• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Norma Magnum

Re: 338 Norma Magnum

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FinnCollector</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone seen the .375 version yet?</div></div>

yup

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnhntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can this cartridge be run in a standard Savage 110 action? </div></div>

A guy that goes by the name of Geargrinder did it and posted about it here.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/savage-bolt-head-question-58404/

The Savage 110FCP-HS .338LM uses the same action as the 338 110BA, it is basically a giant LRP action (solid top) and it will easily make a 338NM repeater.

I wish Savage would sell the .338 actions so people can use them for builds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnhntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish Savage would sell the .338 actions so people can use them for builds. </div></div>

I thought that too until I took a look at what I could realistically expect to sell the stock off of a 110FCP-HS and I can't buy a target action for that much less what they would charge for a 110BA/FCP action.
Savage 110FCP-HS $1300 at Bud's Gun Shop
Sell HS Prec LA stock already inletted for DBM $450
Sell Accurate Mag bottom metal and magazine $250
Sell factory 338LM barrel, .585 bolt face and muzzle brake $300
Sell Accutrigger $40
Suddenly you have a $260 stripped action that you can build any way that you want.

eta: Keep the .585 boltface and rebarrel to .338 Norma.

Been just finished reading this whole thread and didn't see anyone using rl-25. Right in between retumbo and ramshot on the burn chart. Anyone have any load data with rl-25? My edge barrel is about to kick the bucket and have talked myself into a 338 NM.

Bringing this one back up... Waiting on barrels right now but our 338 Norma mag reamer showed up this week. Also have nearly everything to put together the 300 version. Pretty excited!

Mike

Why do we see so few posts /threads on the 338 NM?

Would appreciate some updates on performance and if it is still making its way into the market?+

+1 gyr2,Would like to see more on the 338 Norma.I am gathering parts for one have a Bruxs barrel and Stiller Tac 338 action.Getting there.

Just got my KMW Longsword, waiting for rings, got the scope already. N570 on order and got some RS Magnum with 300 SMK's. Hope to get you guys some input soon enough.

Just got my KMW Longsword, waiting for rings, got the scope already. N570 on order and got some RS Magnum with 300 SMK's. Hope to get you guys some input soon enough.

With N570 89gn will be a good starting point to work up from.

Will do and thanks for the input. Waiting for my Third Eye Tactical unimount. Hope I get some good news soon.

Bumping this one back up. We need more updated discussion on the 338 NM, seems like less favored step child of the 338 family, but am excited to start working with the cartridge.

We have two customer builds chambering today. True'd 700 actions, benchmark barrels with a new hybrid composite wrap bedded into the new Manners EH1 stocks. Should be under 7.5 lbs before optics. Will update when they're finished. These are geared more towards lightweight longrange backpacking guns but we have high hopes for them.

Mike

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Bumping this one back up. We need more updated discussion on the 338 NM, seems like less favored step child of the 338 family, but am excited to start working with the cartridge.

After a fair amount of research / discussion / sleepless nights, I'm going with the 338 NM. Cheaper brass, bigger bullets, excellent ballistics, flatter shooting than 338LM. So several sources have told me, anyway.

Let's revamp this bad bitch shall we... As a matter of fact I'm takin my girl out this week to damage some steel...

skinney -

What press you using that fits 338NM?

I got a Lee that I can sneak the bullet into, but I'd like a longer press chassis.

skinney -

What press you using that fits 338NM?

I got a Lee that I can sneak the bullet into, but I'd like a longer press chassis.
I use my Rock chucker supreme, you've got to bring the 300 OTM in from an angle to get it up into the Forester die I use.

Forster press for me, love it. Skinney, what recipe you shooting?
89 of VV N570 pushing the 300 OTM's about 2797 via FFS Delta V.

The U.S. military is testing the .338 Norma magnum in General Dynamics new medium machine gun, wich weighs only 2 lbs. more than the current 7.62 NATO M240medium machine gun.

BUT... the .338 Norma nas MUCH more range than the 7.62 NATO round, natch. And that's what all the interest in this new MG is all about.

Sounds like a match made in Taliban hell.

BTW, the .338 NM was developed by an American wildcatter and standardized by Norma.

Been doing some load development this week on a benchmark 5groove 27" barrel. 89 grains of H1000 is averaging 2830 fps with a 300 grain SMK! 90 grains is way to hot, 89.5 wasn't horrible but 89 is really stable with only slight primer cratering but primers weren't very flat and no ejector mark.

Mike

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

This is my 2nd the first was a 700 with PTG bolt 26" Broughton. This one is a Pierce XL with a Broughton 26". It shoots H-1000, RSM or R-22 with a 300 SMK 10-15 off not picky. Been shooting H-1000 mostly and it holds 1/2 MOA at 600 pretty easy, either 215M or CCI 250's.

This is my second one and it tends to shoot well with about any load I put through it 1-2 grain sweet spot. The deer absolutely hate it.

Fellas, anyone tried RL33 on the Norma? Fill me in on what your results are if you will... I'm tired of waiting for the N570 BS.

I have my .338 Norma being built right now. I have not loaded for it yet (obviously), but plan on using Retumbo because I have so much of it on hand from my Lapua. The gentleman who developed this cartridge told me that Retumbo seems to be a good choice. He personally shoots mostly Ramshot Magnum.

I have my .338 Norma being built right now. I have not loaded for it yet (obviously), but plan on using Retumbo because I have so much of it on hand from my Lapua. The gentleman who developed this cartridge told me that Retumbo seems to be a good choice. He personally shoots mostly Ramshot Magnum.
Mine is an Ackley Improved version. I have a bunch of .338 Norma Magnum rounds on hand that I'm shooting/fire forming. Once i'm through all those I will load some up.