• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5 favorite musicians or musical groups

Ghillie Zen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2009
The Black Lodge
Alright gents, I've only been a contributing member for a short while, but have enjoyed the hide as an observer for much longer. Obviously, we all share an interest in precision shooting and related craft, but outside of that, some of us couldn't be more different.

I'm curious to see just how eclectic of a group we really are. So, I'd like to know your <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">5 favorite musicians or musical groups</span></span>.

This is NOT about "who are the top 5 bands of all time". That's a ridiculous question and one that will never truly be answered! I'm just asking for the 5 musicians that you tend to listen to and enjoy the most.

Also, please refrain from bashing other members for their contributions to this thread. If your favorites include Yanni or the frickin' Dixie Chicks, so be it! Your manhood shall remain intact.

Ok, here's mine (in no particular order)
* Miles Davis
* Portishead
* Smashing Pumpkins
* DJ Shadow
* Rage against the Machine

Re: 5 favorite musicians or musical groups

Allman Brothers Band
John Lee Hooker
Tennessee Ernie Ford
Johnny Cash
Zac Brown Band

lol Yanni
smile.gif

I'm going to have to think about this one for a bit and come back around.

I listen to alot of music so pinning 5 favorites down is really a challenge.

My 5 favorites probably change any given week depending on the mood I'm in.

It goes from Classical to thrash metal
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teppo Ka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Allman Brothers Band
John Lee Hooker
Tennessee Ernie Ford
Johnny Cash
Zac Brown Band </div></div>

Man way to rack up the character points! I dig.

Social Distortion
The Reverend Horton Heat
Pearl Jam
Neil Young
The Pogues

Black Label Society/Zakk Wylde
Ben Harper
Asphyx
Hail of Bullets
Napalm Death

White Zombie- mostly because it was the best live show I have ever seen.

Motorhead- many reasons, but also an amaizing live show.

Godsmack- Sully is the most tallented musician on the planet, you have to see them live to understand that.

Robert Johnson- the most influencial artist of all time (on the rock/metal genre, as well as blues- from whence them came).

Slash- just because I think he is the best current player, I think he made GnR what they were.

Honerable mentions- whatever the metal de jour is.

Pink Floyd
Metallica
Tchaikovsky
Mussorgski
Lenyrd Skynerd

There are some honorable mentions though, such as WingNut Malmsteen, Van Halen, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, things like that.

smile.gif

I couldn't decide.

I figured I would just give you guys a taste of the most badass band I'm into right now.

I give you STEEL PANTHER
Fat Girl video \/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck8T45DJjH4

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oMA9-tx6Z6U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oMA9-tx6Z6U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PaCqZZ2u6iA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PaCqZZ2u6iA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And here is Steel Panther behind the music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcbLhI1dkrc

Man its hard for me to pick 5.

Guns&Roses/Velvet Revolver Im a Slash fan to check out Youtube with him and Zak Wylde doing Voodoo Chile, and Slash doing Hey Joe with Steve Winwood.

Eric Clapton..everything he has done with Cream and since then has been hard to ignore.

Motley Crue..cant help it I grew up in the 80s and wanted to be a rebel.

Lynyrd Skynyrd..because Ronnie Van Zandt is a legend and Gary Rossington and Allen Collins styles of playing complimented each each other in my opinion like few others.

Bad Company..because I really like Paul Rodgers and the sound they made.

Pink floyd
Jeff Beck
Gordon Lightfoot
Leo Kottke
Moody Blues

Thats a toughy, no particular order:

Pink Floyd (early stuff with Syd Barrett)

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-vH2Mx-JoY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-vH2Mx-JoY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Robert Earl Keen

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/glhrczA1ru4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/glhrczA1ru4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Willie Nelson

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JxzJAF1BxP4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JxzJAF1BxP4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Cowboy Mouth

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pDVm5dVZ9aM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pDVm5dVZ9aM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Slightly Stoopid

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1E7yxDMYvPI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1E7yxDMYvPI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I'm a huge Gordon Lightfoot fan.

Everything but rap. I like old country, old Rock-n-Roll, and old top40.

I refused to grow "Up" with the new music...there's no music, its' all digitally created - give me some fleetwood Mac banging away on the drums.

The closest thing to "real" music these days is Rusted Root - saw them in concert a few years ago - man....

Anybody that uses real drums, real guitars, and real keyboards has my respect.

Pink Floyd
AC\DC
Metallica
Led Zepplin
Van Halen

Max Stalling
Jerry Jeff Walker
Waylon Jennings/Merle/Willie/Johnny/George Jones
Jason Boland
Lynard Skynard

How can you leave out George Strait!

Here goes.
1. Johnny Cash
2. Stray Cats (Brian Setzer)or just about any Rockabilly
3. The Blasters
4. tie Little Charlie and the Nighcats/Rod Piazza and the
Mighty Flyers
5. AC/DC or "the Sex Pistols" either or...
I like a Little Country, a little Rockabilly, Blues,Punk,zeeydaco (sp) and some old metal
If It makes you snap your fingers and tap your toes I like it.
George of the Jungle

Hank
Waylon
Strait
Merle
Edmondson

My five favorite musicians are all guitarists. I've been playing for almost 30 years so it was pretty easy for me to pick.

1) EVH
2) Warren Demartini (RATT)
3) George Lynch (Dokken)
4) Hendrix
5) Joe Perry (Aerosmith)

Cream
Grand Funk Railroad
George Strait
Ted Neugent
Hank Jr.

Hows that for diversity

Nice list for sure.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My five favorite musicians are all guitarists. I've been playing for almost 30 years so it was pretty easy for me to pick.

1) EVH
3) George Lynch (Dokken)
4) Hendrix
5) Joe Perry (Aerosmith) </div></div>

Chris Ledoux
George Strait
Johnny Cash
Merle Haggard
Joe Nichols

Judas Priest
Alice in Chains
Ozzy Osbourne
Johnny Cash
Willie Nelson

Right up there with them are: Avenged Sevenfold, Black Label Society, Bullet for my Valentine, Flogging Molly, Hank Williams, Hank Williams Jr., Linkin Park, Megadeth, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Pantera, Tool.

If I had to pick just five bands to listen to for the rest of my life.

Pearl Jam
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
U2

Led Zeppelin
Motley Crue
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Van Halen with Dave
Y&T

Nice list but Jimmy Page has to be on there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smallmouth Crazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice list for sure.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My five favorite musicians are all guitarists. I've been playing for almost 30 years so it was pretty easy for me to pick.

1) EVH
3) George Lynch (Dokken)
4) Hendrix
5) Joe Perry (Aerosmith) </div></div> </div></div>

Since I have a split personality I have to give two top five lists.

Rock / Metal

Metallica
Ted Nugent
Pink Floyd
Godsmack
Iron Maiden

Country

Waylon Jennings
Johnny Cash
Hank Williams Sr.
George Jones
Dwight Yoakam

Jeez, a few are easy:

Social Distortion, all the way from the garage days
Bad Religion, all the way from the garage days

Dropkick Murphys
Flogging Molly

Godsmack(Good times, Bad Times) is currently sitting in the CD player in the car, as is Fields of the Nephilim(Dawnrazor), Black Label Society(1916), Ozzie(Black Rain)

iPod:
bottom three:
U2, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Specimen

Collections contain:
Bach to Tchaikofsky, A little old school stuff from Two Live Crew, and a few other one hit wonders from back then, a wee bit of techno/trance/house, Punk bands from the 70's and up, Celt Rock like Neck, Shite n Onions, The Real MacKenzies, and tons of metal from Motorhead to current stuff, classic neo punk/new wave club stuff, some old studio/garage stuff(band bootleg) from Social D, Bad Religion, Decry, Agnostic Front, a bit of the DK's, Ministry from the beggining when they were dark and clubby(Effigy, Every Day is Halloween), and if I had to say what the fastest stuff is, it's a dead heat between DRI, Gang Green, and Dragonforce. The rarest would be three collections from the 'Rebel Singers' about things like Long Kesh, John Connolly, and the Black an Tans and such.

A very wide interest in music, instruments, singing in a few bands, and just plain enjoying music has been a bit of a addiction since the early 80's. Nothin like old punk on scratchy vinyl as Mike Ness belts out 'Indulgence' as John Maurer kicks a bass riff that we came up with over some brews way way back in the day in a small club in Fullerton.

PS February 12 2009, Flogging Molly, Memphis, TN. Hoping to be home in time for Thanksgiving!

1. Willie Nelson
2. Van Morrison
3. Stevie Ray Vaughn
4. Johnny Cash
5. Hank jr

Willie
David Allen Coe
White/Rob Zombie
Charlie Robison
Megadeth

here goes my crazy list.

1. Guns n Roses
2. Ozzy
3. George Strait
4. David Allen Coe
5. The Cure

There are too many to list.

For basement recordings: Cowboy Junkies, Trinity Session (recorded in the basement of a Church in Toronto, circa 1987).

Prolific garage band: The Mountain Goats.

New young talent: Samantha Crain and the Midnight Shivers.

For all-around (35+ year) contribution to quality rock/folk music:
Bruce Cockburn (an IPSC shooter, BTW).

Folk/Country: The BeGood Tanyas and The Wailin' Jennys.

Bob Dylan
Beatles
Grateful Dead
Joan Baez
JS Bach

Lets not forgret some of the lesser Icons

Root Boy Slim
Tiny Tim

kenny chesney
george strait
clint black
montgomery gentry
eric church

honorable mention- bo burnham

90's country kicks ass

David Gilmour
Steve Howe
Neal Schon
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani

5 favorites
X
The Bruisers
Clash
Social Distortion
Mighty Mighty Bosstones

Pantera
Kreator
Annihilator
Black Label Society (Zakk Wylde in particular)
Rob Zombie

Been to the Neckbreakers Ball in Hamburg yesterday, Devildriver and Scar Symetry are great bands, too. I prefer the aforementioned...and Jazz
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ryan Fuckin Bingham

Dave Matthews Band

Brandon Rhyder

Cross Canadian Ragweed

And anyone else who likes rock it out and toke it up </div></div>

I believe thats Cross Country Canadian Ragweed,. I like the one "the Boys from Oklahoma"

In no particular order:

Alice in Chains
Five Finger Death Punch
Metallica
Lil Wayne
George Strait

I like a little bit of everything! My iPod playlists are so confusing...

It's hard to narrow it down to 5, but here they are.

Clutch
Mastodon
Pantera
As I Lay Dying
Haste The Day

Honorable mentions: God Forbid, 36 Crazyfists, Rammstein, and Primus

I have a broad spectrum in metal and hard rock, and I like some alternative stuff. I just don't venture much from those genres though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bob connors</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 5 favorites
X
The Bruisers
Clash
Social Distortion
Mighty Mighty Bosstones </div></div>

Bruisers are damn good shit, but if ya wana see Al Barr, ya got to go see Dropkick Murphy. The DK's original singer is now in a band called Street Dogs(Me an the boys had the el supremeo deal to do the street thing with CD's and all kinds of swag to get the name out, man it was fuckin rightious, all accesss forever!) Life is good when your ol lady has a nice rack, and the kids can sing each and every word to every song, man punk is still da shit!

Jack Johnson
Jimmy Buffett
Johnny Cash
Kenny Chesney
DMB

I wouldn't call them my favorites, but that's just a random selection. I listen to everything.

RUSH

ACDC

Ozzy

Sound Garden

Aerosmith

Alice in Chains

Nervana

Pearl Jam

STP

Niel Young

Metallica

Yes

Stoney Larue
robert Earl Keen
Ryan Bingham
Old Crow Medicine Show
Oddly, Frank Sinatra
Pat Green, back in the day
John Prine

Nice choices guys! Very diverse tastes as predicted. Inspired me to look up some music I haven't listened to in awhile and even got me to check out a couple groups I hadn't heard before.

Thanks for the contributions. Keep it goin........