up a new calendar and make a week longer???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So whatst he advantage of going with the .338Edge over say the .338Lapua? </div></div>

The advantage is you can run the 338 Edge in a Remington 700 action and get 338LM. The caliber is based on the 300RUM which uses a smaller bolt face than the 338LM.

If you have a 338LM action-there is no advantage.

What kind of barrel life you guys getting with the Edge?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So whatst he advantage of going with the .338Edge over say the .338Lapua? </div></div>

If you have a 338LM action-there is no advantage.</div></div>

Cheaper brass and More FPS is an Advantage.

Scott,
you are a better man than me to be able to shoot that EDGe without a brake.
Nice looking rifle. Can't go wrong with an EDGE and 300gr SMK's.

Picked my rifle up last Thursday, threw a scope on it and shot to 1600 on Sunday with good hits. Conditions were perfect thankfully. My whole goal was to reach a mile. Since I did that on day one (for the most part, minus 160yds,) now my dilema is what do I do with it next.

Guess I'm gonna have to build a .375 or .408. It never ends and the Edge rocks.

KeithR41

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picked my rifle up last Thursday, threw a scope on it and shot to 1600 on Sunday with good hits. Conditions were perfect thankfully. My whole goal was to reach a mile. Since I did that on day one (for the most part, minus 160yds,) now my dilema is what do I do with it next.

Guess I'm gonna have to build a .375 or .408. It never ends and the Edge rocks.

KeithR41</div></div>

Here is your next goal with the Edge:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1788288#top

Consider me uneducated, but there just isn't a lot of guys shooting long range in my part of the world. Too many trees! I was wondering how the felt recoil of the 338 Edge or Lapua compares to my 7mm mag. Mine's weighs just over 12 pounds, no muzzel brake and no recoil pad. Obviously there's many more factors but I'm just talking average?