• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

37XC build

Nah, but if someone wants to give away a Barnard action, I wouldn’t let it go to waste

While I can’t speak for @jasent , I haven’t had time to look into more primary extraction on this one yet. After this weekend I’ll see what can be done. I’m not using the full ramp on the back of the bolt collar by far so if I can get all of that, it should be a lot better

It's pretty straight forward to adjust.

The poor guy way to do it is adding some set screws to the rear bolt baffle to space it off the receiver. Bolt baffles are cheap.

I shorten the bolt body on mine.
BoltShortening.JPG

And then shorten the bolt the same amount. Setting it up to center the cocking collar reduces the bolt lift some.

BAB.JPG

And the claw is not letting go, it’s ripping right through the rim, it’s definitely brass sticking in the chamber and takes a pretty good thump to free it up.

That's actually a pretty strong endorsement of the the Savage extractor.....

Reactions: Geno C.
That's actually a pretty strong endorsement of the the Savage extractor.....
Well there’s two ways of looking at that.
1-yeah, plenty Of extractor because it’s ripping rims.
2-meh, ripping rims because the extractor has minimal surface coverage, bad shape or is deflecting.

Reactions: jasent
I didn't really intend to be the apologist for Savage, but I've had good luck with them as cheap mules.

When there is enough time on the extraction cam, the extractor is less likely to rip rims because it's pulling the case out over a longer arc.

The cases in my 33XC stop going into the sizing die before they stop coming out of the gun. QL estimates it takes nearly 80 ksi before that starts happening. I use all Savage extractor parts.

Well there’s two ways of looking at that.
1-yeah, plenty Of extractor because it’s ripping rims.
2-meh, ripping rims because the extractor has minimal surface coverage, bad shape or is deflecting.
It could also be telling you;

3 - We're way over pressure
4 - We don't have enough primary extraction timing

Mine would need a firing pin bushed and turned, bolt lift kit and extraction set to be a decent gun

Savage extractors are pretty small so not much wiggle room to get sporty.
How did you decide that? I'll bet you read it on the internet!

80 ksi is well beyond sporty and about 10 above what stout reloads should be with the best brass.

Improving the extraction timing is the trick, not a larger extractor. The last 3 R700s I've bought all had the same lack of primary extraction, but it's more expensive to fix.

Mine would need a firing pin bushed and turned, bolt lift kit and extraction set to be a decent gun
I skip bushing the firing pin to leave a reminder that I'm running a lot of pressure. I've never pierced a primer in my Savages.

The bolt lift kits are a waste of money.

The large bolt knobs are only ~$40

They'll never be a particularly nice gun, but they're straight forward and cheap to set up. I don't think I'd pay anybody to set one up for me, but they're economical for a hobbyist with a lathe and mill. They're not for special snowflakes that can only shoot the very best, but if you're the type that can make anything on the rack work, they'll do.

They're pretty much yesterdays news though. The magnum RPRs are even easier to set up, cheaper than a Savage in a decent chassis, take a lot less machine work, and are generally stouter. Both mine have plenty of primary extraction.

Today I loaded up 2 pressure tests. One with 350gr smk and the other with 361gr flatlines. Both started at 111gr h1000 virgin brass
Shot all the smk’s with out issues. No web expansion gravy extraction. Very first flatline Pearce’s the primer, very high pressure! Case head separation and now I got the front half of a peace of brass stuck in my chamber 🤬. Case broke about inch above the head.

Shouldn't be that drastic of a difference considering the design, especially at that low of a charge weight

As promised
D42959E0-3501-43BB-9FD2-3B1A4F8BB81E.jpeg

The bullets have been sent back to wtc and a lead slug of my bore. I don’t have a way to measure to the .000?” So I sent it to dan and Allen.

Last edited:
This is true. And the lack of ejector Mark is odd as well. With a round that hot I would expect to see it. Another thing that has me thinking is the case broke at all. A properly fitting case to chamber shouldn’t break. I’ve know guys to lock a bolt so tight we hand to take the barrel off and the case was still intact. There is something else going on with that case other than just the extreme high pressure that’s would very well be caused by a little large bullet/ little tight barrel; or a combination of both.

Well I got the case out of the chamber. Looking it over I see the neck sealed nicely right at the neck shoulder junction. If you remember my chamber is .030” long. I’m thinking the firing pin pushed the case forward, igniting the primer, neck expanded and sealed holding brass in place. Then pressure spikes stretching case back to the bolt face and pushing primer out, case stretch’s in one spot and separation occurs while smashing primer. This was virgin brass. Thinking the smk doesn’t have as high a pressure so the case stretches more evenly.

In theory the flatlines should have less pressure but if bore is tight than that could explain it.

Few more parts to the puzzle and I should have this issue figured out and back to enjoying my rifle.
Sure would be disappointed if I have to stick with the smk’s for this barrel but wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Reactions: 7mmShooter
Well I got the case out of the chamber. Looking it over I see the neck sealed nicely right at the neck shoulder junction. If you remember my chamber is .030” long. I’m thinking the firing pin pushed the case forward, igniting the primer, neck expanded and sealed holding brass in place. Then pressure spikes stretching case back to the bolt face and pushing primer out, case stretch’s in one spot and separation occurs while smashing primer. This was virgin brass. Thinking the smk doesn’t have as high a pressure so the case stretches more evenly.

In theory the flatlines should have less pressure but if bore is tight than that could explain it.

Few more parts to the puzzle and I should have this issue figured out and back to enjoying my rifle.
Sure would be disappointed if I have to stick with the smk’s for this barrel but wouldn’t be the end of the world.
Did you really mean to say that your chamber, ie head space, is 0.030" long? If that's true, you're asking way too much without fire forming first. If this is true, then it certainly explains your pressure issues.

Did you really mean to say that your chamber, ie head space, is 0.030" long? If that's true, you're asking way too much without fire forming first. If this is true, then it certainly explains your pressure issues.
Yes .030” long

Not sure I’m understanding as the 70 peace’s of brass I have fire formed with the smk’s mostly with the 116gr load(also why I stopped my pressure test there with the virgin brass) have had zero issues. Yet the one peace I tried with the flatline had the pressure spike. When we spoke on the phone you had said the flatline should have a lower pressure than the smk. And it was loaded 5gr lower charge than the highest smk load.

I’m a bit confused now.

Suppose I could pull the bullets I had loaded for the flatlines and load them in the fire formed brass to test this but don’t want to do that till you have measurements of my bore slug and have confirmed those bullets won’t be tight in my bore.

Really hoping the flatlines will work in this barrel as I have been happy with the performance. Just don’t understand why the pressure is so much higher than the smk’s

Last edited:
My point was that it seemed like you were fire forming with the loads conveyed. If you have previously fire formed the cases, then it should have no bearing on the situation unless the brass 8s too thin. Lets stick with the original plan and see what your groove measures before reading anymore into it.

We believe the bore is too tight for the monos, slug I sent wtc wasn’t great and I’m sending them 2 more just to be sure. But work has been crazy and yesterday was my first day off in 2 weeks.

I’m thinking I’m going to just order a new barrel and play with smk’s till it’s ready

Going shouldered with the new barrel Jasen? Good to see some issues being figured out, hopefully the new barrel will run as expected

Yes I’m going to go shouldered this time and probably even let the smith chamber it 😝

Haven’t decided on the smith yet, thinking I want 1:7 34” finished k&p barrel.
If ya remember this barrel was just a cheap test to see if I wanted to step up to cheytac action or not. Now I figure if I step up I’ll skip chey tac size and go with a 416 Barrett or similar

Yes I’m going to go shouldered this time and probably even let the smith chamber it 😝

Haven’t decided on the smith yet, thinking I want 1:7 34” finished k&p barrel.
If ya remember this barrel was just a cheap test to see if I wanted to step up to cheytac action or not. Now I figure if I step up I’ll skip chey tac size and go with a 416 Barrett or similar

Yup I remember, twas a good test all things considered I think... and I agree with how close the XC runs already the next logical step would be the Barrett or similar.