• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua vs. 300 Magnum

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
For long range shooting & hunting, what advantage does a .30 Cal magnum (pickone: WinMAg, WSM, RUM) have over the 338 Lapua? Ammo cost for me would be a non issue - for 'light loads I would use a 308 & if you reload, then a Lapua does not cost that much more to shoot than a .30 cal magnum. Either one really requires a muzzle brake. The .30 cal magnums deliver 3000 to 4000 fl-lbs of energy whereas the Lapua delivers 4000 to 5000 ft-lbs. Obviously the Lapua is a bigger jump, but if I can't do it with a 308 then does it matter if I step up a little or allot? Ballistic coefficient favors the Lapua.

What am I missing here?

This has been a debate for many years. Each has it's own merits but I chose to have a 308, 300 RUM, and a HS Precision 338. I can load the 338 light with 250 Grain or go long with 300 Bergers. If you already have a 300 of some sorts then you can load down to the 308 level or up to the 230 Berger and get close to the 338 at some distances.

I agree that each has its own merits. I currently only have a 308. The question for me is if I do not have a RUM or Lapua (which I do not), then do I really need a RUM, or will just getting a Lapua suffice? I.e. is there too big a gap between the a 308 & a Lapua?
This has been a debate for many years. Each has it's own merits but I chose to have a 308, 300 RUM, and a HS Precision 338. I can load the 338 light with 250 Grain or go long with 300 Bergers. If you already have a 300 of some sorts then you can load down to the 308 level or up to the 230 Berger and get close to the 338 at some distances.

My not very scientific view is that if you have a .338 Lapua Mag for the big or long range stuff and a .308 for the little or nearer stuff you're set. No need to have the Lapua and a 300 win mag or equivalent. I shoot a 6.5X47 and a .338 Lapua mag and that pretty well covers everything from nearby to way out.

Just my opinion of course and about all you'll get from the peanut gallery.

frank

My not very scientific view is that if you have a .338 Lapua Mag for the big or long range stuff and a .308 for the little or nearer stuff you're set. No need to have the Lapua and a 300 win mag or equivalent. I shoot a 6.5X47 and a .338 Lapua mag and that pretty well covers everything from nearby to way out.

The only thing I would add to the above is there are rational for higher firepower rifles for inside 300-400 yard work....something like an AR15.

I'd look into the 300 Norma shooting the 230's best of both worlds, will do anything a lapua will, but if it's just between these two calibers I'd go with 338

David

If I were only able to have 2 rifles it would be a 308 and 338. The 338 is very versatile and will cover the gap from 308 to almost a 50 Cal. I have a McMillian TAC 50 to but it never gets shot since the 338 with 300 Bergers will do anything I have ever wanted to do. 338 with a good muzzle break and practice, practice, practice to get the most out of it. The reloading cost between 300 and 338 is negligible depending on where you buy your components. I have 338 Lapua brass (300 rounds) but I found 600 rounds of 338 Privi brass as a gun show for $250 so I bought all of it and it seems to be holding up well. I use 3 loads right now to see what works the best. 250 Senar, 285 Hornady, and 300 Berger. In my rifle they all shoot excellent but when we shot out to a mile in WV the 285 seemed to hold a better group with less wind effect. I have stuck with H1000 for all 3 loads.

There are a lot of great shooters on here with a wealth of knowledge but no matter what you end up with, practice and data logging is the only way to get the most out of your combination.