• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Norma Magnum

Re: 338 Norma Magnum

Thanks for the heads up on the N570.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone seen or know if the new Norma 30-338 magnum brass is available?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Don Heath D.Sc.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shipment to BHSS and Huntington due to leave next week monday. </div></div>

Thanks for the update. Where to buy reamers and dies?

What shell Holder are you guys using for the 338 norma Brass?

I thought the rim was the same as the 416 rigby and 338 lapus?

RCBS Number 37?

David

I called RCBS and after 45 minutes on the phone...mostly on hold, they told me # is a 48. I ordered it and it works.

After some good advise I ended up using the Redding #35 shell holder. I couldn't find a Lee or RCBS that worked well.

REDDING 35 below
these quality steel shellholders firmly hold a case in place for all reloading operations. Redding shellholders fit most single stage and turret reloading presses.

Technical Information

Material:Steel
Fits:

•338 Lapua Mag

•330 Baer

•30-416 Rigby Improved

•30-338 Lapua Mag

•300 Pegasus

•300 Baer

•300 Lapua Mag

•416 Rigby

The same for RCBS is #37 I think I may have some bad brass out of spec. Its too thick above the rim?

David

Maybe not looks like I received some bad info possibly from Norma.

RCBS

.338 NORMA MAG
Part No. Description
13001 Full Length Die Set
13029 Full Length Sizer
13030 Neck Sizer
13038 Seater
*NOTE: use Shell Holder #48

Well the Norma reps tell me it's the same as 338 lapua and 416 rigby but they don't work makes me wonder if thier are too specs out there for the cases

I wish Jimmy would chime in

can one of u guys mic the area just above the rim?

I bought one of the first lots of brass

I don't have access to a NM case right now but I do remember comparing a .338 Lapua case to it, and there was enough difference that the same shell holder would not work.

There are not two specs of brass, but the only 2 shellholders that I have found that works for me since day-1 is as follows;

Redding #35
Lee Universal #8

The Redding by far the best !!!

My brass is about a year old and Norma brand.

I think that lapua brand and norma brand 338 lapua brass use different shell holders, I read the thickness of the brass is slightly different. My dad has a 45-70 rcbs shell holder, I am not sure of the number, but it should be the same as the 338 norma, I will see if it works next time I go over to his house.

Mil/CIP spec .338 Lapua and .338 Norma have identical head dimentions. However, most Lapua made .338 Brass uses SAAMI .416 rigby specs for the head size. The differences are small...but enough to be anoying. The only RCBS shell holder I could find that was a perfect fit was one for .375 FL magnum (but I don't have access to a whole range of RCBS holders and there may be others that fit.

Norma have a set of Redding dies and a No 35 Shell holder for use when doing handloads for test.

I just finished building a 7/338 Norma improved with .314 neck and took it to the range for fire forming the brass and barrel break in but didn't chronograph yet, this case is fantastic and I plan on building a 30 and 338 improved next. I will go back on Thursday and post velocity.It will end up in a A-3 stock and haven't decided on color scheme yet.
Blue printed 700 with PTG bolt, 28" Brux barrel 1/8.5 twist my brake.

Ken
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd181/krlemas/7mm338%20Norma%20Imp/DSC01308.jpg?t=1266271352

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd181/krlemas/7mm338%20Norma%20Imp/DSC01307.jpg?t=1266271761

Ken, that looks great so far. I have been thinking about that ever since I got the 338. Please post details as you develop the load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krlemas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just finished building a 7/338 Norma improved with .314 neck and took it to the range for fire forming the brass and barrel break in but didn't chronograph yet, this case is fantastic and I plan on building a 30 and 338 improved next. I will go back on Thursday and post velocity.It will end up in a A-3 stock and haven't decided on color scheme yet.

Ken
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd181/krlemas/7mm338%20Norma%20Imp/DSC01308.jpg?t=1266271352

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd181/krlemas/7mm338%20Norma%20Imp/DSC01307.jpg?t=1266271761
</div></div>

Please do post your load data / results as things progress. Did you encounter any problems necking down to 7mm?

After having a 338 Norma built, the idea of a 300 Norma was very appealing. I had my gunsmith order the reamers and thanks to Dr. Don I was able to get a Norma rep who said the brass for the 300 Norma Mag is in production right now so I have some on order with BHSS. Hopefully it will be available in 4 - 6 weeks.

FYI, I went to Jamison International to buy some more brass and looks like they are out! Wow, that was fast.

I found some Norma brass at Sinclair's web site. About the same price as Jamison. At least they are showing it as "in stock" so I ordered 100 more pcs.

Doug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Have None</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are not two specs of brass, but the only 2 shellholders that I have found that works for me since day-1 is as follows;

Redding #35
Lee Universal #8

The Redding by far the best !!!</div></div>

Same problem here I use a #8

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David777</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krlemas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just finished building a 7/338 Norma improved with .314 neck and took it to the range for fire forming the brass and barrel break in but didn't chronograph yet, this case is fantastic and I plan on building a 30 and 338 improved next. I will go back on Thursday and post velocity.It will end up in a A-3 stock and haven't decided on color scheme yet.

Ken

</div></div>

Please do post your load data / results as things progress. Did you encounter any problems necking down to 7mm?

After having a 338 Norma built, the idea of a 300 Norma was very appealing. I had my gunsmith order the reamers and thanks to Dr. Don I was able to get a Norma rep who said the brass for the 300 Norma Mag is in production right now so I have some on order with BHSS. Hopefully it will be available in 4 - 6 weeks.</div></div>
I build my own dies and I build them so they take Redding bushings so I can take the necks down about .o15 at a time, on the last step I create a false shoulder so that when I put it in the chamber the case closes tight against the bolt face)I then install a large primer, pistol because the rifle are hard to get, add 14 gr of pistol powder and fill the case the rest of the way to within 1/8" with cream of wheat and seal with crisco, wax or what ever you want and then touch it off.......out comes a perfectly formed improved case.Hope this makes sense.
Ken

quikload tells me approx. 94 gr n570,for 2790fps out of a 26"
but I do not have a rifle to try it in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluejazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">quikload tells me approx. 94 gr n570,for 2790fps out of a 26"
but I do not have a rifle to try it in. </div></div>

Is that with a 300gr pill??

yes, but work your way up to that load, as this is just info off of quikload.

FYI, Jamison International has 338 norma mag brass even though their website says its out of stock (just ordered 100 pieces over the phone). She did say that 50 were stamped jamison international and rest stamped cheytac, but that it was the same brass. Anybody know anything about jamison vs cheytac stamped brass?

Yeah I know the difference. CheyTac has made some 338 Norma Mag rifles. As the rifles got started, so did the U.S./JI made brass. All 338 NM brass was to have a CheyTac headstamp at that time. JI also put the JI-headstamp on some for direct customer sales. The brass is of the same lot, only 2 different headstamps.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess it pays to call. I looked the other week to buy some from Jamison (bought my first 100 pcs there) and when the site said they were out, I had to look elsewere. I found some Norma manufactured brass at Sinclair. It was the same price as the Jamison so I bought it. Would have liked to keep it all the same manufacturer though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tholbrook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody got any range time with N570 yet? </div></div>

To the best of my knowledge, there has not been any N570 imported to the U.S. yet. It has been available in Europe. I spoke with the rep at Kaltron-Pettibone (the importer), and they will not even know if there is any in the shipping container until it shows up, and they can check the inventory. Next shipment due in June/July time frame. I've been asking them for some for about a year...

Might want to ping JL here, I know he has used it in the Lapua Mag.

I was under the impression that Sinclair International has been selling it for the last few months.

Brian,
If you have a 338, maybe you could post your results with the N570

I do have a 338 NM. I'll post my results when I get em loaded up and tested. Might be awhile though, I am right in the middle of calving out 100 hd of Heifers, that the damn neighbors big assed bull got into the pasture they were in when they were breeding, so I'm having alot of trouble and have to watch em pretty close. So my shooting time is limited at the moment!

338normapistolsized.jpg

Photo of my .338 Norma Mag pistol built by Robert Snyder of RWS.

96 grains of N570 pushing 250 Sierra MK's yielded 2964 fps from my 23 inch Benchmark barrel. That's a max load. Flat primer but no trouble with bolt lift, no extractor marks, and no case head expansion noted. I plan to drop back to 95 and 95.5 grains and test again. I seated the bullet about .005 off lands. Keep in mind that is not an average velocity. I was just working up powder amounts to find the max and sent one round through the chrony. Still, it's a good sign. I should end up at 2900 fps or slightly higher. Not bad for a 23 inch tube.

Ramshot Magnum will do around 2935 with 96 grains and the same bullet with no signs of pressure. A 95 grain load looks to be the most accurate giving .58 inch 100 yrd 3 shot groups.

Pistol uses a Benchmark 6 groove cut barrel
Pacific Tool oversized bolt
Muscle brake
Seekins rings, Farrel base with oversize screws
McRee aluminum stock

Spun the reticle in the Burris 3-12 after 27 rounds!!
Recoil isn't bad, two hand grip medium firm works very well. A one hand grip works good too, but will allow the gun to hop about some.

Does anyone know where I can get a bushing die for the .338 NM ?

I've looked on the Internet but seems no one offers one standard, I guess I'll have to order it custom if I can't find any alternative.

At one time Hornady made a custom Die set that the FL Die would accept the Wilson or Redding NK bishing's to adj. your tension.
You may want to check with Lonnie Hummel at Hornady and see if they still offer in a custom set of die's.

Good Job !!!!

Take Care

dougm58

What are your guys average MV for the 300gr (either SMK or Scenars)?

I am thinking that the 338NM is going to be my next barrel for SRS system.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dougm58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
338normapistolsized.jpg

Photo of my .338 Norma Mag pistol built by Robert Snyder of RWS.

96 grains of N570 pushing 250 Sierra MK's yielded 2964 fps from my 23 inch Benchmark barrel. That's a max load. Flat primer but no trouble with bolt lift, no extractor marks, and no case head expansion noted. I plan to drop back to 95 and 95.5 grains and test again. I seated the bullet about .005 off lands. Keep in mind that is not an average velocity. I was just working up powder amounts to find the max and sent one round through the chrony. Still, it's a good sign. I should end up at 2900 fps or slightly higher. Not bad for a 23 inch tube.

Ramshot Magnum will do around 2935 with 96 grains and the same bullet with no signs of pressure. A 95 grain load looks to be the most accurate giving .58 inch 100 yrd 3 shot groups.

Pistol uses a Benchmark 6 groove cut barrel
Pacific Tool oversized bolt
Muscle brake
Seekins rings, Farrel base with oversize screws
McRee aluminum stock

Spun the reticle in the Burris 3-12 after 27 rounds!!
Recoil isn't bad, two hand grip medium firm works very well. A one hand grip works good too, but will allow the gun to hop about some. </div></div>

That is just too cool.

JLC Precision can turn your FL sizing die into a bushing die. Give them a call.

I ran into a problem with the Jamison brass I bought.

After the first firing, I full length resized (brass is unturned) and discovered that a 250 Sierra MK could be inserted 7/8ths of the way into the neck before meeting any resistance. I repeated the above with all 20 rounds of brass.

I loaded rounds using new Norma brass, fired them, and resized just as above. The Norma brass only allowed the boat-tail section to pass into the neck before resistance was met.

I'm using Forester dies. Anyone else having trouble with the Jamison brass like this? If you are using Jamison brass what brand of dies are you using?

Thanks for your help

Doug