• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Lapua or stick with my .300 win mag? Long range shooting.

SRSpurgeon

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2022
Wilmington, Delaware
Hello…to anyone reading this post!

(And thank you)

I’m in need of some advice from actual people that are long range shooters instead of just YouTube and my husband. Basically, I need some answers without bias.

Onward…

I come from a lineage of Marines, specifically snipers (both Uncles were Snipers in Vietnam) and although we never talked about Vietnam, there was enough said, if you get my drift. I take shooting very seriously (mostly because I respect the uniform, therefore, I respect a firearm also) and I believe that i have developed a talent for long range shooting, to which my husband and other range members agree with.

I can shoot both left and right, but prefer left. I currently own numerous long guns, all of which I rotate and shoot with whenever I can. I’m a nurse and with the pandemic, I haven’t been able to get out to the range as much as I’d like or to read as many threads as I want. Instead of diving into the forum filing cabinet, in order to save time, I’m posting this post.

Basically, guys, girls, whoever you are—I’m sure can sympathetize…I lost my Mom 2.5 years ago in March and since then, my family has turned their back on me. Didn’t bother me much because I was at work watching people die and holding their hand as they passed…I didn’t need anything…else…really for over 2 years. Now, I feel something missing. Something I’m good at but not actively doing. And that…is shooting. It’s in my blood. No denying that. Even though COVID is not over, I need to feel good at something again.

I have a .223 (Remington), (2) .308 AR-10’s (Armalite & Sig), a Tikka T3x Compact Tactical and a Tikka .300 win mag, along with numerous pistols. With long range shooting, I want to use “Casper”, who is my .300 win mag, but my husband is trying to convince me to go for a .338 lapua. He says it’s bigger gun, bigger round, it’ll get further down the range than my Tikka .300 win mag.

…I hear the logic, but…really?

I use my .308 for 400ish yards, beyond that…my .300 win. (“Casper”)

I’m really comfortable with Casper, but if it’s going to have a major difference and I’m going to end up converting to a 338 later, should I just bite the bullet and replace Casper?

And I’ve only seen Savage that manufactures a .338 Lapua as a leftie shooter. Not a huge deal but I don’t like to take more than 2-3 breaths between shots. Throws me off. And shooting right bolt action using my left eye—throws me off. I usually only shoot right with a .308 or lower caliber.

All in all, should I get the 338? What do you recommend? I do plan to use the gun for about 1,000 yards. And yes, I know how much that would cost, how much time/energy getting to 1,000 yds would take, the cost per round, all that…I’m not having any more kids. and the one I have now can shoot. She’s usually next door with the shotgun with her father while I’m at the long range. Leaves me more time to practice.

Including a picture of my long guns…

Thank You.

Attachments

• 24A9366F-8F30-45B1-A536-755E80D55061.jpeg
    24A9366F-8F30-45B1-A536-755E80D55061.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 265
  • 4A7AB8D2-EE9B-4502-9A5C-8F196BEFC2BC.jpeg
    4A7AB8D2-EE9B-4502-9A5C-8F196BEFC2BC.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 272
The 300 Win Mag is great for 1,000 yard shooting. If you hand load, you can extend that range to 1500 yards, comfortably, given readily available bullets. If 1,000 yards is your maximum there are a number of 6.5mm and 7mm cartridges that do even better in the wind with less recoil.

If you don't have access to a range or public land beyond 1,000 yards you don't really need a 338 Lapua.

.300WM is perfectly fine for 1200 and in. Handloading is of course preferred, but not required. .338 will range longer, but is an order of magnitude more expense and work. Unless you will shoot past 1200 often, the .300 will be the better choice for most people.

if you are going to do any sort of prs or related matches, most allow .30 caliber max.

Reactions: sinister
Not a good place to ask if you need another gun. Just sayin...

The rifle pictured looks 10 poundish, to take on a hunt thats probably a good weight, but if your use does not involve hours of carry for each shot then some more weight can help tame the mag recoil. Here when the question is this or that the answer is both.

Consider an MRAD or a AI AXMC. you can switch calibers in a few minutes. And you are not limited to .300W or .338 you can add a 6.5CM into the mix, that will get you hits at a mile (with any of the three calibers). You will only need one scope to shoot three calibers.

The .338 Lapua: it's a good cartridge. Just be aware that those who feel the for need bleeding edge ballistics have moved on to .338 Norma. .300W still gets a lot of love because of availability of commercial ammo.

Just a few points to ponder.

338 Lapua not needed. If you snoop around You'll see that 6, 6.5 easily do 1000 yards, will the 300 WM will take you much farther.

Competition with targets 700-2100 yards. While the 300 WM isn't the most popular--you'll see the 300 PRC and 300 Norma Mag which are comprable (although improved) cartridges.

If you really want one (and we all do), I'd skip the savage and save for a semi custom on a custom long action in Lefty

(after my mom passed away, I bought myself a souped up firearm because reasons)

If your question is if you need a bigger magnum to shoot beyond 400 yards, absolutely not. A 16" AR will shoot 400 yards all day long. A .308 will shoot 800 with mediocre ammo and 1200 with good ammo. Your 300 win mag, if it's a 10 twist, will get you to a mile and then some. If you think 400 yards is far, you're just beating yourself up with recoil to shoot a magnum--you should be shooting your 223 at that distance.

A switch barrel system would be a nice upgrade. AI makes lefty rifles. If you could spring it would be a nice way to go from 6.5cm thru 338LM with just changing the barrel, bolt and mag.

You Definitely don't need a AI, but this is the hide so we have to go there.

However a heavy barrel rifle will make shooting easier, and I will usually shoot my 6.5cm to 1150yds. I don't usually push it past there.

U can stick with the magnum 30 cal. 300prc or 300norma can get 225gr bullet travel 3k fps.

Reactions: 338dude
As everyone else has said, 338 lm is uber expensive to shoot and load for. Your 300 WM has a whole lot of potential with the right loads. If you wanted to extend your range 300 Norma may be a better choice than 338 lm. It may not quite have the energy but the ballistics are definitely there(the projectiles are also cheaper). This is coming from someone who regularly loads and shoots a trg42 in 338lm.

Reactions: 338dude
I also would stick with the WM, another option would to be to drop the tikka into a chassis and get the barrel threaded for a brake. The new spuhr chassis is inlet for tikkas and pretty sweet looking. If you don’t reload I would invest money into that venture first as the 300WM can pretty much run with the 300PRC if hand loaded for. 225ELDs at 2950 in mine will get you a long way. But just to a 1000, the WM will have absolutely no issues and is honestly quite easy. If I’m 1000 or closer I prefer the standard short actions, CM/308 or even the 223 is fun at that range. My WM if pretty much used only past 1k, and my NM only comes out at a mile or farther.

If you are looking at moving up to a lapua sized case just because you want something to work on outside of work, I personally would do a custom action. In particular a defiance ruckus in lefty with the LM bolt face. Benefit here is you can buy prefit barrels and swap at home. I would undoubtedly buy two barrels, one in 300NM and one in 338LM and you should be set for pretty much anything out to 2500. The 300NM is hands down my favorite cartridge I run.

If you are wanting to stay with your Tikka and only looking at shooting @1k I’d consider rebarreling into a .300wsm or maybe 6.5prc.
The Tikka is not the ideal platform for a full length magnum with high BC bullets. With some of the great medium length magnum cartridges out there, and a number of great stocks and chassis you could turn that Tikka into something that fits exactly what you want to do. Not to mention with the prefit barrels available for the Tikka’s you can dyi it and have to gratification of shooting something that you put together yourself.
One more plus is you won’t have to suffer through a Savage 😂

agree with all the above

if you dont hate the 300WM stick with it forever, only reason youll need more "gun" is because you want "more"

it held the records at camp perry 1000 yard competition for a over a decade

if you want a change (which we all do over time) dont get a 338LM get a 300PRC...more than enough energy to hunt with and extremely accurate inside 1500.

if you want to stretch it out even farther and you want a LM sized cartridge get a 300 Norma Mag with 230gr A-tips or Bergers...makes a mile seem routine. 300NM factory berger ammo while expensive is as good if not better than most peoples hand loads

ive had 3, 338LMs over the years in different configurations...not going down that road again

or just buy it and have fun lol

Fella's the 300 PRC is the Caliber to have for long distance. Less expensive than the 338 and will out perform the 300WM, which I have 2.
Love this setup and performs excellent and its a thumper!

Reactions: Forrest
I sold my 338LM and kept the 300wm and 300 prc. The 338LM was no fun to shoot. It was like shooting an Artillery piece piece. The 300wm gives you a sharp jolt and the 300 prc gives you a big push on recoil. The 300 prc is a joy to shoot. The 300 prc has the edge over the 300wm when you shoot past 1k yds. It's very noticeable.

Do you handload?
If not, LM factory ammo will bury you unless cost isn't a factor at all.
I kinda feel like I'm cheating shooting the .338 LM at 1K yards, I generally use the .300 WSM at that range and the LM beyond 1200.
You certainly don't need it "over" your WM.

But, some of us love the bigger boomers...

Do you plan on shooting ~2k yards to ~2.4k yards? That regime, give or take, is where the 338 Lapua has a slight advantage over a big 300. Out to a mile, a 300 WM will equal or exceed the performance of a 338, especially when you take cost into consideration.

If you really want to get another rifle, and try something new in the process, get a custom rifle made in a more modern 30 cal magnum (or ultra magnum). For 1k yards, a 300 PRC would be more than enough - you'll have a rifle where if you miss a 1 moa target (in low wind) at 1k it will be a bad day. You could go bigger and go 300 Norma, but honestly, unless you're going to shoot > 2k yards with any regularity, you don't need to go bigger than a 300 PRC/300 WM class case.

The 300WM has mutiple advantages. Cost being one of them. Cost of the ammunition being another. Availability is another. Will it perform to target? Hands down, yes. As previously stated, depending on your skill level, you're gold out to 1500 meters. Do you shoot anywhere near that distance? As is, Casper will achieve your goals and more. You say you're comfortable with Casper. That counts for a lot! Your familiarity and comfortability with the platform you're using is half the battle already won. You have self confidence in it. So, why look for a new platform you're going to have to send 1000 plus rounds down range to pair yourself up with it? On a personal level, I would never give up my 300WM, regardless of what the Newbies say. Many say it's obsolete. Uh huh. Would they say that if they're on the recieving end? Thats the reality of "obsolete".

Dudes did we just get trolled??
He or she said hubby wants him or her to get a 338 then ghosted this bitch.
Yeah we're all wondering now cuz you did not specify..
anticipation-gif-6.gif

Hello…to anyone reading this post!

(And thank you)

I’m in need of some advice from actual people that are long range shooters instead of just YouTube and my husband. Basically, I need some answers without bias.

Onward…

I come from a lineage of Marines, specifically snipers (both Uncles were Snipers in Vietnam) and although we never talked about Vietnam, there was enough said, if you get my drift. I take shooting very seriously (mostly because I respect the uniform, therefore, I respect a firearm also) and I believe that i have developed a talent for long range shooting, to which my husband and other range members agree with.

I can shoot both left and right, but prefer left. I currently own numerous long guns, all of which I rotate and shoot with whenever I can. I’m a nurse and with the pandemic, I haven’t been able to get out to the range as much as I’d like or to read as many threads as I want. Instead of diving into the forum filing cabinet, in order to save time, I’m posting this post.

Basically, guys, girls, whoever you are—I’m sure can sympathetize…I lost my Mom 2.5 years ago in March and since then, my family has turned their back on me. Didn’t bother me much because I was at work watching people die and holding their hand as they passed…I didn’t need anything…else…really for over 2 years. Now, I feel something missing. Something I’m good at but not actively doing. And that…is shooting. It’s in my blood. No denying that. Even though COVID is not over, I need to feel good at something again.

I have a .223 (Remington), (2) .308 AR-10’s (Armalite & Sig), a Tikka T3x Compact Tactical and a Tikka .300 win mag, along with numerous pistols. With long range shooting, I want to use “Casper”, who is my .300 win mag, but my husband is trying to convince me to go for a .338 lapua. He says it’s bigger gun, bigger round, it’ll get further down the range than my Tikka .300 win mag.

…I hear the logic, but…really?

I use my .308 for 400ish yards, beyond that…my .300 win. (“Casper”)

I’m really comfortable with Casper, but if it’s going to have a major difference and I’m going to end up converting to a 338 later, should I just bite the bullet and replace Casper?

And I’ve only seen Savage that manufactures a .338 Lapua as a leftie shooter. Not a huge deal but I don’t like to take more than 2-3 breaths between shots. Throws me off. And shooting right bolt action using my left eye—throws me off. I usually only shoot right with a .308 or lower caliber.

All in all, should I get the 338? What do you recommend? I do plan to use the gun for about 1,000 yards. And yes, I know how much that would cost, how much time/energy getting to 1,000 yds would take, the cost per round, all that…I’m not having any more kids. and the one I have now can shoot. She’s usually next door with the shotgun with her father while I’m at the long range. Leaves me more time to practice.

Including a picture of my long guns…

Thank You.
When shooting 300 win mag or similar calipers stepping up to 338 is more expensive but not that much compared to everything else. I wouldn’t get rid of a gun to get a new 338 but I sure would like to have another gun in the form of a 338 I’m sure you’ll enjoy it too. Much to be said for the big boomers!
C590B116-F898-4A19-A061-756158F28B44.jpeg