• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

50yds parallax for nrl22?

rothgyr

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2018
    UTAH (UT)
    Anyone using a 50yds minimum parallax scope for nrl22/x-match/PRS rimfire?

If you're dialed down for the close up stuff, are you still hitting despite any blurriness? I saw a mk5 thread in the rimfire forum, but it seemed to be pretty specific to mk5s. Anyone running a tangent, mk5, xtr2, k624i, ATACR 5-25, xrs3, FDN 17x, taxi/m7xi on their rimfire guns? Is it holding you back?

I have reticle preferences and want to put one of my min 50yds scopes on my nrl22 gun if possible, based on those preferences, but if the juice isn't worth the squeeze, I'll just suck it up and something with closer focus.

Rimfire has been going out more so than in from 50 in people wanting to stretch the limits so I don't think it will hold you back much but one way to find out. You have the scope so put it on and go shoot some matches.

Reactions: Sblzrd65
    I'll give it a shot and see how it goes then. Thanks for the input, guys.

When I shot say a 25yd shot(s) on the KYL rack....I was blurry. But it actually made seeing the physical bullet pass by the 1/4" stick easier. Those shots were more of challenge because I had cold bore shift with my ammo/gun than dealing with the minor wind hold or the minor hold over or having the ability to adequately index on the target.

I noticed once on a Womfat produced YouTube video that the Canucks have their own series. CRRPS or something like that.

They shoot 75yds to 300yds on any stage as a rule of thumb. I thought about it.....that makes much more sense than shooting 50 and in. 50 and in takes little to no offset depending on some people's setups.

I’ve dealt with 50 yard parallax before, and I wouldn’t ever again. Parallax error has a larger effect on closer targets (as a percentage of target size). It’s even more important to have perfect parallax inside of 50 than beyond it. Shooting a 1/4” KYL stick at 25 yards with 50 yard setting is an easy miss unless you’re super consistent in your positioning behind the scope, which is especially challenging in NRL/PRS type competition with varying positions.

Reactions: Craig Brown
    Here is the max parallax error possible on a 56mm objective optic with the parallax set to 50yds. Starting with 10yds and each subsequent 10yds until you get to 50yds.

Keep in mind, max error means that you have your head all the way to one end of the optic and the crosshair center appears to be at the complete opposite end of the FoV.

You can decide if this helps your decision.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 9.10.05 AM.png

It doesn't matter. You dont need absolute clarity to hit the target. Go shoot some PRS22 stuff. NRL22 is for children.
    I do thank you. I'm not saying you're wrong about clarity, but did want the OP to be properly informed. You said they would rarely shoot less than 40 yards. If they shoot NRL22 that is incorrect.

I shoot the ZC420. There are two NRL courses of fire every month. One is 100 and under, and the other is to 400. My club has been shooting the short one, but I think they're going to start doing the long one. If they do I'm prolly going to reDOPE with SKLR.
    IMO, If you're shooting the <100yds you need at least a 25yd parallax. The smallest target on the KYL rack at 25 is not much bigger than the width of the bullet. In fact, it looks like an AR500 stick with no target on it. The first time I saw it I was WTF. Stages like that are why you really need an incredibly straight-shooting rifle. It's just too frustrating with a rifle that doesn't print tiny groups @50yds. After my first match I finally broke down and built a rifle that costs as much as a motorcycle. :(

Not that I'm not in love with it. I am. In fact, my wife is out of town and it's sitting next to my bed (I'm practically sleeping with it). But, every time I look at it I think about how much it cost and that it's a .22. The UP side is that if I ever get tired of NRL .22 I can always repurpose everything for a centerfire with just a barreled action...

Here is the max parallax error possible on a 56mm objective optic with the parallax set to 50yds. Starting with 10yds and each subsequent 10yds until you get to 50yds.

Keep in mind, max error means that you have your head all the way to one end of the optic and the crosshair center appears to be at the complete opposite end of the FoV.

You can decide if this helps your decision.

View attachment 8317403
    Where did you get this table? Do you have it for a 50mm objective? And are these all set for max error with parallax set to 50yds, or infinity?

Where did you get this table? Do you have it for a 50mm objective? And are these all set for max error with parallax set to 50yds, or infinity?

You can use this calculator. Set the "fixed" parallax to whatever distance you would set your optic parallax free and then compare. The example I used, it was set to 50yds. Since OP asked about using an optic with minimum 50yd parallax. So the distances in question would be inside of 50 with parallax set to 50.

Reactions: 6.5SH and rothgyr
    It doesn't matter. You dont need absolute clarity to hit the target. Go shoot some PRS22 stuff. NRL22 is for children.
    You do understand that clarity is just an indicator of parallax, but is actually a misalignment of the focal planes at a specific range that can throw off the reticle in relation to your eye and the target? Mirage makes the target appear where it isn't due to refraction. If your parallax is misaligned with the range your reticle can move based on the position of your eye rather than where the muzzle is pointed. Aligning your muzzle with the reticle is pretty important when shooting those half pinky nail targets even though how clear they appear isn't. QED

You should let the guys wining matches with Tangets know they need less than 50m parallax.

Is it nice to have? Sure
    Is it needed or do you need it to win? Absolutely not.

If there are other features you covet on an optic more, i would focus on them. If you already own a quality optic but it only goes down to 50, then you are fine using it.

Ive shot and won NRL 22 matches with Razors, TT & ZCO.

@NiteQwill You hear that? You aren't allowed to win any more 22 matches with a TT. You can send them to me for proper disposal and go back to slumming ZCO with the poors.

Reactions: rothgyr
    That site rocks, thanks for the link. My local clubs only do NRL22, so looking at the 2024 COFs, 40% had KYLs as the closest targets at 35 yds, and with a 50yds parallax, my max error there is .2 MRAD on the KYLs, and .1 on 40yds targets. I'll give the 3-17x a try and if I miss those KYLs too much, I'll put a scope with lower parallax on it.

Your fundamentals are probably excellent.

I've hit plenty of targets dialed in to the wrong parallax. I think we all have. That doesn't mean it isn't a lot harder to do, especially on a yoga stage where you're fighting to get squarely behind the gun. And it certainly matters how far off you're dialed as to how far off the reticle can be if you aren't squarely behind the gun.

That site rocks, thanks for the link. My local clubs only do NRL22, so looking at the 2024 COFs, 40% had KYLs as the closest targets at 35 yds, and with a 50yds parallax, my max error there is .2 MRAD on the KYLs, and .1 on 40yds targets. I'll give the 3-17x a try and if I miss those KYLs too much, I'll put a scope with lower parallax on it.

As long as you have clear edge to edge sight picture, you'll likely be fine. I guess "clear" isn't the right word, but you get what I mean. No scope shadow.

I don't mess with rimfire much anymore, but when I did I used ZCO, Theta, Kahles, and Vortex. Had no issues winning with them all. I personally prefer to have the target in focus, but it's not required. If I were to take rimfire seriously again, I'd make sure I had something with a 25yd or closer parallax. Though more for the focus than the actual parallax.

Just go out and try it and see. Set it up on your range and see how it goes before you shoot a match. If it doesn't work for you then there are a bunch of less expensive scopes you can buy just to shoot NRL under 100 yards. No need to spend thousands or even over a $1000.

OP, there's a technique that will let you use a 50-yd parallax at closer distances accurately. It's broken down towards the bottom of this post:

I've used this technique at NRL22 matches a lot lately, when there are big distance changes and I didn't want to spend the time moving the parallax back and forth. You can eliminate the parallax error fairly easily with a bit of practice; the only challenge remaining is just identifying the blurry target correctly, and there are plenty of ways to manage that.

In your shoes, I'd use your existing scope coupled with the technique described in the post without a qualm.