• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

5r or lrp?

The_Duke

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
macon,ms
Ok, I'm sure this has been discussed on here a lot, I did a search but didn't find anything of real value to me. Right now I going back and forth between a 5r(308) and savage lrp 260. Got a few pro's and con's (mine of course)

Savage-
Pros
Caliber
Price
Detachable mag (?)
Barrel length

Cons
Weight
Aftermarket

Remington
Pros
Proven
Aftermarket support

Cons
Barrel length
Caliber

Neither of the cons are deal breakers, I just prefer a 26" barrel and would like a 260. It will see SOME use as a hunting rifle, so a lighter weight would be nice, but again, not necessary (almost always in a stand/shooting house). It will mainly be used to punch paper from 750-1000 yds, occasionally to 1200, and for a few deer hunts to 750 yds max. Probably wont ever see much in the way of upgrades. Ammo will be handloads. I'm not lookin for anything fancy, just enough to get me started and keep up with some friends that are already into it. I know this is a newb post, but if anybody can help point me in the right direction it'd be appreciated

Re: 5r or lrp?

Lighter weight and 26" varmint weight tube are mutually exclusive.
You also say you probably won't ever make any upgrades to it, so why would aftermarket support matter?

You also say occasionally 1200 yards, that says .260 or 6.5CM.

Your intended purpose has already made the choice for you.
I have a 5R and love it. But for what you want, the only answer is the Savage LRP.

The ONLY real option for short action from Remington is the SPS Varmint in 7mm-08. You would need a new stock. Still won't shoot any better than the LRP, but it would get you there with a little more authority.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/77248/Remington+7OO+SPS+VAR+7MM08

I had a 5r .308 and my buddy has a .260 LRP. The price was better on the LRP and I like the caliber more. It's a bit more costly then .308 in ammo but it has better ballistics and less recoil. The Savage also has a better stock trigger but I'd upgrade either first thing. The stock on the LRP is also more ergonomic at least for me. I'm a Remington fan but between these too, I'd take the LRP.

Thanks. I'm jus gettin my feet wet, right now I can't see justifying anything aftermarket, later possibly, but as always funds are tight. Thanks for the link fdkay, if anybody has anything to add, positive or negative, its welcomed

my vote, as usual, is Savage...

I do wonder why you (and everyone else) thinks there's no aftermarket support?

CDI DBM
Accuarate Mag DBM (Savage OEM)
Stockade Gunstocks DBM
Stockade Gunstocks stocks
Manners stocks
McMillan stocks
HS Precision stocks (Savage OEM)
XLR chassis
McRees chassis
Rifle Basix triggers
Timney triggers
Sharp Shooter Supply triggers
ANY barrel blanks
a bunch of prefit barrels
every major scope base manufacturer

what more support do you want?

only major manufacturer that doesn't support Savage is AICS

Aftermarket is one thing I didn't look at enough. All my friends (shooting custom 700's) recommended remington for that reason, and all the used stuff I happen to come across is also 700 material. That's a long list though, thanks

I think Savage is probably putting out a better product these days. But, I too went with a Remington 700 on my last purchase due to aftermarket availability. There's nothing you can't find for a 700 ..... accept maybe an accutrigger .... LOL

if you only buy at gun stores then aftermarket for savages suck but they have everything on the internet. pretty much all you could consider replacing is the stock,not because its a crap stock but because XLR is damn sexy. lrp is target series so it should have the target accutrigger.

Savage's aftermarket support is at least as good as a Remington, and I don't see how they aren't "proven" either, they are known for accuracy and reliability. Not to say the 700 isn't as good, i have a 721, the 700's predecessor, and it is spectacular, its been in my family for decades. In the end its simply a choice of preference, do you refer a Remington or a Savage?

I've still got my Remmys but my new baby is a LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. You may not have as many manufacturers for ammo as other the other calibers, but the Hornady factory ammo is as good as anyone else's match ammo. The Hornady ammo is a little less expensive than .308 Match ammo.
The 120 Amax shoots under 5/8" at 100 yards in my LRP, I have a small stash of 140 Amax to try out.
The aftermarket doesn't have as much BS stuff as the Remmys, but the important stuff is out there.

Thanks guys, I'm definately leaning towards the savage. For people that have them is weight ever an issue? Another option I've considered is a 260 vls, but those are hard to come by

Weight is only an issue if you find it to be, we can't tell you what you can handle, I carry a 15lb 10fcp for coyotes, I'm walking miles, I've managed to survive.
If I were in your shoes, given the options, savage lrp all the way.
If I were looking to do what you are, taking the long range hunting into consideration, savage 110fcp hs precision in 300 mag w/badger fte, or 5r in 300mag w/badger fte.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Duke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys, I'm definately leaning towards the savage. For people that have them is weight ever an issue? Another option I've considered is a 260 vls, but those are hard to come by </div></div>

Depends on what your doing, hiking hills? Its very heavy about 13 lbs but with the weight there is no kick. I could probably shoot all day.

My hunting routine is ride around in a truck when I see something I get out and either shoot prone or off the hood so its good for me.

I spose the weight isn't much to deal with, hikes shouldn't be that far anyway. Is the 260 not sufficient for hunting under 750 yds? Obviously bigger would be more ideal but I didn't want anything near a 300 mag for occasional hunts

I have been shooting a savage for the past 7 years. I just purchaced a remington 5r. I rather my savage but the 5r is a fine rifle. I rather the trigger on the savage and that will save you a $200 upgrade alone and you also have a dbm. Just my 2 pennys!

I am new to long range shooting and considered these same two rifles just as you are. I ended up with a R700 5R based on my needs. Absolutely a great rifle! Based on what your stated needs are, I would definitely go with the LRP in .260 hands down.