• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

< $400 work bench?

buggz

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2021
Georgia
Hmm, all the big local stores want around $400 for a "regular" wooden top work bench.
Anyone know any good deals?
Specifically for mounting an RCBS RC Supreme.

Last edited:
I got my current bench from Sam's, think it was like ~$200: https://www.samsclub.com/p/height-adj-workbench-ultrahd/prod22651720?xid=plp_product_2

It's a fairly solid bench (and was cheaper than I could build one for), added a couple L-brackets to anchor it to a couple studs and GTG.

Reloading Bench.jpg

Last edited:
I built my own but if you don't want to deal with that an old school heavy duty office desk from the 70's at swap meet or craigslist.

Reactions: Texasflyer
You can make your own for 400ish and be WAY better than anything you'll buy.

This is 3 individual 4'x2' table/frames, fastened together with 2 8'x2' butchers block from Menards ($168ea) and 3 little cheapo book cases (or whatever they had there) stacked on top.
6ish ft of reloading space, and a 4ft work area I threw some 3/4" stall mat down on.

Attachments

• 104837335_296497578400269_5619754301164822417_n.jpg
    104837335_296497578400269_5619754301164822417_n.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 154
How handy are you with wood and power tools? Are you only looking for basic or would you like something more personalized?

I used this information to build a portable bench that has plenty of storage. There is a link at the bottom of the page with assembly drawings and dimensions. With modifications to the top I got the ability to put a press at any of the 5 per side for 10 total locations or simply have a flat table top with the presses stored underneath. The only problem I had was mounting my Dillon on a strong mount, it worked out but uses two locations because of the width of the base. Still removable when not needed. Also, to strengthen the top I divided the narrow top shelf into 3 sections with 2 dividers.

If you do decide to build this measure the thickness of your plywood first so your parts fit properly. Also, adding wheels raises the top of the bench. You can adjust the height by changing the height of the vertical walls. Good luck on your search.

Last edited:
This frontdoor. Plus some 2x4 legs. Under $150 if buying new.

i got a used door from a recently built house in my area for free. I might've spent $25 total.

It's on the small side, but the Harbor Freight offering is fairly sturdy if you aren't doing factory barrel removals on it. $160.

Hmm, all the big local stores want around $400 for a "regular" wooden top work bench.
Do you have any Habitat for Humanity "leftover" stores near you? They sell old counter tops, butcher block tops, etc. for a good chunk off and even with the ridiculous lumber prices, you can make a great bench for well under $400.

Reactions: Gunnn
It's on the small side, but the Harbor Freight offering is fairly sturdy if you aren't doing factory barrel removals on it. $160.

I waited until they were on sale for $115. and bought two, they work very well for reloading for me.

I waited until they were on sale for $115. and bought two, they work very well for reloading for me.

I just got one as well during the recent sale. Thinking of picking up another soon, it works great and has good storage. Plenty sturdy and was quick to assemble.

Reactions: bunny too
Wow, I bought the Sam's deal the other day.
Though, this looks really nice.
Heh, I don't need two benches, though I am tempted to buy this one also.

Reactions: bunny too
I built mine from a few 2 x 4's. Used MDF for most flat surfaces. Wanted the worksurface to be rigid so I glued and screwed 3/4 Barzilian Cherry flooring and trimmed the edge in hardwood. Rock solid. Bought 4 locking casters. Loaded down the weight keeps it from moving around.

I'd estimate under $150 in materials total.

Reactions: buggz
Find local mission stores, that sell building materials. The ones near me, have poor inventory, since post covid price increases. If you can, look the day before trash pickup, in the wealthier parts of town. It may take several days of curb shopping. I've found tons of stuff for my rentals that just needed glue, finishing nails, or paint. Beats buying new and having tenants destroy it. I've also found stuff at Goodwill that would be a good foundation for a workbench. It takes some searching, but you can build a nice bench for cheap.

Go to your home improvement stores and look for a solid core flat door that was not what someone wanted and didn't take.

Last 2 for me were like 50 bucks each.

Reactions: BLEE
Built mine out of leftover materials from construction projects. Two 5 1/2x12x4’ long glu lams toe bolted(is that a term?) together with 10” timber screws and flush at the top, with 2x4 frame. Someone already touched on the question of your handiness with tools and woodworking, but that and your imagination are the limiting factors.

For a website full of "poors" references, I'm shocked at a lot of the advice in this thread. Who spends thousands on a rifle and optics, hundreds if not thousands on reloading gear and then plops it all down on used furniture to work on it?
Even with today's ridiculous lumber costs, you can build a very nice bench for $400. Not handy? Make a friend.

I add a voice for the DIY. I took 2 heavy pieces of particle board and glued them together. Then I ran a couple of bolts them to really sandwich them and putting some 2x4 on the bottom. Ran 4x4 down as the legs. It has served well for 5+ years and even got carried in and out of a 4th floor apartment because I didn't want to part with it.

I add a voice for the DIY. I took 2 heavy pieces of particle board and glued them together. Then I ran a couple of bolts them to really sandwich them and putting some 2x4 on the bottom. Ran 4x4 down as the legs. It has served well for 5+ years and even got carried in and out of a 4th floor apartment because I didn't want to part with it.
Urethane the heck out of the flats and extra on the edges, then wax, for moisture resistance. Makes a stout bench.

Reactions: NHPiper
Buy a wooden top tool chest from harbor freight less than 400. Or was

I got my current bench from Sam's, think it was like ~$200: https://www.samsclub.com/p/height-adj-workbench-ultrahd/prod22651720?xid=plp_product_2

It's a fairly solid bench (and was cheaper than I could build one for), added a couple L-brackets to anchor it to a couple studs and GTG.

View attachment 7647405
I bought a similar bench from Sams & do all of my reloading on it. I couldn’t be happier. It’s sturdier than hell, looks good and I love the adjustable feet for leveling.

Attachments

• 906B0ED2-3CB0-4539-A9D6-9291F80B6B0C.png
    906B0ED2-3CB0-4539-A9D6-9291F80B6B0C.png
    796.3 KB · Views: 68
The wood top harbor freight husky toolbox clone looks nice for the price.

I was in there the other day and it caught my eye.

Reactions: Gator06
I've got 2 one is an old heavy duty wooden desk that the shop I worked for was throwing out, I have all my shotgun loaders mounted on it then I have one built from scrape lumber we scrounged up 45 years ago I have my rifle loaders mounted on it I did have to reinforce it with some 1/4" plate about 6" wide to bolt my rock chucker to while I was sizing some military brass, it's made out of real 2x4s and 4x4s saw mill lumber

A few years ago I bought a work bench made of wood from Wal-Mart. It was cheap but very sturdy. The top is particle board that's well made and I've never had a problem. The legs are foldable 2x4s press mounts very sturdy.

Lowes sells an 8'x2"x25" solid butcher block table. Level a 2x4x8 on your wall and throw some long screws in through to the studs. Lowes or home depot again for some 3/4 inch iron gas pipe. Get some flanges and screw in the bottom of where you want your legs andmeasure and cut the pipe to the length needed. Use the threads on the pipe (lowes and home depot will cut and thread your pipe for free) and secure to the floor using these thingys from lowes if building in your garage with a graded floor, otherwise if using a flat floor use more flanges. Glue, screw, or redhead fastener those babies to the floor and your in business. The steeltek fittings are loose enough that you dont have to worry about the feet fittings not being level with the ground. That sucker aint goin' nowhere! Right around 350-400 if you already have the tools. A good project that if done right will take a little time, but the results were great! You could make it cheaper if you went smaller, but I wanted to add a vice to it so I beef'd it up a bit on the specs and welded the leg under the vise to the fitting on the floor.

A number of years ago, I picked up a HUSKY workbench with shelves underneath, two sliding drawers, a pegboard back above the table top and a shelf top from Home Depot for $199. The work table does have a sheet metal covering over a wood table top core but it has been ideal for an RCBS reloading shop.

I have three of the RCBS tool mounts, one at each corner and one mounted at the middle of the front edge. I have an RCBS RC Supreme Press at one corner, an RCBS Turret Press at the other, and alternate between RCBS Case Trimmer, powder measures, and other RCBS tools on the middle. The Tool mounts come with precut screw and bolt holes with screws and bolts to fit all the tools one might mount on a workbench so a total of 12 holes are needed for the 3 tool mounts. The bench is super-sturdy and the tool mounts are solid and unlovable unless I want to remove them.

I have mounted a multiple surge protector on the bench side so I have all necessary power for powered tools. With a couple of 2x4s laid against the pegboard back I can put my Dremel workstation on the table top, wedged solidly between the 2x4s and the back of the middle tool mount and successfully done minor gunsmithing on the bench.

I unhesitatingly recommend this solution. Check HomeDepot.com.

Cheers,

Harry

The National Reloading Manufacturers Association had a design that they published plans for back in the day. I built the bench modified to my dimensions about 20 years ago and it is rock solid. Rather than a laminated plywood top, I used a section of old bowling alley floor (2 5/8" thick solid maple). A few files attached.

Attachments

• NRMA_Plan.jpg
    NRMA_Plan.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 70
  • BenchDetail.png
    BenchDetail.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 54
  • NRMA_ReloadingBench.jpg
    NRMA_ReloadingBench.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: Gunnn
The National Reloading Manufacturers Association had a design that they published plans for back in the day. I built the bench modified to my dimensions about 20 years ago and it is rock solid. Rather than a laminated plywood top, I used a section of old bowling alley floor (2 5/8" thick solid maple). A few files attached.
I built this bench years ago and it’s stood up to all reloading activities. It bolts together so you can tear it down and move it with no problem. Much better solution than trying to re-enforce a cheap bench.

View attachment 7647405
I bought the same one, birch butcher block top and cant be made for less.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/height-a...wl6=&wl7=&wl9=&wl10=1247713&wl11=online&wl12={productid}&wl13=&wl15=121130867660&wl16=&wl17=&wl18=&wl19=&wl20=EAIaIQobChMI09bdu8mf8QIVDz6tBh2YrwD1EAQYASABEgLShfD_BwE&wl23=456403440904&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI09bdu8mf8QIVDz6tBh2YrwD1EAQYASABEgLShfD_BwE