• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $400 red dot choice?

goldeneagle76

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
Delaware
If you were going to spend $400. Would you opt for the Aimpoint PRO or get a Vortex SPARC and use the other $200 for ammo?
I am not going to war with my AR, paper punching and perhaps some matches. I have read reviews on the SPARC and they are about 90% positive. Most negatives have to do with battery life and the on/off switch. Had an Eotech 512 but was not wild about the AA batteries.

Re: $400 red dot choice?

Get the proven, military grade, Aimpoint. Don't waste your money. Use the money saved from having to upgrade to an Aimpoint in the future for ammo.

Aimpoint Pro.....I've got a couple of SPARC's, but they are used on non-critical .22 rimfire trainers. While I like some things about the SPARC, they have been a little finicky with relation to the battery compartment....if the cover isn't tightened down with extreme force, the dot will turn itself off( and back on) at inopportune times. No big deal on a rimfire trainer....big problem on anything serious.

Depends on what you,will use your rifle for. If its a duty rifle or going to get the crap beat out of it then go Aimpoint pro.....if not just get the vortex strike fire......the dots are about the same 2moa vs 4 moa and 400plus bucks instead of only 139 . I'm putting a vortex on my next m4 just bc I. Know the accuracy will be the same as the Aimpoint and I'm not using it as a duty weapon.

If it sucks I will just return it i10 days and get my money back due to their customer satisfaction guarantee.

I have an Eotech 512 and a Sparc. I actually have been favoring the dot on the Sparc more as of late. Battery life would be a problem if you were down range, but if it is for shooting at targets, the Sparc is just fine IMHO. I have beaten up both my red dots and the Sparc is holding its own against my 512. If Vortex could fix the battery life issue, I'd bet more folks would use them.

For $400, the Aimpoint Pro would be my choice.

I own a SPARC, an EOTech 512, an EOTech EXPS2-2, and a Burris FastFire II.

The EOTech 512 was my first red dot, 7 or 8 years old now.

The SPARC was my second purchase, I liked the idea of the 2x magnifier and the NV capability, since I get to borrow NV from work. I don;t use the 2X magnifier at all, and the control "pod" off to the side bothers me when keeping both eyes open. Heck of a sight for the price, excellent review here:

AR15 Sparc Review

Third purchase was the EXPS2-2 because... I could, and we had an exclusive on the combination of non-NV, quick release base and side buttons with the OPMOD. I like the -2 reticle the best of the bunch, but I'm not a fan of the lower 1/3 co-witness.

In all honestly, I use the Burris FastFire II the most - It's light, and I like the AR-F3 mount:
opplanet-burris-ar-f3-mount-410348.png

My only complaint was that the auto adjust is dimmer than the Leupold Deltapoint (but also half the price of the Deltapoint, and I'm a cheap bastard). My complaint has been addressed with the FastFire III announced at SHOT Show - it has three brightness settings as well as an auto-adjust.

But, to address the original question, if i had $400 burning a hole in my pocket, I would buy an Aimpoint Pro and a couple of 4-packs of Guinness.

Mark H.

Mark,
I am actually planning on using you guys to get the Aimpoint. Believe it is $400 with free shipping from you...correct? Waiting on payment from something I sold to another member and then will be ordering. The Guiness is not a bad idea either but I prefer Smuttynose Baltic and Robust Porters instead!

With the benefit of hindsight I would recommend the Aimpoint on this one.

I went down the same road you are on a got a cheap(er) red-dot sight the first go round. I quickly grew tired of it cutting off from recoil and got rid of it. I then ponied up for the ML3 and have been very happy with it since.

I wish I would have saved the $150 the first time.

Get an Aimpoint used from the sales section. Keep an eye out and you should be able to find one close to your price.

I made the same mistakes as others, I bought the cheaper sights and was not happy with them. I found a used ML3 in the samplelist as SWFA for $400.

Just get the Aimpoint and be done with it!

A new Aimpoint PRO is $400.
Aimpoint earned my trust in Iraq.
Overall, I don't believe there is a better red dot for reliability and durability.

PRO. We have them for our squad rifles. Very high quality and absolutely bullet-proof reliability. I have two other Aimpoints, and I have never been disappointed.
Vortex is confident in their product as a good sight, but they acknowledge that their SPARC and StrikeFire are not on the same level as an Aimpoint for durability, reliability and battery life.

Having used a vortex, broke it twice on a spare carbine..
I spent the extra on aimpoint. the money and time wasted on inferior products are not worth the $200.00.
Not to mention if you EVER want to sell it one day, re sell value of aimpoint is very good compared to the vortex.
Buy once cry once!

There was an H1 in the for sale section in a LaRue mount for $450.. can't beat that IMHO. Otherwise, if you have to have new the Pro is an awesome deal.

I only have one Reddot and it is an Aimpoint and I have been completely happy with it. The new PRO looks like a good choice for you.

I show $408.49 with the coupon code below. No sales tax, unless you're unfortunate enough to live in Illinois (lone holdout against CCW), and free shipping.

We're backordered at the moment like almost everyone else - somewhere between 600 and 700 were supposed to be here at the end of February, so they're already a couple of days late. I'm waiting on mine, too, if it makes you feel any better!

Mark H.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bornhunter04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aimpoint pro - it's on my "to buy list" </div></div>

Me too.

aimpoint..i have had 3 (comp m2, and 2 comp m4's)..never had a single issue.. and the battery life is crazy..