• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 500S&W bolt gun

will36

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2008
South Arkansas
Anyone tried this yet? Just playing around at my buddies and he had a few rounds laying around. Two of which were a 500sw and a 243wssm. They were pretty close so I put a few rounds in a 243wssm he had there they fit the magwell good and fed like they were made for it. The bolt face may need to be opened up a tad. Has anyone rebarreled a winchester in a 500sw round? I think it would make a sweet supressor canidate.

I know by looking around you guys like stretching out those shots.:) Well I have 89 acres in the river bottoms and here is the longest/clearest shot I have so you see why I would like a 500sw bolt gun
smile.gif
For all you spoters in here can you find my kid in the pic? blue jeans and white T shirt ? hint 40 yards away

Picture009-1.jpg

Re: 500S&W bolt gun

he's up and to the left of dead center.

I would love to see a 500 boltgun,do they make a lever-action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762SD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he's up and to the left of dead center.

I would love to see a 500 boltgun,do they make a lever-action? </div></div>

I dont know if they make a lever action 500. My gunsmith buddy said we may can use a TC barrel . I have my H&R to finish up and get linned out then Ill give this a go. Ak kits have almost dried up so Im moving onto other projects. good spoting he is almost center of pic. about 30 feet from the creek. You would be suprised at the # of people who could not find him.:)

Might just have to drop a call into JD Jones on this one. He is a huge 500S&W fan and just might be the guy who can do it. I don't think hes even been a Lever Guy but I know for certain he can do a Bolt.

I'm in the process of building a bolt action .45 ACP. I took an old Mauser and cut a nice little section out and had it re tig welded it back up and I'm getting ready to barrel it. Here are a few pictures. I'm trying to get as much done as possible, but its not much of a priority as of right now. By the way, its a Remington Short action bolt below it.

untitled-1.jpg

DSC02016.jpg

DSC02011-1.jpg

DSC02003-1.jpg

Thats a cool 45 apc. I seen the post and was thinking a rhineland arms conversion. looks like you are well on your way. I dont have anything good at all to say about Rhineland arms I was one of the guys who got ripped off buying one of there R-22 POS mp5 style 22 calibers.

You going to use a 1911 mag?

Look at the .510 EBG/SOCOM(whatever you want to call it). The designer posts here every now and again as Spooky I think.

Depending on the projectile and what you're using for brass (50 Alaskan with the rim turned off to .532 and a WSM extractor groove cut) it can feed in a WSSM action.

If you want a bit more capacity, and aren't concerned about the case OAL, lop off a WSM case at the shoulder and stuff a .510 projectile in it. Feeds pretty decent out of a WSM action depending on the projectile.

Here's a couple of pictures of my versions of both, the WSM has the BMG bullet seated, the SOCOM case in on the right.

IMG_1552-330x262.jpg

I saw a few Rhineland arms mauser conversions. I was not too impressed, plus I did not like the fact that there was a full size action that was just adapted, not made to shoot the .45 acp. I was thinking of using a Glock 31 magazine so its not sticking out the bottom of the stock. I have a semi-inletted stock waiting to get dropped in when the barrel gets installed.

I thought about getting an encore in 500 a little while back. then i talked to a couple of guys that shoot big bores, 458 Lott, 500NE, 600NE, they said the 500 in an encore was a beast to shoot. So im building a yugo mauser (intermediate length) in 450 marlin.

+1 for the 50 Beowulf. Very handy in AR 15 platform, also Carl at Accuracy Systems makes 450 Marlin AR 10, but I would love to see a lever action in 460.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireball168</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look at the .510 EBG/SOCOM(whatever you want to call it). The designer posts here every now and again as Spooky I think.

Depending on the projectile and what you're using for brass (50 Alaskan with the rim turned off to .532 and a WSM extractor groove cut) it can feed in a WSSM action.

If you want a bit more capacity, and aren't concerned about the case OAL, lop off a WSM case at the shoulder and stuff a .510 projectile in it. Feeds pretty decent out of a WSM action depending on the projectile.

Here's a couple of pictures of my versions of both, the WSM has the BMG bullet seated, the SOCOM case in on the right.

IMG_1552-330x262.jpg

</div></div>

looks interesting for sure. Im new in the reloading scene (as in days) I better get this subsonic 308 down first.
smile.gif
I have a 9mm can just waiting to be sent back and punched out to 50 caliber.
smile.gif
A 300+ grain 500sw thru a can would be tuff to beat.

a bit off topic but my first deer rifle was a marlin lever gun in .357 mag. great brush gun for southern PA. plenty good out to 75-100 meters and its dropped everything ive ever shot at with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want a 460 in a lever gun. </div></div>

i want an AR15 upper chambered in 460. thatd be one wicked rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in the process of building a bolt action .45 ACP. I took an old Mauser and cut a nice little section out and had it re tig welded it back up and I'm getting ready to barrel it. Here are a few pictures. I'm trying to get as much done as possible, but its not much of a priority as of right now. By the way, its a Remington Short action bolt below it.

untitled-1.jpg

DSC02016.jpg

DSC02011-1.jpg

DSC02003-1.jpg
</div></div>

Looks like a fun project. I made one similar a while back but I attached my old MAC-10 suppressor to the front end. I used 1911 mags to feed it. I really liked the Delisle carbine and tried loosely to replicate it with parts on hand. That gun was a joy to shoot.

Fun stuff!

The rim might gige you feeding probs. look at single stack magazines like mosin nagant. There are other 50cals out there.