• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

338 Norma Magnum

Re: 338 Norma Magnum

I recall a quote, something to the effect of "Only Accurate rifles are interesting". With the 1500 meter specs on the PSR program, along with the above paraphrase, the shooting world is interested! Nothing wrong with that. Let the best rifle win, plain and simple. Regarding the statement on Tactical rifles, I disagree with the statement. Thru history, those rifles qualified as "tactical" have always held the spotlight. Why? Well, let's define "tactical" and let's define "battle", and let's define "conscript".

Tactical rifle: Must be a tough rifle, able to withstand really bad conditions. Must be a rifle that the owner can stake his life on it's ability. The cartridge must provide sufficient energy to kill those who are wanting to kill him. The rifle must be capable of allowing the shooter to engauge in any form of "touching"(tactic) the enemy. The better it assists the shooter in touching the enemy, the higher it's score in the "tactical" department.

Battle rifle: Must be a tough rifle, able to withstand really bad conditions. A battle rifle however, I think we'd all classify as "issued" to the masses of soldiers. Cookie cutter, everybody gets one, it shoots a projectile. Noone would expect a "battle" rifle to have all the same qualities as a "tactical" rifle. A battle rifle would be best suited as a weapon capable of high volumes of fire, and accurate enough for "minute of enemy" at common/maximum engagement distances of ~ 300 yards.

Conscript: A civilian drafted into immediate military service. Little training, and must therefore have equipment in accords with his skills. Rifle must be simple, must be "conscript" proof. A conscript would neither have need nor skill to employ a tactical long range sniper rifle. The conscript would be issued a battle rifle, and just enought skill to maybe use it. Much of the commonly issued material to soldiers around the world complies with the "conscript" method. After all, for a country to purchase millions of the "same" small caliber carbine, pistol, gas mask, tent, canteen, compass, they must assume that "conscripts" might be needed to fill the ranks. Those same conscripts must quickly become an effective fighting force. How? By issuing simple equipment with little need for training.

Sooooo, why are these long range tactical rifles interesting? Well, they'll take training to employ, they're super accurate, and they'll be able to do things at 1 mile that both Hatcher and McBride had only envisioned.

Todays US soldiers are better trained than any other fighting force in the world. They are not conscripts, they deserve excellent equipment and the training to employ it. (sidenote) That's why it pisses me off so much that we're again talking about gays in the military, instead of spending time/money on equipment and training. Thank you big O! Here's an idea. Get all the gays in, train them to a conscript level, then put them up against the French army. Let's see who wins.

I should not have said that....

The idea of longer magazines is valid. Now people are designing shorter cartridges to fit AI, AWM or AICS magazines. Hello, anybody out there ?

Build teh cartridge first then the rifle and all will be well:)

What barrel length are those that are shooting the 338 Norma Mag using, and what velocities are you getting ?

And i thought the longer magazine desinging going on was to accomadate a problem that was for cartridges that were way to long that dont fit in any of he standard length actions.

I have a 29 inch barrel Mike Rock...I used 92 grains of Ramshot magnum.. I think I could have used 90...It was 2815 average

That was with a 12 inch suppressor attached. The barrel should be 27 inches in my opinion

The new 338 cans are 10.25 inches!!!

Anyone using a 26" barrel ? Just curious what velocities you are getting. I have a 338 Norma with a 26" Brux barrel on it, but have not been able to do load developement on it yet due to a shoulder injury from work. Also, is anyone using Fed215GM primers in their load, as I can't find any WLRM primers.

26 krieger 9.3T tube with 300gn scenars 93gn RSM and 215FGM will get me to 2800.

737shark I have shot 94gn RSM in my gun, be careful. Watch your lots of R22 if your using it. My own dumb a$$ mistake but I've had to tap a round out with the cleaning rod when I went to a new 1 pounder from my old 5 pound jug with the same charge weight.

Guys,
Don't be velocity whores unless you know, really know what the pressure is doing. The better part of 100 grains of powder blowing up in your face does not make for a pleasant day! If you're getting sticky bolts and banging out brass with a cleaning rod, you're likely approaching 80,000 psi or so. That's really, really, really not a good idea...

I'd have to look but I think it was 84gn??? load and there were no presure sings until the different lot. No velocity whore here, with the 300grainers anything over 2700 is good for me.

I just received a detailed invoice of a purchase request from Kreiger for another barrel in a 9.3 twist configuration (Second 338NM build). The invoice had the barrel as a 9.35. I called and asked about a possible typo or error and the person I spoke with indicated that the 9.35 configuration was optimum from a bunch of test done by their military clients in bullet weights in excess of 250 gr bullets. I know it's splitting hairs (9.3 or 9.35), but has anyone heard of this? I'm just curious as to what is the optimum twist for the 300 gr SMK in 338NM.

That's just how their gearing for the rifler comes out to be with the leader bar they are using, ours is 9.394. You are just splitting hairs it doesn't matter.

Paul

We have used several brands of Barrels in developing the round. Used twists of 1: 8.5-11. Got our best results with a Border 1:9,5 twist barrel and the 300grn SMK. We don't regularly get USA barrels so haven't tried 1:9.3

I think you will find that fine tuning the powder, crimp etc is more important than the decimal point on the twist rate.

Also, all developmental work has been done with 26" barrels as specified in the original contract. It is interesting to see what real world shooters are achieving with American premium barrels, longer barrels and different powders.

Yeah, we worked everything up with 24" barrels from Paul and the guys. So I've heard, 1/9.3 ish is most common, and I assume the optimized twist. I've only got the Greenhill formula and don't put full faith in it. ARL probably ran some advanced calculations, but I have no idea of their recommendation.

The lap when loaded long velocity wise will shit all over the norma and with powders that are available to the general public. I'm not knocking the norma, but once AI comes out with the new longer magazines and chassis (as well as other manufacturers) what will the 338 norma have over the lapua besides fitting in an older mag system?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pongnukl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The lap when loaded long velocity wise will shit all over the norma and with powders that are available to the general public. I'm not knocking the norma, but once AI comes out with the new longer magazines and chassis (as well as other manufacturers) what will the 338 norma have over the lapua besides fitting in an older mag system?</div></div>

I think if you are stuck with the old ai mag system already its the way to go as far as feeding through the shorter mags with pills in the right spot. Also when I was deciding there was no eta on the longer mag set up, and I already had all components for the existing system. So for some its a better choice. It might also be a better choice for Australians for other reasons as well......

Agreed it wont match the .338 lapua velocity wise but I am happy I am doing .338 Norma Mag over the Lapua for my circumstances, and I think it will have a small but dedicated following.

Have you put the jamison brass on a neco guage and checked it for quality??

That cannot be AR 550. I shoot 300gr MK at 3000fps out of my 338LAI at 1" mild steel at 600 and it does not crater like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheese</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do enjoy watching all of this.
Jimmie should be and is very proud of the cartridge.
Just for the heck of it.
This was a plate of steel I shot with the Mr. Sloans first .338 cartridge. It surprised the living crap out of me.
P4230001.jpg

It wasn't a ring when the rounds came in. It was more like a deep "thump" sound.
</div></div>

it probably really scared the hell out of the dozer operator
grin.gif
</div></div>

Well, I don't have a NECO gauge, but do have something almost exactly like it. I'll check runout of the virgin cases for us all, along with head runout and sidewall runout...

Straight Shot Gunsmithing of North Dakota has reamers for a 30 and a 7 -338 Norma. He will also build dies for them.

If you are going to get a .30 cal version of the .338 Norma order your reamer from Pacific....They have the drawings for the round as submitted to CIP and for which factory brass will be available next year. Also at least one major rifle maker will be offering the .30 Norma mag (as it is officially labled) as a QC barrel for their .338 Norma/.338 Lapua.

I was wondering, as a general rule of thumb could you take standard low presure lapua load data and reduce by 5% as a starting point for load development in the nm? It is hard finding data for projectiles other than the 300smk/scenar.

I have a PTG .338 Norma Mag reamer F/S in the Optics and Accessories section.
Never used, $130.00 shipped CONUS.

Thanks

Robert at RWS has my barrel and action. Can't wait to get my pistol back and try it out. I went with a 23 inch barrel and am hoping to get near to 2700 fps with 300 grain smk's. I'll probably shoot mostly 250's though.
The pistol will be on a xp 100 action, McRee aluminum rear grip xp 100 pistol stock. It will be lighter to tote for hunting than my 338 Lapua (16 pounds with 20 inch barrel and stiller oversized action). I'm hoping the Norma comes in between 10-12 pounds with scope.
The Lapua has a rifle scope on it, but due to the lighter weight of the Norma I'm starting off with a 3-12 Burris pistol scope. If the recoil is managable I might go to a rifle scope later. Gonna see if Burris will put tactical turrets on the pistol scope. I know I can get target turrets put on. Reticle is B plex and with the adjustable turrets and a 20 moa base I should be able to reach pretty far. Maybe not to 1K but out to 800 at least. I have to run the numbers to be sure.

What actions are most of you guys running with this round?

Thought about a Stiller Predator but he does not recommend it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What actions are most of you guys running with this round?

Thought about a Stiller Predator but he does not recommend it. </div></div>

I know Jasonk use to run a M2008 but he gave it up!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What actions are most of you guys running with this round?

Thought about a Stiller Predator but he does not recommend it. </div></div>

Just curious why he wouldn't recommend a Stiller?

Just curious why a Lawton over a Stiller? Stiller makes a Predator Extreme / TAC338...essentially identical.

Where is the Lawton superior to the Stiller? Not arguing just wanting to learn from the pros...

TAC 338 - 1.000 barrel tenion, 1.125-16tpi, 1.40 outside diameter, .050 + bolt body over remington, M16 style extractor, lugs lapped to receiver.

Lawton 7000 - .700 barrel tenion, 1.0625-16tpi, 1.36 outside diameter, bolt diameter same as remington, sako style extractor.

If they are both cut with high precision CNC's or EDM's how is one better than the other? Is it because the receiver is slightly longer that you might get a little more harmonics?

I'm not trying to get into pissing match, just curious as to why one action over the other?

The Tac 338 is longer and bigger in circumference, but the Norma does not really need any more length than the long 700 which will take a 3.6 COAL as is. The bolt thrust of the larger diameter case must be the only reason Jerry will not recommend it. I went back and looked at this thread and most are building off the 700 receiver.

May do it anyway if this is the way I decide to go.

I use the lawton 700 because of the price and it will fit nearly any rem 700 stock out there. You could also use lawtons 8500 action it is similar to stiller in that it is bigger, now your going to have to order a stock to fit it but a std rem 700 bottom metal will work with it as well

Point well taken. Using the same stock as a 700LA makes sense. Correct me if i'm wrong the standard Predator doesn't offer a .590 boltface whereas the Lawton 7000 does.

Thanks for the info!

Is it true that the 338 Norma will not feed correctly from a BDL system?
Do you have to use a DMB system for this cartridge ?

The main reason we only offer the Lapua size cases in a bigger bolt action is that after I analyzed the loads I determined that the .700 bolt size was not sufficient for catastrophic problems. We only offer it on the .750 bolt for that reason. I know remington and a few others do it on a .700 bolt, but I am not sure to what level of analysis they did on it. As a registered professional engineer, it is my duty to only build and sell items that I am completely confident are safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The main reason we only offer the Lapua size cases in a bigger bolt action is that after I analyzed the loads I determined that the .700 bolt size was not sufficient for catastrophic problems. We only offer it on the .750 bolt for that reason. I know remington and a few others do it on a .700 bolt, but I am not sure to what level of analysis they did on it. As a registered professional engineer, it is my duty to only build and sell items that I am completely confident are safe. </div></div>

Amen brother.
Early on I had an "experience" with a standard Long action that ended up with s broken nose. The Rem action took all that was thrown at it, however I thought of the words "we're gonna need a bigger boat".
I still use the MK13, however the next build will be stronger.

Any news on the St Mark's powder being released yet? I am near the end of my Ramshot Magnum and want to know if there are other options out there before I buy some more. I am getting good results with the 300 Lapuas and ramshot so I don't mind getting more. Just want to see if anything new has developed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Don Heath D.Sc.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have used several brands of Barrels in developing the round. Used twists of 1: 8.5-11. Got our best results with a Border 1:9,5 twist barrel and the 300grn SMK. We don't regularly get USA barrels so haven't tried 1:9.3

I think you will find that fine tuning the powder, crimp etc is more important than the decimal point on the twist rate.
</div></div>
How do you <span style="text-decoration: underline">CRIMP</span> a 300 grain SMK?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FK300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know where there might be a 338NM Hornady FL Sizing die in stock? </div></div>

I don't think you'll find them, they are currently making me a custom set and from what I gathered this may be the only way to get a Hornady dies for this caliber.

Good luck