• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Suppresor?

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I see that AI has some of their muzzle brakes threaded for suppressors.

What would the best way to set up a barrel so it had a brake with the ability to suppress it down the road?

What would the best suppressor for this be?

I am doing a custom build, not an AI.

Re: .338 Suppresor?

I would take a look at the SureFire and the quick detach system it uses. Really nice set up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would take a look at the SureFire and the quick detach system it uses. Really nice set up. </div></div>

+1 on that, I really like my Surefire!!

Does the barrel on the AI have to be reprofiled to accept the Surefire break and suppressor? Or does it use the barrel as is?

Cut

I don't know what the outer diameter of your barrel is but if it is less than .890 inches in diameter you will not have to have the barrel turned down.

Chuck

I had the chance to shoot a couple 338's with suppressors on them , the AAC Titan thread mount , the Surefire 338 can , the SRT Shadow LM and another from Quick Silver

For the money the AAC Titan is the can to get , suppression was great , recoil reduction was very good cost was ver reasonable though I'd like to see a QD suppressor made from SS rather than the titanium they off simply for a cost aspect.
The SRT suppressor worked very well also as did the Quick Silver both of these suppressors a bit heavy and the QS can is very big , about 12" long and 2" in diameter and must have weighed 3 lbs.
The Surefire suppressor worked and it did bring the report down to a bearable level but I don't feel that it was ear safe as it gave me a noticable ring after the first shot without plugs in.

All the thread mount cans were shot on a custom built 338 using a Lawton action and 28" Hart barrel , the Surefire can was tetsed on an AR-30 from Armalite , the barrel was factory 26" plus the SF brake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the chance to shoot a couple 338's with suppressors on them , the AAC Titan thread mount , the Surefire 338 can , the SRT Shadow LM and another from Quick Silver

For the money the AAC Titan is the can to get , suppression was great , recoil reduction was very good cost was ver reasonable though I'd like to see a QD suppressor made from SS rather than the titanium they off simply for a cost aspect.
The SRT suppressor worked very well also as did the Quick Silver both of these suppressors a bit heavy and the QS can is very big , about 12" long and 2" in diameter and must have weighed 3 lbs.
The Surefire suppressor worked and it did bring the report down to a bearable level but I don't feel that it was ear safe as it gave me a noticable ring after the first shot without plugs in.

All the thread mount cans were shot on a custom built 338 using a Lawton action and 28" Hart barrel , the Surefire can was tetsed on an AR-30 from Armalite , the barrel was factory 26" plus the SF brake </div></div>

Is the titan really worth the extra cost?

The SS Titan is very compairable to in cost $1500 I think , in fact I think its cheaper than the Surefire can and I know its cheaper than the Quicksilver can , the SRT was under $1000 if I remember correctly.

The titanium Titan with the QD mount is like 3k but it is very very ligh compaired to the others , so if money is not an option then thats what I'd get.

I'm sure that Tim from SAS or Shark could make you a suppressor that would work as well.

In my oppinion on a long range bolt gun the added size and weight realy isin't that big of an issue , I'm 100% certain that I can build a suppressor that will work as well of better than any of the one tested , make it 1.75"-2" od and 12-14" long , would probably be in the 3.5lb range but for this type weapon noise reduction is the key , if you want your cake and eat it to then a smaller light weight titanium suppresser is gonna cost you $2500+

I had a Jet .338 I would not go that direction....I was less than happy with the can or the customer service...

The two quietest 338 silencers I have shot are the AWC Thundertrap followed by Advanced Armament titan. I prefer the TitanQD because it's lighter in weight and has a quick detach muzzlebrake. The quick detach feature is dead nuts repeatable too. I dropped my SRS rifle muzzle first onto the concrete with the Titan can installed and the rifle hit the ground hard enough to bounce pretty high. I shot the gun and the zero didn't shift at all! I was very impressed with the mounting system.

The surefire can is good too just make sure it is slid all the way on as I know a lot of guys improperly mount it and have shot the can off. It isn't hard to mount just have to pay attention to what you are doing I guess.

Here's some 338 suppressor eye candy for you:

img7654a.jpg

img7225y.jpg

img7240.jpg

I think I'd piss my pants and cry like a little girl if I dropped that weapon on anything other than my bed

Very nice rig

what brake is that on it in the top pic ,does it go with the Thundertrap??

The brake in the top picture is our standard brake for the SRS, comes stock on the 338LM kit.

The AWC thundertrap is not pictured above, the pictures show an AAC TitanQD, 338Surefire, and Jet reflex suppressor.