• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report 338 Norma Mag - range report: H1000 and Retumbo, .338 OTM's

garandman

Bad Advice for Free
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2009
Huntington WV
Did a little 200 yards work, to get velocities and groups for my 338 Norma Mag. 27" barrel.

i4ejbp.jpg

oi576h.jpg

Observations:

1. Note where I "dialed in" W/E adjustments.
2. Squares are about 1"
3. H1000 ran about 70 FPS faster than Retumbo
4. Both grouped about half MOA

I'm interested in anyone elses experience with Retumbo and H1000. I heard Retumbo usually runs faster than H1000.

Your observations / comments welcome.

You can up the Retumbo without signs of pressure more so than H1000 They are very close on the burn rate chart with H1000 being slightly faster.

Good results with retumbo for me. I'm loading right at what i would consider max in my rifle at 92gr retumbo pushing a 300 berger otm to 2846. 29" tube.

Good results with retumbo for me. I'm loading right at what i would consider max in my rifle at 92gr retumbo pushing a 300 berger otm to 2846. 29" tube.

Running a 27" barrel, would a faster burn rate be a good idea for me?

Running a 27" barrel, would a faster burn rate be a good idea for me?

I can't answer your question with actual experience, but i would guess that at 27" you'd be best served with retumbo as opposed to h1000. Since you have both powders i would recommend doing a bit of testing yourself to determine the right answer though. I think H1000 might be a hair quick for the 300 otm, but what the hell do I know, as you're clearly showing excellent velocity average of 2785 with just a test load. I'd be curious to know where you wind up when you push that one a bit harder.