• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.38 HBWC : too tight?

Glennp

Private
Minuteman
Well, not the best forum to post it but Ide like to heard what you folk have to say.

I've ventured onto loading .38 HBWC rounds. Since ive heard how easy it is, and how bad it is, to shrink down the round by not expanding or crimpping properly I went ahead and pulled a loaded round to measure the bullet. Sure enough, it measures out to about .355/.3555"

Im sure some shrinkage is par for the course, BUT, how much is normal, and how much is too much? This is using a .358 expander plug, should I bump it up to my .361 plug? Or should I leave it be as its totally fine? The outside dimensions if they matter are: right at the mouth, the loaded and crimped round is approx .375 diameter. midway down where the bullet is, its about .3765/.377 (varies).

Im using a lee FCD but it isnt sizing it down at all so that isnt a problem

Thanks!

Re: .38 HBWC : too tight?

You probably started around .357 or .358 in diameter. The base is supposed to expand to fill the bore. Did you shave any lead of the bullet? Unless you shaved slices of the lead it's not too tight.

Dont know if they shoot, I turn 21 in 5 days and then i need to wait for my permit to clear (im in NJ, UGH!) but I have a K38 waiting!

About the shavings: none at all. nice clean entry
smile.gif

Curious what brand HBWC your using ? Ive never mic'd a pulled round but I have loaded 10's of thousands of HBWC's in my Dillon 550 over the last 10 years and never had a problem. My rounds have been accurate enough to get me into the Master class (PPC, 5-50 yard matches)

The hollowbase bullet is usually soft lead and should "flare" out to properly fill the bore.

I use 3.2 grains of Winchester 231, Remington 148 HBWC , Remington Cases and Federal standard pistol primers

If you don't have any shavings you have a good case flare and shouldn't be compressing the bullet. I've loaded a lot of (2-3K) cast .45 and .38 but never measured a pulled bullet. I have pulled some and can see where the shell has "crimped" into them. I don't use alot of crimp just the lead is that soft. Happy Birthday, celebratory drinks after range trip.