• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 45 acp practice loads

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
looking to see if anyone has a recommendation for 185gr (fmj much preferred) as a practice round in my xds. looking to duplicate the recoil impulse of the 185gr standard vel loads that i have for defense loads. of course,no 45 acp is around and none of it is or will be reasonably priced when it reappears. that's just our world now. thanks.

Re: 45 acp practice loads

4.5 WST is what I use for match loads using 200gr wadcutters, my book has 185 at almost the same min and max as 200gr

I used to run ~5.5gr Titegroup with Montana Gold 185JHP in my Glock 30 for ~950-1000fps.

guess my follow up post didn't post. appreciate the input,but,i meant factory loads. don't handload and not planning to start. thanks for the replies,however.

i asked an unclear specific question which i rephrased in followup to clarify. i don't care if you are a member of somebody's 20. you probably ought to shut your pie hole and mind your own business. if wanted to know if i should reload,i could ask that or figure it out for myself. this IS a frequent problem on this board-peckerheads who spend too much time touching themselves making inane off topic replies due their inflated opinion of their opinions.

To phrase what Super Bee is saying a little differently, if you shoot a significant amount of 45 ACP, the payback period is very quick on a progressive press. A cheap 45acp load is $.40 a round. If you have been saving 45 brass or pick it up at the range, you can reload for $.12 - $.15 a round with Lead Semi-Wad Cutters. You have paid for your press in 4,000 rounds. If I am shooting a lot of pistol, that is about 2 or 3 months for me. More if I am shooting more rifle in a period.

As for practice rounds from the factory... as you already know, there is not much around. I like American Eagle FMJ 230 gr. You are right in that they will have more recoil than your 185 grainers, but most of the cheap bulk ammo (like American Eagle and Federal UMC) uses the 230 gr hard ball bullets. If you want to shoot a practice round that mimics your carry ammo, I think it would be easier to change your carry ammo than it would be to change your practice ammo, that you will shoot in a far greater volume. You will end up spending far more on practice ammo if you practice to any reasonable degree and you wouldn't be asking if you didn't practice to a reasonable degree.

2 questions...hopefully not hijacking this thread.

1. I cant seem to find what WST stands for.
2. Been saving my 45 brass and plan on reloading when I get the funds for a press. What are the differences in shooting a non jacketed round in terms of cleaning, wear, etc? I have been buying 230 jacketed reloads at about 45 cents/ round and wonder if there is any hidden impact by moving away from jacketed rounds.

Thanks

1. Not sure, but I think it is for Winchester Smokeless Target powder. It is a Winchester powder at any rate.

2. Non-jacketed rounds will be milder on the barrel, but sooner or later, you will get leading. The faster you push it, the more leading you will get. 45ACP moves pretty slow, so leading isn't a real issue. It is more of an issue for polygonally rifled barrels. I have an HK 45c and it's polygonal rifling leads like an SOB after a few hundred rounds. My 1911 leads very slowly and as long as I clean the barrel regularly, the lead doesn't build up.

You can reduce buildup by using lead of the appropriate hardness for the speed you are pushing.

WST stands for Winchester Super Target. I use 4.6gr WST with a 185gr. Nosler jhp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike f</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i asked an unclear specific question which i rephrased in followup to clarify. i don't care if you are a member of somebody's 20. you probably ought to shut your pie hole and mind your own business. if wanted to know if i should reload,i could ask that or figure it out for myself. this IS a frequent problem on this board-peckerheads who spend too much time touching themselves making inane off topic replies due their inflated opinion of their opinions. </div></div>

How to Win Friends and Influence People

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike f</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i asked an unclear specific question which i rephrased in followup to clarify. i don't care if you are a member of somebody's 20. you probably ought to shut your pie hole and mind your own business. if wanted to know if i should reload,i could ask that or figure it out for myself. this IS a frequent problem on this board-peckerheads who spend too much time touching themselves making inane off topic replies due their inflated opinion of their opinions. </div></div>

How to Win Friends and Influence People </div></div>

The OP has a point.

It is undoubtedly a characteristic of the 'hide to get smart-assed answers to reasonable questions.