• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor or 338 Lapua?

Studio3

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2019
Mussouri
www.studio3productions.com
thx For the add to the forum and being new I’m looking around for the appropriate location to ask my question but couldn’t find a specific spot so here I am.
I am an avid shooter, not a weekend warrior nor do I shoot long gun on a regular basis but I want to build one now to just go out and have fun with, no competition, no hunting, just a good no recoil to low recoil quality firearm. I am really interested in putting an atacr NF on one and have the ability to shoot 1200 yds. Now in reality I will probably shoot 200-800 but would like the ability to go out further if I get a wild hair. I’m told 6.5 is the better cheaper option? I’m a guy that will tweak Until I get the lowest MOA. I was looking at the gen 3 Ruger for the money then upgrade as I go? Thoughts and thanks guys. Be gentle it’s my first time. ?

just a good no recoil to low recoil quality firearm

I am pretty sure this rules out the 338 Lapua.

will the 6.5 go 1200 yards? yes it will. I think your plan is fine. Keep in mind the cost of tools and parts to upgrade. You may be better off spending more up front, for a better overall rifle which won't need upgrdes. If you enjoy testing and tweaking, maybe start low and work up like you said. Just something to consider.

.338 Lapua is a funny animal; I shoot mine out of a Cadex Kraken (multi caliber) which weighs somewhere in between a shitload and a fuck ton. Recoil. Near zero. If you’re planning to reload, the Lapua is fun to shoot and fun to reload.

P.s. I also shoot 6.5CM, .308 Winchester and .300 Win Mag out of it, I honestly see no difference in felt recoil between all those calibers.

I am pretty sure this rules out the 338 Lapua.

will the 6.5 go 1200 yards? yes it will. I think your plan is fine. Keep in mind the cost of tools and parts to upgrade. You may be better off spending more up front, for a better overall rifle which won't need upgrdes. If you enjoy testing and tweaking, maybe start low and work up like you said. Just something to consider.
Would you start with the Ruger? I was thinking about a better barrel, trigger assembly and stock. Hate to buy parts I am gonna replace right away. I’m the kinda guy that just buys the best I can first and learn to that level. Hate having new parts laying around I wasn’t use.

.338 Lapua is a funny animal; I shoot mine out of a Cadex Kraken (multi caliber) which weighs somewhere in between a shitload and a fuck ton. Recoil. Near zero. If you’re planning to reload, the Lapua is fun to shoot and fun to reload.

P.s. I also shoot 6.5CM, .308 Winchester and .300 Win Mag out of it, I honestly see no difference in felt recoil between all those calibers.
I do not plan to reload and I’m looking for the least recoil. Be nice to have a gas piston system like my Adams AR does

Definitely go with the 338, 4-5k is plenty ?

tenor.gif

6.5 vs 338 is like comparing a baseball or a softball being pitched by Verlander at your shoulder at the same speed. Or maybe apple vs watermelon...
Either way, the 6.5 will do what your asking for cheaper and more enjoyable.
I know they are vastly diff but if you wanted to shoot 200 and then go shoot 1200 or better would you go a particular way. Don’t want to build 2 and reality says I’d probably only go shoot it once a month.....

What about it?! You can buy factory ammo for 338, no reloading necessary!

Now you're talking about gas guns. Assumed bolt gun when you said 338. Yes you can get a semi in 338, but not popular.

6.5 CM is roughly $1 a round.
338 LM is roughly $5 a round.

Sig makes a piston operated 6.5 CM.
Recoil, the 6.5 CM is light. The 338 hits hard depending on the weight of the rifle. Being an AR, may not be enjoyable.

Just google 6.5CM vs 338LM and look at images. All that powder and heavier round translates to recoil.

Now you're talking about gas guns. Assumed bolt gun when you said 338. Yes you can get a semi in 338, but not popular.

6.5 CM is roughly $1 a round.
338 LM is roughly $5 a round.

Sig makes a piston operated 6.5 CM.
Recoil, the 6.5 CM is light. The 338 hits hard depending on the weight of the rifle. Being an AR, may not be enjoyable.

Just google 6.5CM vs 338LM and look at images. All that powder and heavier round translates to recoil.
I def want a bolt gun. At least I’m told the age old statement of being the most accurate platform to buy

Just my 2 cents but I have way more fun shooting Bolt Guns than I do my AR.

Definitely grab the 6.5 creedmoor. 338 Lapua is total overkill for 1,200 yards and in....especially when you’ll only regularly be shooting 200-800 yards

With a 4-5k build budget...just pay a shop like LRI to build you a custom rifle. That way you’ve got a good action, great trigger, and great barrel from the get-go, and you can put it in a stock or chassis of your choosing. You aren’t stuck with a chassis like you would be with the RPR.

Reactions: Macman25
Just my 2 cents but I have way more fun shooting Bolt Guns than I do my AR.

Definitely grab the 6.5 creedmoor. 338 Lapua is total overkill for 1,200 yards and in....especially when you’ll only regularly be shooting 200-800 yards

With a 4-5k build budget...just pay a shop like LRI to build you a custom rifle. That way you’ve got a good action, great trigger, and great barrel from the get-go, and you can put it in a stock or chassis of your choosing. You aren’t stuck with a chassis like you would be with the RPR.
My 4/5k includes a nightforce scope. Not sure why I want that one but I just heard it’s one of the best and I want a very good scope from the git go. Can I build a custom platform for $2500?

My 4/5k includes a nightforce scope. Not sure why I want that one but I just heard it’s one of the best and I want a very good scope from the git go. Can I build a custom platform for $2500?

Short answer, yes. But it depends on what you buy for parts and how much a shop would charge to put it all together if you don’t do it yourself

thx For the add to the forum and being new I’m looking around for the appropriate location to ask my question but couldn’t find a specific spot so here I am.
I am an avid shooter, not a weekend warrior nor do I shoot long gun on a regular basis but I want to build one now to just go out and have fun with, no competition, no hunting, just a good no recoil to low recoil quality firearm.

Pretty much 6.5CM hands down for the no recoil and the 800 to 1k that you'll probably be mostly shooting at.

Now for platform it depends on what your budget is:

Super cheap, go stock Ruger RPR, hard to get any better for the money
Next step up the Tikka T3x CTR

Then from there in the $2k range you have a lot of nice entry "Factory" options.

Then going up into the $4k range you have Accuracy International AT rifles & lots of customs
Then going up into the $5k range you have the AI-AX series and high end customs.

Now if you are in the $4k and up range, I would seriously suggest you give some thought to the new Hoplite rifles that @THEIS will be coming out with at the end of the year. You'll be able to hot rod those rifles way more than any others for when you want to try pushing stuff to the max.

Be nice to have a gas piston system like my Adams AR does
I def want a bolt gun. At least I’m told the age old statement of being the most accurate platform to buy
probably gonna have a hard time finding a bolt gun with gas piston system. might want to rethink that.

btw , I do have a diesel pickup that runs on gas if anyone is interested in buying.

Reactions: Jackomason
I’m replacing all of my 6.5mm stuff with 8.6mm, across the board. 22LR is also a waste when I can launch .224 so much faster. Short action is so, well, short. I totally need that energy delivery.

Make sure whatever you pick is SAAMI spec though. So much more American than that CIP bullshit. I suggest a DSR-1 rebarreled with a Savage 110BA take-off.

?

Hell, Chuck Norris doesn’t even need the evil heavy part... just the optic and a chewed up fishing sinker... headshot.

1570496182885.jpeg

Last edited:
Asks for piston operated rifle then says they want a bolt rifle.
Knows nothing about the cost of the ammo and recoil characteristics of each.
No research into the scope.

Troll
Idiot
Money without a clue...
Take your pick, I'm done.

If you are truly serious, then stop. Do research. You are making yourself look stupid. Once you have some knowledge then come back with more precise questions.

Watch this video, all great complete guns and should fit in your budget without going "cheap" anywhere. Much better than what I started on but then again I didn't have a 4-5k budget.

You wouldn't happen to be one of @joelinux engineering coworkers would you?

I think you should quit playing around and man up and just go .375 cheytac...

Have you even tried to Google the price difference per round between factory 338LM and 6?5 Creed???

Asks for piston operated rifle then says they want a bolt rifle.
Knows nothing about the cost of the ammo and recoil characteristics of each.
No research into the scope.

Troll
Idiot
Money without a clue...
Take your pick, I'm done.

If you are truly serious, then stop. Do research. You are making yourself look stupid. Once you have some knowledge then come back with more precise questions.
Yea. Go away! Jackass!

You wouldn't happen to be one of @joelinux engineering coworkers would you?

I think you should quit playing around and man up and just go .375 cheytac...

Have you even tried to Google the price difference per round between factory 338LM and 6?5 Creed???
I guess this isn’t the place to ask legitimate questions and hope for intelligent f***ing answers. I’ll delete my acct. thx asshat!

@Studio3 you asked a question about 2-4 very different guns without even googling it from the looks of it. What more did you expect?

I had an rpr in 6.5. Now have one in 338. Huge difference in recoil even with a heavy rifle.

338 is very expensive to feed. S&B 250 match gives me sub .5 moa at only $3 a shot. $7+ a round are out there. I reload, but it's still a buck plus and a lot of testing.

Watch some videos and do your research. Stupid questions lead to stupid answers.

fcd200d5-3e7c-4ec6-978a-c8e663377898.jpg

No. There is this.

That is where you should've asked this question.

Also doing some searching on costs and sizes of some of these things that people are mentioning.

bblcut33803.jpg

You are asking us to compare the top vs the bottom. Costs go up alot the higher you go.

Picked hornady match cause its easier to find.
6.5 Creed $1.20 each or $24/20
308 win $1.15 each or $22.89/20
300 win mag $1.55 each or $31/20
338 lapua $3.47 each or $70/20

Costs of gun parts for upgrading go up greatly for bigger items.

Barrel cost for rpr barrels from LRI (quick search) 675 for 6.5 Creed. 750 for 338 lapua.

Can you see why some are blowing you off?

If you are serious about this and are really asking save up and go for the axmc. If you want something fun to start with that you will learn on go for an accurate bolt 22lr and try your hand at 22elr (22lr beyond 300 yards or so).

Reactions: dj_taboo
I guess this isn’t the place to ask legitimate questions and hope for intelligent f***ing answers. I’ll delete my acct. thx asshat!

Don't slip on your tears snowflake on your way out

• Love
Reactions: AIAW
I am an avid shooter, not a weekend warrior nor do I shoot long gun on a regular basis but I want to build one now to just go out and have fun with, no competition, no hunting, just a good no recoil to low recoil quality firearm. I am really interested in putting an atacr NF on one and have the ability to shoot 1200 yds. Now in reality I will probably shoot 200-800 but would like the ability to go out further if I get a wild hair. I’m told 6.5 is the better cheaper option? I’m a guy that will tweak Until I get the lowest MOA. I was looking at the gen 3 Ruger for the money then upgrade as I go? Thoughts and thanks guys. Be gentle it’s my first time. ?

Don't listen to these guys. I think you will be fine with the 338. No hunting or competition. Just a nice low or no recoil rifle that you can shoot all day long.