• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3650 Yard shot @ Whittington Center(375 Chey-tac)

I am going to try that shot in hawaii in september when i go mouflon hunting. Will keep the hide informed. Great shot billy.

From the picture it definitely doesnt look like theres any lead in the bullet. Im kinda skeptical of a >1.0 BC in a 350gr .375 though regardless. And I imagine theres no way the projo is still supersonic at that range..? Looks like it transitions pretty well.

Excaliber, do you think we could get some more info on your .375-585 Nyati, maybe a pic of the necked down brass? Is it improved? What action did you use to chamber it in? Thats not the same case that Mr Viers uses is it? Im pretty sure he used a modded .577 T-rex? How much difference is there between the Nyati and T-rex? Where do you get brass from? And what kinda velocities are you getting with what bullets? Sounds like a awesome round.

Thanks

It's CNC lathed from copper/nickel alloy and yes the BC is impressive. When fired at 3100fps it stays supersonic to about 2800 yards, which is one of the many reasons it has supplanted the .408CT over the years.

I could post here another "Yahoo!", or maybe a "+1", or perhaps a "Very cool with ice cream and sugar on top", but I can't get past the corrections given:

"Your elevation looks good; you've got to come over left...waaay over."

Priceless.

Last edited:
Hi dogtown , in your professional opinion what is the best bullet/powder combination for the .375 cheytac caliber ?

I could post here another "Yahoo!", or maybe a "+1", or perhaps a "Very cool with ice cream and sugar on top", but I can't get past the corrections given:

"Your elevation looks good; you've got to come over left...waaay over."

Priceless.

I was thinking the same thing while watching it. Shooter must have spotted for himself. I've gotten pretty damned aggravated with a few spotters that had Mil reticles and spotted in "a little bit, or a few inches". Mils Damnit! My 15 year old knows Mils!

Hi dogtown , in your professional opinion what is the best bullet/powder combination for the .375 cheytac caliber ?

"Best" is a subjective term; what's best for me may not be best for you or anyone else. I've traditionally used RL25 but, like many others, have moved to Retumbo. The LRBT/Cheytac/Jamison/whatever 350gr copper/nickel solid was the go-to bullet for many years with this cartridge, but there are now others that are also performing well, particularly the Cutting Edge 352gr solid (DTM is using this in their ammo). Lathed solids are expensive to shoot, but will give you the best performance beyond 2000 yards. The "best" economical option is to use jacketed bullets like the 350SMK.

We are very lucky out here with our weather and altitude. Both really allow such long shots to be taken. Long range shooting ranges are common and the shooters routinely shoot out to 2,000 yards as if it was a normal thing to do. Also BLM has open land where you can shoot for many miles if you wanted to do so. With today's calibers and optics / mounts long range shooting in on the rise here in the SW.
Calling the fall of shot without the use of a CCTV is very hard to do due to the mirage, it is desert after all. You notice they were above the target, which is what is needed to try and stay above the mirage. The winds out here follow the lay of the land. It is common to see the winds flow in several different directions at a known range at the same time. Fish-tail would be a good way to describe the winds.
You would think that the bullet hitting the ground would always kick up a cloud of dust. This is not the case. The ground is not open sand. It is covered with small pea gravel,sand,prehistoric clay soil and dry grass clumps. ( it used to all be under a sea) The bullet will for at least 50% of the time, dive under a clump of grass. There is no hint of impact. We have even tried spreading several hundred pounds of lime on the impact area to kick a cloud of white dust. It does work but is easily blow away with in a week. Any advantage is a plus in calling the fall of shot.
His shot is one for the record books. I'm sure he will be beating his shot in the future.

Rapidrob,
Well done and well said. We have an ELR range in southwest Texas. Our shot origin is up high as well as the good 'ol Trans Pecos region of Texas can produce nasty mirage. My Dad suggested using lime for our 1 mile, 2,000 yard, and 2,700 yard targets to help identify bullet splashes. I argued it wouldn't work. I am glad to see that you have had experience using it! We can pick up splashes beyond 1 mile roughly 80% of the time.

3,650 yards,......I can't come up with anything that hasn't already been said other than, "Wow!"

Yeah not sure about that myself....the DTA lathe turned solid copper pills are right around .89 G1

steve123, what 350gr solid has a BC of 1.1? After talking to several bullet manufactures, getting BC that high is almost impossible to stabilize unless the exit twist is around 6.5 or so, then the bullet weight is around 400gr+. Also the velocity would be around 2750-2800fps.

having shot plenty to a mile in the CA high desert BLM, I am amazed that both the spotter can see anything at 2 miles, and moreover at 25x that the shooter can see anything at 2 miles, mirage or not. And throwing in a slight mirage wow... seems impossible to me. Then the elevation... how do you gain that much... the scope base must be something.

It,s a great time in America to know that there are shooter,s out there taking it beyond our imagination. I am pleased to be associated with you fellow Hide member,s and learning along the way. Fantastic shot again Billy.

Yeah not sure about that myself....the DTA lathe turned solid copper pills are right around .89 G1

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread this was the BC that was put forward to be used back then 4-5 years ago when I was experimenting with the 375CT.

Learning as I go.

Bump, this is awesome. I was just commenting about how id like a 375 on another thread, then bam saws this. Just sweet ass sweet cakes.

Is nice seeing some old threads popping back up. That is impressive with two shots, two miles. Nice way to end the day. Good job Billy

As this is an open forum, we would prefer not to provide this information in open sources accordingly. We appreciate your understanding.
cheytac.com

Aww...man. Are you guys still doing that 'we won't sell our best guns and ammo to civilians because you don't need it' stuff? I kind of want one of these guns, but not if you're not 100% behind the 2nd Amendment.

As this is an open forum, we would prefer not to provide this information in open sources accordingly. We appreciate your understanding.
cheytac.com

I'm a little confused by this statement myself, especially as a shooter who has gone on board the 375 CT bandwagon with my little disability check ("A man must have a goal to pursue to make waking up each day worthwhile (paraphrased for the holier than thou's out there)...Voltaire). You offer up well deserved kudos to a an excellent shooter, but when one of our own asks a serious question, you go all cloak and dagger. Are you J.D. Jones, or maybe Alexander Arms in disguise? Seriously, give a hint as to why you look forward to providing, or rather selling, more ammo in the future, but decline to answer a very relevant question? Can I buy the same ammo you would sell this shooter, or is it literally cloaked in a veil of national (corporate?) security? Not trying to make flames or disrespect CheyTac, but give us a clue as to why you can't answer the question posed. I thought that was one of the reasons this website was here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CheyTac,,,,, Have I got this correct that you dont sell to the public, you make a beautiful Gun and people cant have it???

Well thats a shame, have you made an agreement with the government not to sell it to the public??.

Can anyone here who has fired the M200 tell me what the recoil is like on these and tell me what it compares to in terms of recoil because I read somewhere that because of the Break it is real Low.

Thanks Guys,,,,,John

.375 Chey Tac is the way to go for ELR shooting, I'll start with mine in the next future to engage target beyond 2000 meters, but I'm looking for accuracy and repeatability of solid hits over a normal target ( human size ).

3650 y were good but we can also shoot in this manner to 1600 meters with a .308..... how many rounds we are able to put on the target ? and what about percentage ?

first thing to considerer, is my scope able to help me in ELR shooting ?

I've a Premiere Reticle 5-25x56 Gen 2 XR very good glass, is mounted on a 45 MOA rail, my .375 is zeroed at 100 meters and I've all the 28 MIL ( plus 1 click ) available to dial in my turret, I've also the first 10 mil for hold, so totally 38 MIL and I've the 20 MIL more of the last part of the vertical stadia, finally 58 MIL but at the lower mag... with a 12x magnification I can have 44 MIL.. so good compromise mag/elevation.

with a 17x I'm able to spot impact on target located at 1500 meters

In Italy is very difficult to have higher density altitude in this period I can shoot with an average DA of 1200 meters.

I'm doing some test with different bullet, the Cutting Edge 320 ( for mag use ) give me one hole groups at 100 meters and a muzzle velocity of 985 m/s, I'll use a factory BC of .804 ( I'll calculate mine soon )

I'm also waiting some bullets to test from Dynamic Research

with this data by bullet has a supersonic flight till 2231 meters with the lower transonic boundary at 2943 meters, Field Firing Solutions give me a max usable range of 2894 meters with 42.7 MIL.

with the same value of DA to shoot to 2500 meters I need 30.1 MIL.

I'm looking for a distance where I can do accurate shooting, may be 2500/2800 meters...

I'll considerer farther distance but only with different concept..... " saturation of an area " thinking about this everything rifle/caliber will be good , 10 shooter with a .308 shooting to 1600 meters could do the job.

If I'll have the opportunity to shoot with higher DA the thing it seem to be much better... with a DA of 4200 meters the bullet has a supersonic flight till 3184 meters with 32.8 MIL required, to shoot to 3400 meters 37.7 with a residual of cinetic energy of 1073 joule.

so, scope elevation and the first part of hold off is not a problem also with high magnification.. may be the limit could be the meteo environment wind/mirage

Last edited:
Wow, Thats reaching out beyoned the limits of our eye sight, I was wondering about that because I made up a table and from what you say the .375 has emence energy and it doesnt slow down much and beyoned a mile it seems constant.

It seem like you have put in the hours with this I hope all goes well with the new loads so let us know what the results are,

What App software are you using for this rifle, Because it seems to be very accurite.

Once I thought 2000yds was long Range but this Rifle doubles that, So why do you Zero it at 100m instead of around 500m/600yds etc,

Thanks for your time,,,, John

Last edited:
I zero all my rifle, .308, .338, ( .408 for a study project ) and .375 at 100 meters to reduce any kind of problems, shooter error, meteo environment.. and to check accuracy of my load

if you use the correct scope with the correct rail you can do every things without problems, as I wrote with my scope I've all what I want, for me the Premiere Heritage with Gen 2 XR reticle is the way to go for ELR shooting.

I'm using Field Firing Solutions Delta V and what I see is this software is spot on, for example some time ago I calculate the BC of a bullet after a 100 meter zero I've shoot to 1890 meters, just a little bit beyond the supersonic flight of the bullet for that day

I do not correct the windage to check groups and elevation, the rifle was zeroed from another person at 100 meters I was .1 MIL from center, I forgot to take in account this, but later on aiming to a 50x50 cm blu cross the elevation predicted by FFS was dead on.

without any sight shot, first shoot was about 1 MIL to the left, the second one was very close to the other one, so with a little hold to the right the possibility to hit the sub MOA cross could was very high

during the video you can see after the first shots was my intentions to dial the windage turret, but a friend of mine said " do not touch, to see groups ) ...sorry only in Italian language

I've the opportunity to test some .50, and .408 DA 0 meters

.50 with Sniper Elite muzzle velocity at 10 meters from muzzle 788 m/s con 14276 J

supersonic flight end at 1198 meters

at 1000 meters s 3590 J at 1500 meters 1955 J at 2000 1378 J

the limit is 1198 after this the bullet is not more supersonic and the accuracy > 1 MOA

.408 Chey Tac bullet 419 gr Rocky Mountain muzzle velocity at 10 meters 849 m/s with 9669 J

supersonic flight end at 1550 m

at 1000 meters 3328 J at 1500 meters 1667 J at 2000 meters 1089 J

.375 Chey Tac Cutting Edge da 320 gr muzzle velocity at 10 meter 985 m/s con 9978 J

supersonic flight end at 1966 with 1200 J

at 1000 meters 3855 J a 1500 2153 J a 2000 1159 J

.50 to shoot to 2000 meters 45.9 MIL
.408 to shoot to 2000 meters 30.4 MIL
.375 to shoot to 2000 meters 20.3 MIL

the .375 must be verified at this distance, but I'm confident about FFS output data because for other 2 caliber was perfect..

Last edited:
Thanks for shareing, That Rifle seems to put many others in the shade, I can see why you like it, I didnt realize that they shoot so flat even though the fps is not excessive,

How many shots can you fire with it before you have to call it a day, because i have heard the Barrett is just too much to shoot all day,

John