• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Norma Magnum Build

grifter95

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2009
Statesboro Georgia, USA
I am getting the required components together for a 338 Norma Magnum build. Have a Surgeon receiver on the way, a McMillan A5 stock here, Surgeon Floor Metal on the way, and YHM Muzzle break & silencer on the way. The barrel is what is giving me problems. I wanted a Krieger 32" (full velocity and quieter w/ silencer) fluted MTU barrel. But they are many months out, and I do not want to wait. So what should I go with? Brunx, PacNor, Rock Creek, or Shilen (which I would have to send elsewhere for fluting)? I really want a 1 in 9.3-9.5, but would settle for a 1 in 9. Going to be shooting 300gr bullets.
Thanks!

Re: 338 Norma Magnum Build

your first option, Brunx? Never heard of them..... do you mean BRUX ?

On that norma round its all over in 26" no reason to go longer. My 26" Krieger is getting over 2900fps with n570 and 300gn lapuas.

Just an update. Called all the barrel makers today inquiring price and timeframe. Lucked out with Krieger. Had a #10 with 1 in 9.4 sitting around. Needless to say I bought it. It is now headed to the shop to be fluted then on to me. Helps to be lucky sometimes!

Now can someone point me to some reloading data for the 338 Norma Magnum. Specifically for the 300gr bullets. Hopefully the new Bergers will shoot well. The 0.914 BC would be awesome! Supersonic past 2300 yards..... WOW!

By any chance, did you do your homework on this caliber before picking it?

Griffter,
PM sent on a Todd Bettin carbon barrel 9.3twist 27" finish length, if you are interested.

Really? There is a search button on the top of the page and google will direct you to a 10+ page thread on the Hide about this very caliber. Stop being lazy.

Why would you start off with a 338LM load when the 338LM has more case capacity then that of the Norma Magnum.

Bacarrat still trying to find the helpful information in your post. Sorry if you are pissed off by my lack of searching ability. However, if it bothers you, then just go about your business and quite wasting both of our time with whinning and let someone who wishes to share their information write back.