• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

41 XC vs 416 cheytac

Is there a reason you choosing between those 2?
What about a Hellfire or Vestal?

if I had to choose between those 2 I'd go for the Cheytac. Could do a 416 Snipetac.

Brass availability is an issue, would like to stay with Peterson brass
Fair point. I'd go 416 Stroker/Snipetac then to get the little extra boiler room.
That being said I don't know if either is a real world advantage over the 375 CT. Personally I'd prob stick with 375 but that's totally up to you.

Also alternatively if you wanted to go with the non-improved version I'd still do Cheytac,

Last edited:

1684016367580.png

1684016397509.png

Reactions: tna9001
I would just go with the 458 or 416 Vestal in that order, plan on running Large Rifle magnum primers and around 200 grains of H50 or RL50 if using the 416 Vestal and 550 gr bullets, Cheytac action and the Brass is easy to get from Robert Vestal and the Reamers from Manson.

JH

I wish I had the money to shoot $8-10 rounds. Maybe one day I'll get one of those big bores .375 cheytac is a fine choice,

I would give the 416 Snipetac a try. It offers more case capacity than the parent case without being freakishly long and creating turbulence in the throat hurting accuracy and barrel life.
Your buying custom dies with any of those cartridges so that cost is a wash

I would give the 416 Snipetac a try. It offers more case capacity than the parent case without being freakishly long and creating turbulence in the throat hurting accuracy and barrel life.
Your buying custom dies with any of those cartridges so that cost is a wash
41XC and 416 Vestal dies should be available so at least there isn't a wait, I believe they both have reamers ready also. I'd venture you'd find some second hand reamer and dies for 416 Stroker.

Had a friend try the 41XC but could never get the FPS he wanted. The Vestal round with hold more powder and be fast.
What velocity was he looking for? I'm getting 2870fps with 127gr of H1000 pushing 505gr WF. Oh and 41XC brass is cheap compared to the rounds listed above.

What velocity was he looking for? I'm getting 2870fps with 127gr of H1000 pushing 505gr WF. Oh and 41XC brass is cheap compared to the rounds listed above.
What barrel length are you getting that velocity from? And are you getting any sort of pressure signs?

Let’s not forget the barrel life you will have compared to anything faster. I’d argue you shouldn’t be worried about buying barrels if you are shooting stuff like this, but it takes a while to get a barrel these days… so I take it into consideration

What barrel length are you getting that velocity from? And are you getting any sort of pressure signs?
33-inch barrel. Zero pressure signs in Bartlein ModBB 1.25" straight taper. Chase Stroud did the load development for me.

Let’s not forget the barrel life you will have compared to anything faster. I’d argue you shouldn’t be worried about buying barrels if you are shooting stuff like this, but it takes a while to get a barrel these days… so I take it into consideration
I always laugh when folks say barrels are cheap and ammo is so much mor expensive. The 41XC ModBB blank was $800 and the smithing, brake timing, etc and Cerakote were another $1000 so $1800. I prefer it not to be shot out in a 1200 rounds.

I always laugh when folks say barrels are cheap and ammo is so much mor expensive. The 41XC ModBB blank was $800 and the smithing, brake timing, etc and Cerakote were another $1000 so $1800. I prefer it not to be shot out in a 1200 rounds.
41XC you are looking around $4 a round if it lasts 1200 rounds that's $4800. Not that barrels are super cheap but they are considerably cheaper than the ammo that goes through them.

41XC you are looking around $4 a round if it lasts 1200 rounds that's $4800. Not that barrels are super cheap but they are considerably cheaper than the ammo that goes through them.
The cost of the barrel in that case is 38% of the ammo. I wouldn't consider that considerably cheaper.

I would get on the band wagon and stay in the game, chamber a 40” 9 twist barrel in the 416 Vestal and stuff it with 20N29 and 550 grain pills and be happy at 3100 +

osoh

What are the deciding factors for you picking the 416 over the 458?
Mainly because the post was about 416 cal choices, other then that
the old school 375 Cheytac holds its own
the 416s are going to give you a better report down range as far as seeing bullet splash and hitting steel with a little more authority
the 458s, just a big brother to the 416 you take all the points that the 416 shines on and add a little.

I run the 416 Warner,, I’m pushing the 550s at a easy on the brass 3060 fps

Osoh
JH

Mainly because the post was about 416 cal choices, other then that
the old school 375 Cheytac holds its own
the 416s are going to give you a better report down range as far as seeing bullet splash and hitting steel with a little more authority
the 458s, just a big brother to the 416 you take all the points that the 416 shines on and add a little.

I run the 416 Warner,, I’m pushing the 550s at a easy on the brass 3060 fps

Osoh
JH
What's that Vestal brass running you?

Is that what all of his cartridges run? How about the 416/458 vestal. How would the vestal cartridge compared to the hellfire cartridge line?
The $9.00 a pop was what my shooting partner paid for his 416 Vestal brass, how they compare to the Hellfire‘s I cannot pick them apart due to not having first hand experience with them versus hearsay or assuming. As stated above I have been running the 416 Warner for many years now and no complaints

osoh
JH.

Correct and it holds about 23 grains more powder then the 416 Barrett.
Did I read that on Warner's website correctly? $14 for one piece of brass? Yikes! Think I paid $2.70 each for 41XC. Not discounting the fact that 200 fps and 50 grains more is significant but.... damn!