• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Lapua build, action choice input sought

reconrover

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2006
Kandahar, Afghanistan
www.arf15.com
Howdy all,

I've gathered a Tac 21 Chassis, and a Shillen #7 contour barrel for a .338 Lap build. There are a lot of choices for 700 Rem based actions, and I'm seeking input on the best value for the dollar purchased. What I do not want to repeat is in my purchase of a Montana action, that while priced well, needed a lot of lapping of the bolt, and safety. Would like something set up well out of the box.

The rifle will be used for non competition long distance shooting, and hunting on ocassion. I've read up quite a bit on Surgeon, though it seems kind of heavy, Stiller seems to be well regarded on this site, but I have not read much on Badger or other actions available. I prefer a complete set receiver, bolt, trigger, and bottom metal that accepts AICS mags.

Any input/experience is certainly appreciated. Thanks much. PG

Re: .338 Lapua build, action choice input sought

I have been very happy with my Stiller TAC338 - happy enough that I used their TAC30AW actions on two other builds.

While not a complete set, when I was looking, I found Defiance to be very nice. I then added a Jewell trigger, and they can cut the action for whatever bottom metal you want to run. I went with seekins, but you can use something with AICS mags, and have the action cut for that bottom metal. Defiance has a nice set of options on their recievers and will pretty much build it the way you want it. More of a true custom than ordering something like a Stiller, where they are all the same. You can choose your tang style, and port style, things like that. I was very impressed when mine showed up. Nothing wrong with Stiller, or any of the others you mentioned, but I'm loving the Defiance.

How about a Badger M2008/M2013?

I have an M2008 in 260. Love it.

I like my Surgeon XL Action, and I just tried my first BAT action and it was excellent.

Get the surgeon because if the integrated recoil lug. It is much thicker than a standard recoil lug. Personally I have an AX338 and wouldn't use any other action. But since you have parts for the build Surgeon would be a great action to use.

Having been out of the long distance game for a while, the input received so far has been great! Really like those Defiance actions. I had read somewhere that the Surgeon action tends to bind some with a full magazine, and first round insertion. Do you find this to be true. Also, with the Surgeons, would you say that they need any additional lapping work from the factory, or are they fully prepped?

Thanks for all the input, it really is greatly appreciated.

Pat

As CEGA said above, I also use a Stiller TAC338 action and Im very pleased with it. very smooth in operation and doesn't need any work from the factory, you will need to purchase a trigger however, doesn't come with one. though I think most don't.

I haven't personaly used a Surgeon XL or Badger M2008/M2013, however a lot of people here have, and from what I have read they are quality actions as well. Can't really go wrong with any of the three that have been mentioned above.