• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

50 BMG Surplus Bullets

Early Cuyler

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
WB, GA
I have ~1k API and tracer bullets that were pulled from surplus ammo. How do you resize these quickly and cheaply? What all equipment do I need to buy? I have an RCBS Ammomaster press so I'd like the parts to fit it if possible.

Also, I do not intend for these to be sniping rounds. I have plenty of A-max's and Barnes brass bullets for that. These will be for family and friends to ooh and ahh over the loud boom.

Thanks for the help!

Re: 50 BMG Surplus Bullets

bullet sizer , i think ch4d is your only choice. If you set up your press to maximize its fulcrum point , its a breeze.

you might be able to get away without to much lube as well, but you must use some.

Some use Lee's .510 bullet resizing die actually made for sizing and lubing lead bullets. It's a standard 7/8-14 threads and the punch fits into a shellholder slot. Not sure about your press but the Lee die does work for your needs and is the cheapest alternative. You should use lube on the bullets, I would use case sizing lube. You won't need the Alox lube.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=155655

Mallard,
Yeah I've looked at that route and hopefully I won't have to resort to it. Its similar to the RCBS resizer and both RCBS and ch4d think very highly of their equipment. I'm not saying its bad stuff, I'm just saying I'm going to try the $30 route before I shell out the big bucks.

But if something goes wrong with this Lee resizer, ch4d will be the first person I call.

Thanks for the help! I put in an order for the Lee resizer from midwayusa.com. I know what I'll be doing next week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rg1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Some use Lee's .510 bullet resizing die actually made for sizing and lubing lead bullets. It's a standard 7/8-14 threads and the punch fits into a shellholder slot. Not sure about your press but the Lee die does work for your needs and is the cheapest alternative. You should use lube on the bullets, I would use case sizing lube. You won't need the Alox lube.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=155655 </div></div>

That is what I use to size mine, simple, inexpensive and fast.

The lee has done a few hundred 690 fmjs for me and about 200 API too.

No trouble and seems to do the job just fine.

Well the LEE came in yesterday and with the power out (thank you very much, storm) I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also use the LEE </div></div>

X2
I've got about 1,000 heads through mine so far and still going strong

Okay, I've been resizing my many many API (silver tip) bullets with the lee die set. Everything is going good. I'm lubing the bullets and die so they just slide right through until... a jam.

How do I get it out? When I Google it I can't find much beyond horror stories of APIs going off accidentally. Thanks for everyone's help.

I did the same thing...........Not enough lube. I put a small socket on the but side and hammered it out.I don't believe you could set it off if you tried. Just hammer it enough to move it through the die. Good Luck!

Gracias, Ropen. You saved me many headaches. I have since resized a few hundred bullets (work has been crazy), and the jams have been few and far between.

Now I am making sure to lube them up so they're slippier than a politician in a courtroom.