• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.416 Barrett M99 accuracy?

treynor

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2011
Apologies in advance if there's a thread covering this topic; the obvious choices didn't find one.

I'm curious what data is available about the accuracy of the bolt-action .416 Barrett? I read some discouraging stories about the accuracy of the .50 (2 MOA!!?) but nothing about the .416. I know it would drive me batty to get one of these big guys and not be able to hit a target reliably at 500 yards...

And since the question is going to come up - no, I have absolutely no practical use for this gun. I am not planning to defend my home against zombies, I'm not going to carry it up into the woods and live off the land, and I'm not expecting Russian APCs to roll down my driveway. It'll make holes in paper, and knock over (or punch through) steel targets. I've just always wanted one.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Re: .416 Barrett M99 accuracy?

While I have no experience with the Barrett 99 I have shot a couple different .416's, LAR Grizzly's (thank you again Zach aka MilDotz) and a BOHICA. Both guns were very accurate. If you are seriously in the market for a .416 I would send MilDotz a PM or at least check out their website http://www.largrizzly.com. I liked the bullpup design, it has something like a 36" bbl in a 42" package. Those numbers are off the top of my head so don't hold them to it.

Shot the Barrett .416, found it to be just slightly more accurate than the .50 BMG(2 MOA).

I'm not an operator, just an avid shooter. It was a buddies gun and he had done a fair amount of load development in the .416 caliber with two other sticks. He is an exceptional shooter and he got the same results I could produce.

Hope that helps....

It does, thank you. It's disappointing that the gun isn't more accurate. For its intended purpose I suppose it doesn't need to be (1 vehicle >> 20 inches @ 1000 yards) but it does diminish the appeal for big bang target shooting.

Eh, I don't think you'll see much in the way of accuracy improvements on the M99 from caliber to caliber. Of the entire Barrett big bore line, the M99 is far and away the most accurate but outside of that product line is a different story.

Typical accuracy of the model 99 with the new Hornady 450gr .416 ammo is sub MOA.

> Typical accuracy of the model 99 with the new Hornady 450gr .416 ammo is sub MOA

That would be great news - what's the source of the info? I don't wish to seem skeptical, but it's different from prior info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angry_johnny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a .338 LM will go as far as you want (maybe more) far better accuracy! </div></div>

Indeed. I've got a AI AWSM .338
grin.gif

I've just always been interested in a .50. No rational reason for it, other than "I expect a huge grin every time I pull the trigger". The .416 is the closest thing we CA residents can get AFAIK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benjamin Sloss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've just always been interested in a .50. No rational reason for it, other than "I expect a huge grin every time I pull the trigger". The .416 is the closest thing we CA residents can get AFAIK. </div></div>

.50 DTC is Komnifornia legal but I'd rather have the .416, .408 or .375 over any .50 any day.

Showing a 100 yard group for a 416 doesnt mean anything. Show a good 500 or thousand yard group then you prove the rifle can shoot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greenron15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Showing a 100 yard group for a 416 doesnt mean anything. Show a good 500 or thousand yard group then you prove the rifle can shoot </div></div>
LOL...hey you want a 2K yard group??? i'm sure i could work that out for ya, you want pics or HD video??? cause thats as close to 2K you'll get in commiefornia. OH and where @ in the OPs post did it ask for m99 accuracy from 500-1K??? i "simply" showed that the m99 is sub MOA capable. (period)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greenron15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Showing a 100 yard group for a 416 doesnt mean anything. Show a good 500 or thousand yard group then you prove the rifle can shoot </div></div>

If skinney says the rifle shoots, you better believe him....he knows.

Woopie my 22lr will do under 1 moa at 100 yards. In the army there zeroed a 800 yards your 1 moa at 100 means nothing when this rifle is cabalbe of a whole lot more

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greenron15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Woopie my 22lr will do under 1 moa at 100 yards. In the army there zeroed a 800 yards your 1 moa at 100 means nothing when this rifle is cabalbe of a whole lot more </div></div>

I've seen the craters it left in our plate at 1150 yds. 3 shots inside of about 5". I don't think skinney has pictures of the actual splash marks that day...but I know if he went out to take a picture now you would still be able to tell which were made by the .416.

MOA is MOA regardless of distance and that's why it's used. The thread regarding sub 1 MOA at 100 and 4+ MOA at 300 is a perfect example.
If the gun shoots sub 1 at 100, and doesn't at longer distance..then it's the shooter, not the tool.
My rifle is a .4 MOA rifle at 400 meters, If I can't make it shoot .4 MOA at 800m then it's my fault, not the rifle or calibers fault.

Reactions: AusSniper

Yah, I didn't understand the comment about accuracy @ 100 vs @ 500 either. Unless the bullet is aerodynamically unstable (e.g. it's tumbling) it will follow a predictable arc once it leaves the barrel - the forces acting on it are environmental, not related to the weapon or shooter.

So anyway - my thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread. I ordered my .416 M99 this afternoon
grin.gif

Now, what scope to pair it with...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benjamin Sloss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Now, what scope to pair it with... </div></div>

S&B 5-25x56 with the P4F or the 12-50x56 with the P4F

The reason I suggest the P4F is that I'm assuming you want to shoot this long rang as in 1000+ maybe out to 2000, in that case you may often be at the top end of the magnification range, and at long distance the thicker reticles will tend to block the target at high magnification / long distances. (At 5x you'll have a hard time seeing the reticle, but for a long distance rig, my guess is you would rarely be under 15x)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benjamin Sloss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Now, what scope to pair it with... </div></div>

S&B 5-25x56 with the P4F or the 12-50x56 with the P4F

The reason I suggest the P4F is that I'm assuming you want to shoot this long rang as in 1000+ maybe out to 2000
</div></div>

Yah, my default was the same 5-25 P4F I have on my AI. Pricey, but a great scope.

That just leaves the most important element: more training and more range time. With all this fancy hardware, poor target performance can only be traced to one culprit
smile.gif

In my experience, most of the accuracy slights against the .50 BMG as a cartridge are simply because the majority of shooters are blasting crappy surplus or commercial FMJ through rifles that they've never learned how to shoot.

Given a decent shooter who's handloading with match projectiles, it's an entirely different story. And "cheap .416 surplus ammo" is an existential impossibility, so it seems safe to suspect you'll see reports of better accuracy from them compared to the .50 BMG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: negotiator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my Barrett .416
Here is 100 Yds
IMG_4121.jpg
</div></div>
hey didn't you know a 100 yard group don't mean nothin... especially with the .416!!! LOL...

LOL. I promise to get a sample group the next time I can make it out to the 500-meter range.

Yeah those .50 are not accurate for shit.
Look at this crappy 1,000 yard 5 shot group. I would be embarrassed to show someone this.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...032#Post1229032

rasmussen04op.jpg

Heck using fireform loads and pulled mil surplus the best I can get that includes the cold bore shot at around 190 yards from a chunk of wood on top of saw horses is this crappy group.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...793#Post1162793
DSC07528.jpg

Yeah those .50's sure suck alright.

Reactions: 232593
I'm attempting load development with my Barrett M99 and feel I'm running around in circles... While going through the process, the inconsistencies in the extreme spreads has been enough to drive a man to drink. We're all aware firing a sub MOA group at 100 yards is cool, but at a 1000 or 2000 yards it's a completely different story if your ES's and SD's are off way off...

I'm using the Labradar in my load development. I also bought a few hundred RUAG cases from Barrett and 500 monolithic 415 grain bullets from Randy at ThunderAmmo along with 80 pounds of Hodgdon US 869 powder... The brass so far has never been fired, which I've questioned might be contributing to the inconsistencies. I've also read where the powder (US869) I'm using is extremely temperature sensitive, which could be throwing things off.

I went out on a limb and committed to one of Warner Tool's custom dies, which was built specifically for this M99 and ran all the brass I've used through it, not that it made any difference because it's never been fired therefore hasn't been fire-formed to the chamber yet. Neck tension could possibley be an issue insofar as I discovered ThunderAmmo's bullets are 8/10's undersize (.4152) and the Sinclaire expander mandrel I'm using measures .415, which provides me less than .001 neck tension...

Groups at 100 yards? I've already produced .5 MOA, but that means nothing at 100 yards if the extreme spreads are 30+ fps off... I've also got a few hundred 450 grain .416 bullets that were originally sold by MidwayUSA, which I believe were manufactured by Hornady in the earlier years. I found those are surpringly close in weights for mass produced bullets. However, I just ordered 200 of the Cutting Edge 446 grain MTAC bullets, which should be getting here in the next couple of weeks... I also read Alliances RL50 is a more preferred powder for the .416 Barrett as well... Any advice or suggestions would be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

I'm attempting load development with my Barrett M99 and feel I'm running around in circles... While going through the process, the inconsistencies in the extreme spreads has been enough to drive a man to drink. We're all aware firing a sub MOA group at 100 yards is cool, but at a 1000 or 2000 yards it's a completely different story if your ES's and SD's are off way off...

I'm using the Labradar in my load development. I also bought a few hundred RUAG cases from Barrett and 500 monolithic 415 grain bullets from Randy at ThunderAmmo along with 80 pounds of Hodgdon US 869 powder... The brass so far has never been fired, which I've questioned might be contributing to the inconsistencies. I've also read where the powder (US869) I'm using is extremely temperature sensitive, which could be throwing things off.

I went out on a limb and committed to one of Warner Tool's custom dies, which was built specifically for this M99 and ran all the brass I've used through it, not that it made any difference because it's never been fired therefore hasn't been fire-formed to the chamber yet. Neck tension could possibley be an issue insofar as I discovered ThunderAmmo's bullets are 8/10's undersize (.4152) and the Sinclaire expander mandrel I'm using measures .415, which provides me less than .001 neck tension...

Groups at 100 yards? I've already produced .5 MOA, but that means nothing at 100 yards if the extreme spreads are 30+ fps off... I've also got a few hundred 450 grain .416 bullets that were originally sold by MidwayUSA, which I believe were manufactured by Hornady in the earlier years. I found those are surpringly close in weights for mass produced bullets. However, I just ordered 200 of the Cutting Edge 446 grain MTAC bullets, which should be getting here in the next couple of weeks... I also read Alliances RL50 is a more preferred powder for the .416 Barrett as well... Any advice or suggestions would be deeply appreciated. Thank you.
How did you find a 9 year old post?

Reactions: devildawg2531
I take 50 bmg long rang SD 60+ . Vihtavuori and RL50 best bet lower SD Brass-neck turning, annealing, weight sorting bullets, water volume brass maybe heat up rounds before shooting

I picked up a 99 in 416 Barrett a year or so ago.... Would love to get it out on the range, sadly no ammo. :(

Are people just necking down 50 BMG?

I picked up a 99 in 416 Barrett a year or so ago.... Would love to get it out on the range, sadly no ammo. :(

Are people just necking down 50 BMG?
Barrett has 416 brass in stock. It's not worth converting 50 brass unless you already have a lot of it and don't mind a lot of extra work.