• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor or 338 Lapua?

well the .338 lap has quite a kick to it, unless you get a heavy rifle with a good brake, even then it isnt recoil light. So just on recoil alone if I was you Id go with the 6.5 Creed. Depending a .338 Lap is a bit of a harder kicker than .300 WM (depending). I have a 6.5, and to me its a kitten recoil wise.
Just out of curiosity, how heavy would you need to dampen the .338 recoil? I only have the rpr in 6.5CM, but I've been told it is on the heavier end of things. I assume a .338 would require more.

Just out of curiosity, how heavy would you need to dampen the .338 recoil? I only have the rpr in 6.5CM, but I've been told it is on the heavier end of things. I assume a .338 would require more.
My 338 rpr is 15lbs bare.

well ehhh Id say 15lb minimum, with a good brake, which is about what the rpr is. I dont own a rpr so I cannot comment on its recoil, and felt recoil is pretty subjective. What I think is meh not bad, might be a mule kick to someone else. My 6.5 is around 15 lbs, and doesnt kick at all. Overall a heavier gun will absorb recoil better than a lighter one, however depending on your use, a heavier gun isnt always ideal, especially for hunting. Owners of heavy caliber guns can weigh in on this better than I can.

A good brake on a .338 will tame it really nicely.
If you put something like the Cadex Defense MX1 brake on it, then it's really nice and smooth
The Big factory AI brake is pretty decent also
Now when you get to the small slim breaks from Surefire or others that are designed to have a suppressor slip over it, then you start getting a lot of recoil when using them alone.

With brakes there is a somewhat inverse relationship between recoil reduction and the blast / concussion wave, so you have to pick the mix that works best for you.

I took my 338 awsm to the public range to zero a while back. I uncased the rifle and the guy next to me took one glance and started packing up

I have one of those with the original heavy fluted English barrel & it's nice to shoot. (With doubled up hearing protection).

I have one of those with the original heavy fluted English barrel & it's nice to shoot. (With doubled up hearing protection).

Just put a can on it...338 feels like 3006 when suppressed

20190419_095129.jpg

Reactions: VargmatII
I moved back to CA so that's a no-go. I did shoot a suppressed 338nm and was fairly impressed with what a suppressor was able to accomplish. It made the gun quite a bit more pleasurable to shoot.

Just put a can on it...338 feels like 3006 when suppressed

I'm working on it now, have one suppressor in suppressor jail & working on getting more.
I was kind of stuck for a decade as the local LE flatly refused to sign off unless you were a large sized "valued campaign contributor".

My buddy’s 338 Norma weighs right at 15lbs and with a probably not the best surefire brake recoil isn’t bad.
I can easily shoot 50 rounds from it on a day.

If it was mine I’d have another pound or two on it and a sidewinder break or something.
It would be a pussy cat after that.

I've been on the side of my own brake once when I let a friend shoot my gun and have never made that mistake again.

Reactions: TACC
Just my 2 cents but I have way more fun shooting Bolt Guns than I do my AR.

Definitely grab the 6.5 creedmoor. 338 Lapua is total overkill for 1,200 yards and in....especially when you’ll only regularly be shooting 200-800 yards

With a 4-5k build budget...just pay a shop like LRI to build you a custom rifle. That way you’ve got a good action, great trigger, and great barrel from the get-go, and you can put it in a stock or chassis of your choosing. You aren’t stuck with a chassis like you would be with the RPR.
I'm about to get my feet wet in PRS and I appreciate your info. Thanks

The funny thing is I firmly live in the echo chamber between @joelinux ears, and the real funny part is I do not think I have ever offered him any advice other than STFU and listen to what folks are telling him. Then not being able to believe someone could be that smart and stupid at the same time he had to be a troll. It is now clear his arrogance and obsession with being right regardless of overwheming dissent and facts makes him a must watch.

He currently owns one of the EPIC threads up there with Buddy and Paparock, and he keeps delivering dumpster fires! The fact that I can watch, let alone be his nemesis is pure gold.

Thanks Joe, you have made a flight to London a hoot!
Naaaa... JoeL is certainly entertaining, but he couldn't carry Buddly's jock "Ya bunch of pussy-ass bitches...!"

Naaaa... JoeL is certainly entertaining, but he couldn't carry Buddly's jock "Ya bunch of pussy-ass bitches...!"
Reading through some of the posts he posted on, I noticed a difference: Buddly fought hard to prove he is right.

I end up getting slammed for wanting something other people don't, and not capitulating.

Put another way, if I said, "Apple rocks! Windows sucks!" then I'd be pulling a Buddly.

However, I tend to say things like, "Hey, I'm going to get the Chromebook, can it support the FAT32 file system?" Only for people to say, "YOU NEED TO GO GET A Macbook Pro, THAT'S WHAT ALL OF US HAVE, WHY CAN'T YOU ACCEPT IT?"

Then @seansmd pipes up with, "Yeah Joe, why are you trolling with buying a Chromebook?"

This thread is the perfect example of why all my coworkers who had an engineering degree were laid off last year. All without the engineering degree kept their job.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
@joelinux So that means you will find other threads of people reaching out for help, so you can dive in and completely destroy the thread ensuring that they never get any help????

@joelinux So that means you will find other threads of people reaching out for help, so you can dive in and completely destroy the thread ensuring that they never get any help????
Yes. I helped Sheila Jackson Lee draft up HR127 too.

And I'm a silent partner in IO inc.

Typing “engineer” into any thread on this site is akin to saying beetle-juice 3x, except the summoned is 1/3 as useful...
Flunked out and got a liberal arts degree, I see. That's fine. Just remember that I like my frappacinos double blended, and we'll be ok.

Typing “engineer” into any thread on this site is akin to saying beetle-juice 3x, except the summoned is 1/3 as useful...

Flunked out and got a liberal arts degree, I see. That's fine. Just remember that I like my frappacinos double blended, and we'll be ok.
Point made and reinforced. Thanks. Probably the most use mister “you know, I AM an engineer after all” has ever been.

i dont even have a degree...
You didn't have to say that. It was obvious.
Point made and reinforced. Thanks. Probably the most use mister “you know, I AM an engineer after all” has ever been.
Did I mention I am an engineer?
If I had to guess, ol’ “I am an engineer, you know” is only good for 2 pumps...
That's all I need. Anyone that needs more, well, that's on them.

boys, boys...

can we all just agree that we hate engineers? even engineers hate themselves. no questions asked.

and the 338 lapua is a retarded option for any casual shooter. (also so 2000 & late)

Reactions: Supersubes
boys, boys...

can we all just agree that we hate engineers? even engineers hate themselves. no questions asked.

and the 338 lapua is a retarded option for any casual shooter. (also so 2000 & late)
i·ro·ny
/ˈīrənē/
noun
1. B*tching about engineers over a communications network built by engineers.

i·ro·ny
/ˈīrənē/
noun
1. B*tching about engineers over a communications network built by engineers.
I'm pretty sure frank has been screwed by web designers once or twice.

Im not sure that Ive been involved with anything related to engineers that hasnt required a massive apology.

Im not sure that Ive been involved with anything related to engineers that hasnt required a massive apology.
I agree. Judging from your response, you should be continually apologizing to the engineers you bother.

I’ve never seen an “engineer” with a hammer, pliers, or any constructive tool in their hands. Calculator? Yep. Slide rule? Sure. Engineers don’t “build” anything.

I agree. Judging from your response, you should be continually apologizing to the engineers you bother.

$30-60K a month for engineers to miss soild compaction tests and plumbing in a wastewater treatment plant. The irony of paying someone for work they are not doing and being off on an estimate $6.5M on a $13M plant... yeah that leaves a bad taste. And I bet they still boast about being an engineer at thanksgiving.

the fact that they are (sometimes) needed doesnt make them any less of a crap heap. ever thought of getting a job at the VA complaint department? could be a really solid career choice.

I’ve never seen an “engineer” with a hammer, pliers, or any constructive tool in their hands. Calculator? Yep. Slide rule? Sure. Engineers don’t “build” anything.
Of course not. They design it so that technicians can put it together.

Apple engineered the iPhone. Foxconn built them.
the fact that they are (sometimes) needed...
I love how in a rant about a specific bad engineering situation, you have to admit they are needed.

Of course not. They design it so that technicians can put it together.

Apple engineered the iPhone. Foxconn built them.

I love how in a rant about a specific bad engineering situation, you have to admit they are needed.
some are. you are not one of them and certainly not on this forum

This thread is the perfect example of why all my coworkers who had an engineering degree were laid off last year. All without the engineering degree kept their job.

Did you really revived a 2 year old thread for this?

You've been hanging around in the stupidest things ever told thread too much.

Did you really revived a 2 year old thread for this?
Spoked the english language goodly not you did.

And yes, he was a thread necomancer. Between the age of the thread, the fact that I've long since bought all my equipment, and the abuse focused at me, I'm just trolling at this point.

Continue responding if you dare. I can give as good as I get.

Spoked the english language goodly not you did.

And yes, he was a thread necomancer. Between the age of the thread, the fact that I've long since bought all my equipment, and the abuse focused at me, I'm just trolling at this point.

Continue responding if you dare. I can give as good as I get.
Lol, i blame touchscreen phone keyboards and POS autocorect. 🤣

Isnt everybody a trollin at this point?

Reactions: Jackomason