• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Lapua

Kevin Rass

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
Im trying to build up my whole collection of rifles to eventually have enough training and practice to shoot comp. Looking for the best .338 bolt action possible while competitively priced. Currently have my eyes set on the savage 110BA, Remington 700 XCR, Remington M24, Nighthawk Precision tactical, Armalite AR 30, and the Les Baer Tactical 338. If worst comes to worst will save the money for the McMillan 338 tac and just get the best but any help would be Greatly appreciated

Re: .338 Lapua

The "best" is a subjective thing that will be different for every shooter for numerous reasons. Personally if I am after the best rifle for me I'm not going to buy an off the shelf rifle. Rather I'm going to pick talk to a gun smith and have them build me a rifle that fits me.

For us to give you any sort of helpful feed back we need to know a few things. What are going to be using the rifle for? What do you consider "competitively" priced? Are you dead set on factory sticks or are you willing to wait on a custom rifle?

My vote is also for the Stiller TAC 338. It is purpose built for this. Good luck with your choice.

Honestly, im inexperienced when it comes to 338, i was willing to go to 408 with the cheytac m200, but price whys were talking 6 grand, and 338 lapua holds the longest kill record

honestly what ever would be best, and if i knew what to do to make a custom rifle, id be willing to take that route

i was told the longest kill was the 338 McMillan Tac, i live in california so the options are limited

i have been building my own guns and just learned about 338 lapua, i am not that experienced with all the callibers and am learning as i go

Why does it matter what round holds the longest kill? I'm sure a lot of other calibers could have got the kill had the shooter had a rifle chambered for that round.

I'm with Outsy on this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevrass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was told the longest kill was the 338 McMillan Tac, i live in california so the options are limited </div></div> This is not true, it was done with a L115A3.

Hi guys
Excuse for hijacking the thread and my bad english.

Will a 1.45 inches action for 338 LM have any advantage in acuraccy potencial against one with 1,40 inches due to increased stiffness, if both are repeater? Theoretically the 1,45 have advantage, but in real world, will I see any difference? Someone with experience or knowledge to share?
Just to inform,I never saw anyone of these, but hope to be a owner in the future .
Even if a have to sell my dog...

If you can afford it, I would suggest looking around for a really good deal on a used AI .338 rifle, I've seen them going for $5500 to $6000 (or less for an older one)

But honestly, I'd say between all of those rifles the shooter themselves will make more of a difference than the rifle......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ActionPhyto69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But honestly, I'd say between all of those rifles the shooter themselves will make more of a difference than the rifle...... </div></div>
The rifle will almost always out shoot the shooter. A good mid-range cost for the .338 LM ($2,900.00) can be had in the Sako TRG-42. It will shoot with any of the higher priced "custom" guns and out shoot most of the "off the shelf" guns. Sako accessories are expensive but then accessories for any .338 LM are expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ActionPhyto69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But honestly, I'd say between all of those rifles the shooter themselves will make more of a difference than the rifle...... </div></div>
The rifle will almost always out shoot the shooter. A good mid-range cost for the .338 LM ($2,900.00) can be had in the Sako TRG-42. It will shoot with any of the higher priced "custom" guns and out shoot most of the "off the shelf" guns. Sako accessories are expensive but then accessories for any .338 LM are expensive. </div></div>

I was about to say the TRG42 also but my internet connection was lost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ActionPhyto69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But honestly, I'd say between all of those rifles the shooter themselves will make more of a difference than the rifle...... </div></div>
The rifle will almost always out shoot the shooter. A good mid-range cost for the .338 LM ($2,900.00) can be had in the Sako TRG-42. It will shoot with any of the higher priced "custom" guns and out shoot most of the "off the shelf" guns. Sako accessories are expensive but then accessories for any .338 LM are expensive. </div></div>

My point exactly, regardless how well the guns shoots, most of the time it's the shooter that makes the difference......meaning most of those rifles shoot better than the shooter if not all of them.....my word!

simple questions.

Have you ever shot out to 1000 yards?

Do you even have the range where you can use a .338LM?

Why would you care what has "the longest" anything?

Do you live on a two way range?

Kevrass, don't take it personal but when you come on here for the first time and start posting about how you just found out about the 338 lapua and repeatably state you want one because someone has the longest kill with it, you are going to get some negative responses. From what I have seen so far this place just requires a little more professionalism that's all. Majority of the members are accomplished and/or professional shooters. All options mentioned are great but I vote for the Stiller Tac 338 so you can build your own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boise Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my trg-42, shoots incredible. </div></div>
This, I found a very good comparason between the AI and TRG, that made me go TRG, the accuracy was the same, but the costs are much less for the TRG. That is until you buy the accessories for it.

Hello Kevrass,

IMHO the best way to go for you would be purchasing the Savage or Remington to start. Both of these rifles are more than capable of getting you to your stated goal: getting practice so you can compete. I'm not sure what type of competetion you want to get into, but these rifles will allow you to work on shooting fundamentals, ranging, wind reading, etc... Also, be sure to spend as much as you can on a really good scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevrass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">honestly what ever would be best, and if i knew what to do to make a custom rifle, id be willing to take that route
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevrass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have been building my own guns and just learned about 338 lapua, i am not that experienced with all the callibers and am learning as i go </div></div>

So which one is it kid? If you have been building your own guns dont you think you would know what goes into a custom?

Like I said, go back to playing video games.

If you're wanting a great deal on a .338LM go to the trading post. Big Joe has a Nighthawk for sale at a smoking deal.

If you go with a .338 you are looking at a pretty significant investment into the rifle and the caliber. I got the Sako TRG42 and it has shot 5 shots in under .2".

That being said if this is your first rodeo into long range you should consider starting with a .308. Learning on a .338 will be painfully expensive.

I know sometimes its hard to get answers that are actually about your posted question. I'll try to help you out. Since you are after a competitively priced rifle, I would say hands down the 110BA. My brother has one that he picked up for $1900 from Sportsmans Warehouse. I loaded up some 300gr and 250gr Sierra Matchkings for him and in the initial testing I shot several 5 shot groups that were around 1.75" at 400 yards with both 250s and 300s. Our range stops at 1000, but this gun is awesome and accurate at that range, Im working on some longer range targets right now. Its true that the lapua is spendy to shoot, but if you can afford it, I gurantee you'll love shooting and loading the thing. Bottom line: for price, I don't think you can beat the Savage. I know they even have one or two other models in the lapua that are cheaper that the 110BA. Check out their site. Good luck!

thank you for the help guys, i just snagged an oppurtunity with the armalite ar30, my dealer actually got the call from his supplier ten minutes before i was in there, he only gets them like every six months, and for 2 out the door with case, i cant complain in the least

i just finished my ar 10 so i am doin just that with the 308, thanks man

i saw you went with the magpull prs and buttstock adapter, i was thinking of doin the exact same, what would you compare the difference as

The main reason for me doing it was so that I could add a monopod on the stock and look professional, plus you had the added cheek welf if you needed it! Oh and it looks good.

I hope you know how to reload your own otherwise you will be paying 5 to 6 dollars a round. The trips to the range could easily cost 100 or 200 dollars just to have a little fun. Good luck.

Has anyone seen the 700 XCR in 338 lapua ? Im very interested in that particular model.

I don't think the XCR is available in 338 Lapua. It's available in 338 Win. Mag and 338 RUM. If someone has a link to a Lapua version of the XCR on Remingtons website, please post it.

Interesting. Wonder when it will actually hit the market. The MLR was on Remingtons site for two years before they were released.

I would like to get the 338 then I would have all of them...

DSCN3398.jpg

If you go factory I would choose Sako TRG-42.
Have you looked at UGSW? Mike is a great guy to deal with. I have one coming from him in the new AI AX chasis.