• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 LM vs. 408 Chey Tac

Re: 338 LM vs. 408 Chey Tac

I agree with NOTAGURU....i sat down and went through all of this about a year ago..Having nothing at all to start with the 375 cost me $100.00 more than the same gun in a 338Lapua...and actually it was the die cost that was a little more...and some of the bullet choice...But i am glad i did it..but on bullet cost you can spend the same on a 338 bullet from the same guys if you want the good stuff...the 375 CHEYTAC is KINg of the hill...

if you are seriously thinking of having only one rifle the answer is 338lm.

Resons

-Portable and lightweight when compared to chey tacs.
-Can be shot from kneeling, standing, sitting as well as prone. 375/408 tend to weight too much for nothing else than prone and supported sitting positions etc.
-can be loaded down for close range deer hunting etc.
-can be accurately shot up to 1500m and stretched out to 2000m
-availability and cost of ammo and components. edit:this absolutely true only in europe.

Still if you plan seriously shoot mostly between 1200-3000m i would definately go for 375 or 408 chey tac and leave 50bmg out of concideration. nobady in finland sels or makes 375/408 chey tac, but i am tempted to import one or to build one on a custom action. witch action do you recomend?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stenger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am building a 416 barrett on all match grade componets. i even had a reamer made for a tight neck chamber. i will give you all an update with my findings. it should be here any day! I talked with Dave from lehigh bullets and he said that a customer reported 3400FPS with a 416 grain bullet which produced a 23 inch group at 3000 yards. i need to see that to believe it but the velocity seems good and the case is awesome it should be fun.</div></div>
Stenger,
i'm building a similar setup on a BAT 50bmg action.
should be fun.

Bobby,

I was just reading your response to my post and I was like WTF!?!? - Then i re-read my post and I realized that I made it sound like I was advocating the 338 over the 408. This was, needless to say, not my intention.

What I was trying to say is that I reccomend the 338 for the projectile and the 408 for the cartridge. I just purchased a rifle that is 408/338 - and I made the decision after talking with one of your cohorts =). He talked me out of going straight up 408 for a number of reasons, mainly the ones I listed. The 338 varients like the 408/338 he said are the best of both worlds.

Sorry for the confusion!

J.

I wasnt trying to say anything bad just putting my opinion out their (for what its worth). But when it comes down to a deciding factor for me is the fact that the 375 when shooting solids is gonna cost you a boat load more over shooting the 338/408 snipetac (improved) which are about 1/3 the cost or less. If you need the 2200+ range then the 375 is the best choice by far. If not then the 338 ST will get it done in a hurry. BTW It still takes awhile to run 700+ rounds out of them and burn the barrel up. I try not to use my cheytac unless im shooting 1500+. I have a 30/338 LM Improved for under that. It makes a bad enough mess out of most critters....

oh I know you werent man I was just laughing that I honestly explained my opinion so horribly.

What type of burnout do you see on the snipetac sticks you work on? I heard with a chromoly lined barrel you would be looking at about 1500 rounds before it becomes bad? shooting 300 grain projectiles that is.

J.

if i had to chose and money was not a choice the 375 Snipr tac
but as i have just build a 338 Edge Improved i gues that shows that a 338 Lapua sized cartrige will get more use.

If you have the 338 LApua and a 50 dont bother with the 408 get a 375 Snipe Tac or a 338 Snipe tac and be done with it the only advantage with the 408 is bullet energy but you have the 50 that covers that so just build a 375 Snipe Tac and have the middle ground covered it will cream the 50 with everything except retained energy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: burnzone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh I know you werent man I was just laughing that I honestly explained my opinion so horribly.

What type of burnout do you see on the snipetac sticks you work on? I heard with a chromoly lined barrel you would be looking at about 1500 rounds before it becomes bad? shooting 300 grain projectiles that is.

J. </div></div>

700 rounds for the 338 is prob a low average. Yes if you loaded them down to the second or third node you might be able to break 1k and maybe even sneak up to 1500. But that i would say is the max you could squeeze out of it and every barrel may not get that much. I am working on a nitrided barrel that i hope to see get over 2k out of but that will take me some time to get done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can use a 408 in Idaho as long as its under 16 lbs. but Im not shooting it if its under 16 lbs </div></div>

A 375 in 16lbs is not that bad at all. The 408 does kick a bit more and the 338 ST is just a little kitten.... I have build several of them for shooters in idaho and they have worked great and were fine to shoot. Sure the 20+ rifles dont move near as much but the only cheytacs i have shoot that wernt fun were closer to 11 pounds....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if i had to chose and money was not a choice the 375 Snipr tac
but as i have just build a 338 Edge Improved i gues that shows that a 338 Lapua sized cartrige will get more use.

</div></div>
Wild_Bill,
How is your 338 Edge "Improved"?
What sort of velocity you getting compared to a .408 Chey Tac?