• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3rd or 5rd groups and how many?

clrems77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Orange County Ca
Trying to develop new loads and have been using 3rd groups. Been reading about people using 5rd groups. So my question is which is better/more accurate for load development and how many groups do you shoot per load?

Thanks in advance!

CJ

I've been using 3rd groups for 25yrs and it seems to work for me. Some will say 5 rds. I feel 3rds gives me a good indication of what's going on. Also, when the reloading budget is an issue, or component availability, it helps to conserve supplies.

I've been using 3 or 4 round groups the last couple years after having done a ladder test. Mostly testing for seating depth at this point. If I have two that hit far apart then I disqualify that depth.

If you are having 3 rounds touching most of the time, meaning that you've confirmed this load, you are pretty much done with load development.

Most of my cartridges are overbore so I want to save the barrel as much as possible. Plus load development is tedious and time consuming.

I've been using 3rd groups for 25yrs and it seems to work for me. Some will say 5 rds. I feel 3rds gives me a good indication of what's going on. Also, when the reloading budget is an issue, or component availability, it helps to conserve supplies.

+1

I had an intense discussion on this very matter with a fellow shooter a few weeks ago. IMO...if I can stack 3rds in the same hole I feel that for me, it is a successful load and no need to shoot 5 rds. I have been doing this for tactial match loads for a few years and been very successful. On the other hand, if I am working on a load for F-Class, it is a 3rd group to find the best node, then I start shooting 5rd groups and refining my load a little more.

I like several 10 rounds groups per charge variation, I feel I get more consistency out of the load and rifle combo and never tests under 300 yds.

3 shot groups lie to you more often than they tell you the truth.
5 shot groups tell you the truth more often than they lie to you.
4 shot groups are about 50%/50%.

3 shot groups will tell you if a load is bad, but will not tell you if a load is good. There have been far too many times where I might get a 3 shot group in the .4s or .5s only to not be able to repeat it. Or I might get two touching and another an inch or more out. Sometimes I might get a couple of consecutive 3 shot groups that were really good but wondered why the POI was slightly different between them.

Finally I started stacking the 3 shot groups and the light came on. Those "fliers" aren't… They are part of the group. If your goal is to use your group as a predictor of where future rounds are going to hit, 3 shot groups generally don't cut it. They CAN if you use them the right way. Shoot multiple 3 shot groups at the same point of aim and see what the composite group irons out. But, for me, a single or even couple of three shot groups shot at different points of aim have generally only left me scratching my head as to why my results aren't repeatable.

John

3 works best IMHO. You'll get a very good idea how a load shoots off 3. It's enough to see the harmonic nodes rise and fall. 5 shot groups you are just taking away 2 bullets you could use for another test. You can use 5 to "confirm" a good load.

My thought has been 3 shots tests the load. 5 or more tests the shooter.

I totally agree with this. I have shot many sub 0.25 moa 3 shoot groups only to get "Buck Fever" on the 4th or 5th shot to open the groups way up. I know it's my fault as I can usually call where the errant shot will land.

When I did some iron sight work recently with my service rifle I did 5 shot groups for the load work up, then took the top 2 and did 10 shot groups to find the best one. For big bore cartridges like the 338 LM or 300WM, I'd settle for 3 shot groups for the initial load work up, then take the best 2-3 loads and go for 5 shot groups to come to a final conclusion.