• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

4320& 4350, for 308??????

JoshcBoucher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Northern Delaware.
My latest trip to my LGS resulted in a negative for 4064, 4895, Varget, and Rl-15. They DID have 8#s of 4320 & 4350, all over the floor, and shelves. I have never used it, or seen it in the "loads" threads, for 308. Am I missing out on a good "alternate" ???? I've got 3000 empties waiting for powder.

Last edited:
Well this is what other Hider's are using. I've never tried either of the powders mentionedin the 308 sticking with the usual powders(Varget, RL15, 3031 IIRC). Get a pound or two and give em a try-or check the loading manuals and see if they're recommended..

.308 Winchester Loads - Google Search

Thanks, DIBBS.. I did a web search and came up with some Bench guys turning to 4320, with good results, because of the lack of the "newer, or other, usual" powders. My Hornady manual only mentions 4320 twice, for the 308. The burn rate chart kinda puts it in the ballpark, but.... by the time I do some load tests...... it will most likely be gone.

I ended up buying a 8# keg of IMR4320 in a package deal a while ago. I started shooting it in my 308 bolt gun using 155's. 45.5 is considered a light load and it shoots exactly on point for me out to 600 yards. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the keg and never had a problem with it. I believe it would work even better with heavier bullets, up to 190's.

nothing wrong with the stuff.

4320 works great in the 308. It was once used to load Match ammo. It has short grains and meter very well. It has about the burn speed of Varget.

I use it with 155's @ 46.0 grains and it is very accurate. IMR 4320 is often over looked by new reloaders as it is not talked about much these days.

4320 is starting to get into the slower powder speed for gas guns, but it can be used.

Thanks, Guys. After seeing 8#s of 4320, at my LGS, and none of my usuals ( 4064,varget, Rl-15, etc.) for months, I was looking for alternatives. Searched the net, after my initial post, and found an article about 4320 being OK. 4350 seems a little too slow to try in 308. I was focusing more on 7828 and H1000 for my 300 Win mag, but I'm thinking of grabbing the 4350, for it . An 8# should last a while, for me.

Last edited: