• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 4200 parralax problem?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I went to the range today with my SPS .308. It is in a B&C stock and otherwise stock.
I noticed that some of my groups were on the large side but others were damn near all in the same hole. The groups tended to have some in one area and other in another small area.
I started looking when I mounted the rifle and noticed that if I moved my head slightly forward or back the crosshairs were either on one group or the other. I was shooting off sandbags so this was easy to check.
I looked at the parralax adjustment on my scope. It's a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 Mildot. The parralax was not quite exactly on 100 yards- the distance I was shooting today.
When I turned it to 100 yards the target was out of focus.

Do I just not have the scope adjusted correctly?

Jim

Re: 4200 parralax problem?

As I understand it, those markings are only correct if the occular focus is in the neutral position. If you move the occular to correct for less-than-perfect eyes it throws off the marked points in the objective adjustment.

This is why most people don't use those marks for anything but a coarse adjustment.

So I just turn it until the target is in focus? I turn the ocular ring until the crosshairs are in focus- right?

If so I really need to work on my cheek weld. The distance I moved and noticed a different poa was small- maybe less than an inch.
What I was trying to do is get a full image in the scope. When it was close but not exactly right it tended to be high-right. When I moved a little closer to the scope it lowered to the left. That seemed to be more correct.

Jim

Focus the occular by looking through it while staring to infinity....the sky.
This should not be changed for different conditions/distance.

To adjust the objective, while the rifle is held still, movie your head up and down and left and right while looking through the scope at a target in the distance. If the cross-hairs seem to jump around to different points on the target, adjust the objective until this effect goes away.

The objective is not meant to be a focus adjustment, but it can have some affect on focus.

I will try that. I did notice that when the target was in focus the parralax adjustment was near 100 yards, but when I put it on 100 the target was very out of focus.

Jim