• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

375 Chey Tac - Brake choices

tactrat

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2009
Montana
I've decided to build a 375 CT and am getting the parts coming. I've read every CT thread I could find on the Hide and am thankful for all the good info. About the only thing I could not find info or opinions on are the muzzle brakes you guys are using, specific to the CT. I'm looking for a brake to shoot prone with (no bottom port brakes need apply)and recoil reduction is my main focus, of course. Your help is appreciated.

Re: 375 Chey Tac - Brake choices

You are not a paid vendor and you cannot link back to your own site.

I will call Barker machine, hadn't seen his yet until you guys mentioned it. What would you compare the effectiveness of his brake to? I know recoil is subjective, but what does your 375 CT feel like now with his brake on it?

I have some Elite Iron goodies. When I'm ready for a suppressor, the Windtalker is likely the route I go.

Anybody have experience with the XXX Bastard or the Shark Bite.

Thanks for the info, keep it comming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: midgetorama</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtnhntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at barkermachineworks.com </div></div>

The brake John uses makes my 375 Cheytac a pussycat to shoot. I highly recommend it. </div></div>

Loved the 24-inch 375 on their website. What a ridiculous elk gun that would be!

tactrat,
The Elite Iron Supressor is going to be the best one you will find. I have shot alot other supressors and have shot next to many others at the shot show. The Elite Iron beats them all. We shot a 338 Lapua and no one believed it, until we let them shoot it. It would really quite the bark of the 375 down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lnc2bldr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another effective brake to check out
RSnyder </div></div>

Thanks.

My brake is very effective, just as much if not a little more than the barker/lawton/cheytac design. Plus you can remove it easily for cleaning or to attach a suppressor.

I have a Snyder brake on my .375 Cheytac. When shooting a 375 grain Rocky Mountain bullet at 3,000 fps it's about the same recoil as my 3006 shooting a 200 grain at 2,800 fps.

What parts are you using for the chassis, action and barrel tactrat?
I'm trying do decide between building a 338 NM in an AICS Classic Stock or KRG W3C, and a 375 CT, but can't find a production looking chassis for the 375 CT similar to the others I mentioned.

Using a BAT single shot action (left bolt-right port), Brux barrel and XLR chassis. The brake is the last part to decide on.

I have had a .375 CT for several years, and never liked the Lawton/CheyTac brake. Just not very effective. I know a smith in Indiana that made brakes very similar to Mr. Snyders, with only the side ports, no top ports. Much more effective. Personally, I do not like having ports on the top of the brake in a long range rifle, since it is most often shot while on the ground. The top holes tend to slap the muzzle down, and that slaps the cheek piece up into your cheekbone.. not real comfortable. It is not like a weapon you are shooting rapid fire from you shoulder, like an AR, in which you need to control muzzle rise. Shooting prone is a whole different story. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks lrs50, that's been my experience as well shooting prone with light holds on the rifle. I am more consistant that way.

No one has tried the XXX Bastard yet on a Chey Tac or a 50?

I shoot Barkers Machine Works 375 CT with his break. It is made to the profile of the barrel and it kicks like a 30-06. Works very nice. Have shot almost 100 rounds in one sitting. I will shoot it prone all day long and not worry.

Greg,

Good to hear from you! The smith that made the brake I use is Mr. Ray Salzman. I will have to dig up his address.. but I do have his work and cell numbers..

I will send you a PM with the info!

Scott

Kirby Allens Pain Killer brake is excellent, absolutely tames his 375 AM. It's softer than my braked 338 RUM!!!

Check this one out.

100_0650.jpg

That is a CheyTac-style brake - Lawton 8500 action and McRee Folding stock.
I have this break and are very pleased with it.

Cheers,

Master Diver

My freakin brain is bleeding with all this info. Keep it coming. I want to get it right the first time and haven't used a caliber this large yet. I've shot 338 LM but nothing larger yet. Thanks for the info thus far guys and keep it coming.

+1 more for Mr. Snyder's brake.

I can shoot mine all day and not get fatigued.

I'm sure other brakes out there do well too but, I can only speak for the one that's on my own rifle and, I like it.

Mine is a 5 port version and, the rifle doesn't really push much at all... I've had 308s kick more than my 375 does.

tactrat any word on which one you have decided on, I'm in the same boat and like you would like to do it right the first time.

Thanks,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtnhntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Contact Tate at Boise tactical for range report on 375 Brakes

[email protected] </div></div>

Thank you sir,

Barker Machine Works makes an outstanding brake in general and especially for the 375 Cheytac. It's the best one we have found yet and you can shoot it all day long and not even realize that you are shooting a 375.

Just a thought....why wouldn't the Badger FTE brake be a good choice? I'm thinking bout trying one on my cheytac build.

I have a Allen pain killer on my .408 and it is THE BEST!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nostradumbass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a thought....why wouldn't the Badger FTE brake be a good choice? I'm thinking bout trying one on my cheytac build.
</div></div>

I've done a couple of them. They work, just not as well as others though. For the best reduction in recoil the side gills should be pointing back at a 10-15 degree angle.

After all my research, I decided to go with the XXX Bastard from APA. I am very pleased. The brake is very effective. I can shoot the 375 CT all day with no problem. It was designed for the 50. APA sent it with the bore undersized and my smith opened it up. I hate heavy recoil and don't have to deal with it using the XXX Bastard.

I've noticed that one dealer in firearms claims that their "Howitzer Brake" reduces recoil 100%. I wonder if it would (or wouldn't) work on the Cheytac. Robert Snyder is the gunsmith who built my Cheytac. Maybe he has the answers?
Raincoat.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrjimsfc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've noticed that one dealer in firearms claims that their "Howitzer Brake" reduces recoil 100%. I wonder if it would (or wouldn't) work on the Cheytac. Robert Snyder is the gunsmith who built my Cheytac. Maybe he has the answers?
Raincoat.gif

</div></div>

It's only my opinion but, man, that howitzer brake.....I've shit better looking turds!
Just sayin'