• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmoor vs 6.5x47 lapua

if buying factory ammo: creedmoor
if reloading only: x47
i wonder if remington was smarter at marketing there would be such a thing as 6.5 creedmoor?
i couldnt believe it when 6mm creed came out, lol. ive been shooting deer w/ .243 since i was 12...

All shit stirring aside, you aren't gonna go wrong with either one in your case. Pick one. I chose the x47. It's a shorter case and leaves more room in the mag for seating bullets. I'm very happy with it's performance, and don't regret my choice. Next barrel, who knows?? Good luck.

I made the same decision for the exact same reasons and have not regretted it one moment. I actually built a 6x47 on an AR-10 platform and use PMAGs and love it. I use the Hornady ELD's due to a more resilient tip as it feeds from a mag in semi-auto mode. This sport IS super opinionated. Both wil lwork super well. I will say that given the ever evolving world of bullets - one "leap-frogging" the other, coming out with great new features, you want options and mag length left unused is a great feature - one you can really use. I am scaring 60 years old and have reloaded since I was 16. I shoot regional competitive matches - 350-1,200 yards - and have shot a straight .260 Rem forever and still love it. it does everything a 6.5 CM does - for me. It's just not new, shiny, sexy. It just happens to work really well. :>) But in the end, pick either one, decide what is most important to you, and you'll be in good company either way!

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life; I'd managed to bury a lot of its pain in bourbon and cheap wimmin since the posting war.

Reading through the PTSD moments again, I cannot help but think of the recent work Cal Zant has done on cartridge selection in PRS etc. It appears from that review the PRS is favouring big, heavy rifles with 6mm fast and light projectiles with a muzzle brake.

Now the "butt hurt crew from down under" (thanks to Frank for that epithet) shoot multiple positions, including prone with a sling, which would make the 6mm route a hit and miss event when the conditions get freaky. And they do get freaky here all the time: mirage, heat, rain, wind and snow - sometimes in the same match.

So a 140 grain 6.5 projectile, travelling in the node 2900 to 3050, offers a sound percentage choice in a 14 - 16lb rifle. This is for us and represents our experience. Other experiences may vary and be subjective to the user's specific environment.

Now I'm off to order some butt hurt tee shirts ahead of Frank's long awaited visit to this country.

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life; I'd managed to bury a lot of its pain in bourbon and cheap wimmin since the posting war.

Reading through the PTSD moments again, I cannot help but think of the recent work Cal Zant has done on cartridge selection in PRS etc. It appears from that review the PRS is favouring big, heavy rifles with 6mm fast and light projectiles with a muzzle brake.

Now the "butt hurt crew from down under" (thanks to Frank for that epithet) shoot multiple positions, including prone with a sling, which would make the 6mm route a hit and miss event when the conditions get freaky. And they do get freaky here all the time: mirage, heat, rain, wind and snow - sometimes in the same match.

So a 140 grain 6.5 projectile, travelling in the node 2900 to 3050, offers a sound percentage choice in a 14 - 16lb rifle. This is for us and represents our experience. Other experiences may vary and be subjective to the user's specific environment.

Now I'm off to order some butt hurt tee shirts ahead of Frank's long awaited visit to this country.

I personally think it all comes down to using the best tool for the job, in this case caliber.
In a gaming setting like the PRS use what gives the best chance of success and limits as many of the variables out of the equation like using the fast 6mm cartridges.
I mainly use my rifles for hunting and energy on target is more appealing to me than super fast and flat though I do have a 26" 1-8 243win that runs the Berger 88FB vld more than fast enough for popping coyotes and varmints.
Choose the right tool for the job and enjoy ?

Yup. And we solve our shooting problems using the various cartridge solutions available to us in 2019. Gone are the days of 303, 308 and dreaming of a better way.

Reactions: XLR308
Blasphemy, the 308win will never die ??

After seeing how poorly they performed in the tricky conditions that occurred at last match I was in (despite the top level shooters using them), I will allow the 308 Win to languish in the bittersweet memory of shooting the SLR.

Reactions: XLR308
6.5CM wins,

The x47 is too expensive compared, no where near the support as 6.5CM, the velocities are slower and you have to push it to the limits to get the proper speed, and those who cry, but lapua brass, that is just a smoke screen.

The only benefit was when there was no 6.5CM because it was then only compared to the 260REM and at the time guys were loading that too long to fit in a magazine. The 6.5CM solved the same problem with magazine length loading.

6.5CM all day long

Don’t see any Creedmoors winning at F class matches . But I do see 6.5x47 setting records ! The only reason I went with 6.5x47 was research determined it was more accurate . I don’t own a creed so can’t compare . I’ve got 2 6BRs and a 6.5x47 . Im pretty sure I’ll be shooting the 6.5 this season . It seems to be a real shooter .

Last edited:
Reactions: moosemeat
Don’t see any Creedmoors winning at F class matches . But I do see 6.5x47 setting records ! The only reason I went with 6.5x47 was research determined it was more accurate . I don’t own a creed so can’t compare . I’ve got 2 6BRs and a 6.5x47 . Im pretty sure I’ll be shooting the 6.5 this season . It seems to be a real shooter .
That wasn’t the point he was making.

I have been back and forth with this and went with the Lapua for 2 main reasons.
1. its shorter.
2. less powder means it's easier to shoot. I don't care how small the difference in recoil is, it's there and worth another couple of clicks.

I went 6xc for two reasons. Large primer for my large unbushed firing pin and it sounds cool and most people think I’m shooting a space caliber after they ask.

6.5x47 has a bit of that same mystique allure.

Everything else is debatable and there isn’t a wrong choice. But one definitely gives your chambering some exotic flair.

1580909188032.jpeg

SuperS, we could debate this subject endlessly, I choose not to, but I would take my chances on 6.5x47 simple because of reading about easy tuning and small groups ever since the cartridge came out.
I was there right in front of the target at 1000Y in the pit at the range near Tucson AZ when Charles Greer, with his 300WSM set his 3.9??? something inch group, I can't remember exactly what size it was, just that it was a record. I watched it appear in front of my eyes. It's the only firearm benchrest match I've shot in. Cool huh!

I agree, to a point, at any match there's a element of luck as to who gets the W. Maybe David with his 6.5x47 got the best bench location, the least wind, and his bench manners were flawless??? However you slice it, a W is a W and I'm not saying that the top cartridges aren't capable of winning at any given time.

BTW, I'm not having good luck trying to talk myself out of 6mmBRA for my next barrel. Maybe even a 25 BRA! What do "we" think of that, LOL.

How many rounds in those groups and how many of those groups were in the X ring? I've seen 3 round groups that size shot with a bipod and rear bag at club matches. I shot a three shot group of about 2 inches at 800 yards during a club match with a 6.5CM. Wasn't an X or 10 so it didn't matter too much. It was three different wind holds though. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That wasn’t the point he was making.

Ok ! I read at the top of the post that 6.5 CM wins and at the bottom of the post it says 6.5 CM all day long . So I just put in my reasons for 6.5x47 . Thx for correcting me ! Lol

Blasphemy, the 308win will never die ??

It probably won’t ever die completely , but in the F class ranks u don’t see it very much anymore . I tried to be competitive with it and no joy . Went to 6BR and 6.5x47 and now I believe I will be very competitive .

Wow Four pages of this and that and I m still on the fence as which to build. I do like the shorter mag length and ability to lengthen out as barrel throat wears in . Is the extra 100 feet per second going to give up any accuracy in the Creedmoor?

Wow Four pages of this and that and I m still on the fence as which to build. I do like the shorter mag length and ability to lengthen out as barrel throat wears in . Is the extra 100 feet per second going to give up any accuracy in the Creedmoor?

6BR all the way ! I’ve got3 and as soon as I take off a 6.5x47 barrel I’m going to have 4 ! It’s an incredibly accurate and stupid easy to load cartridge . I’ve got a 30” Shilen select match full bull 6.5x47 barrel that will be for sale . In fact it’s on Armslist !

6BR all the way ! I’ve got3 and as soon as I take off a 6.5x47 barrel I’m going to have 4 ! It’s an incredibly accurate and stupid easy to load cartridge . I’ve got a 30” Shilen select match full bull 6.5x47 barrel that will be for sale . In fact it’s on Armslist !
I bet that was a big help to him

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
I bet that was a big help to him
I shoot F open and you don’t see any Creedmoors or 6.5x47s winning ! You do see 6BRs winning . I just took 1st place a couple weeks ago with 6BR and bipod on a wood bench . 6BR JUST SHOOTS !

I hear you I have 2 for Benchrest. The 80 grain Berger’s work great out to 400 , then the 105 take over . I m now hooked on the 6 xc and it will be the first barrel for my new build.The debate is will the switch barrel be a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6.5 x 47 Lapua. Just can’t handle the 6.5 x 284 Norma anymore.

I shoot F open and you don’t see any Creedmoors or 6.5x47s winning ! You do see 6BRs winning . I just took 1st place a couple weeks ago with 6BR and bipod on a wood bench . 6BR JUST SHOOTS !

Ok ! So in 2007 the 6.5x47 won a match ! Lmao

You’re over thinking this.

Are you reloading? Then get a x47 OR creedmoor

Do you only want to shoot factory ammo? Buy creedmoor.

Either way, get a 26-28” barrel and go shoot.

Reactions: Rob01

i do know of a guy who is doing very well with a 6.5x47 ! His rifle weighs 80 pounds . That’s where a lot of the accuracy comes from .

what does weight have to do with it? are you saying a light rifle can not be accurate?

I’m not saying a light rifle can’t be accurate . I’m saying weight is your friend and will make an accurate rifle more accurate . Take 2 rifles , exact same weight . One 6BR and the other 6.5x47 . The 6BR will be more accurate . Not coming down on 6.5 ! Just stating a fact .

I mean.. We get it. You love your savage in 6BR. But I’m not sure that’s the OP’s question. I would pick x47 all day over 6.5cm. It’s inherently accuracy and it sounds cool 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
I mean.. We get it. You love your savage in 6BR. But I’m not sure that’s the OP’s question. I would pick x47 all day over 6.5cm. It’s inherently accuracy and it sounds cool 🤷🏻‍♂️

Everyone has an opinion and so do I ! Was just trying to give the guy another option that I thought he might be interested in . A lot of people don’t shoot more than 500 yards and the 6BR takes the cake pretty much over everything at that distance . Just thought he might be interested . I wish someone would have told me about it so I didn’t waste so much time and money with other cartridges.
And bringing up inherent accuracy , that’s why I’m taking my 6.5x47 barrel off and replacing with a 6BR . It just makes sense when you are striving for extreme accuracy .

why is it always one or the other buy both shoot one then the other figure out which you like , then make you own desision either way you will have two nice guns using two different types of ammo you can always save the one you like less for a rainy day gift for yourself , I can Imagine ever not being happy about receiving a present that I know I will like guns make me happy . I am still not a big fan of plastic stocks but it would still make me smile having one ready to be unwrapped on a rainy day .

Everyone has an opinion and so do I ! Was just trying to give the guy another option that I thought he might be interested in . A lot of people don’t shoot more than 500 yards and the 6BR takes the cake pretty much over everything at that distance . Just thought he might be interested . I wish someone would have told me about it so I didn’t waste so much time and money with other cartridges.
And bringing up inherent accuracy , that’s why I’m taking my 6.5x47 barrel off and replacing with a 6BR . It just makes sense when you are striving for extreme accuracy .
Let’s see some groups supporting how your br is shooting much better than your x47? I’m genuinely curious to see the difference in group size. And chrono info as well

why is it always one or the other buy both shoot one then the other figure out which you like , then make you own desision either way you will have two nice guns using two different types of ammo you can always save the one you like less for a rainy day gift for yourself , I can Imagine ever not being happy about receiving a present that I know I will like guns make me happy . I am still not a big fan of plastic stocks but it would still make me smile having one ready to be unwrapped on a rainy day .
I did that . Started with 308 , went to 6.5 CM then 6BR then 6.5x47 . Now all I shoot is 6BR . In my mind why would I own anything different when I already have a cartridge that can do what others do but even better . I’m just talking what’s best for me . To each his own .

Let’s see some groups supporting how your br is shooting much better than your x47? I’m genuinely curious to see the difference in group size. And chrono info as well
I have plenty of groups from 6BR to show u . Just curious as well , Do u own a 6BR ? And I do have great groups from 6.5x47 , but it’s nowhere as consistent as 6BR . IMHO due to recoil .

I have plenty of groups from 6BR to show u . Just curious as well , Do u own a 6BR ? And I do have great groups from 6.5x47 , but it’s nowhere as consistent as 6BR . IMHO due to recoil .
I do. 27” kreiger 1:7 tw HV barrel chambered by keystone, fitted to an Impact action in an AIAX chassis. I’ve shot one match with it so far but just like shooting in general with it.

I do. 27” kreiger 1:7 tw HV barrel chambered by keystone, fitted to an Impact action in an AIAX chassis. I’ve shot one match with it so far but just like shooting in general with it.
So maybe early to tell , but do u feel it’s more accurate than the 6.5x47 ?

wrong! I’ve shot both....3 barrels of both as a matter of fact...and can tell you that the 6.5x47 produced the best number of ANY cartridge I’ve shot...it was not uncommon to shoot .290 groups with a SD of 0 and an ES of 1-2fps From a bipod and rear bag.

6BR I will agree 100% stupid easy to load for and stupid accurate...I put 3 rounds on a 3/4” bolt at 850yds...witnessed by a hide member...in a tactical match....but then I shot a 5 shot group at 650yds that your thumb would cover with a 6.5x47.

and weight has nothing to do with a gun being accurate or not it’s more about the barrel and the chamber job and even more about load development and the guy behind the rifle.

I shot a 23lb rifle for a few years end of last year I went back to a light-er rifle 15lbs...end of last and first part of this year I won every match I shot except one I took 2nd.

I’m shooting a 6BRA now and imho more consistent than either of the guns we are talking about and every bit as accurate.

wrong! I’ve shot both....3 barrels of both as a matter of fact...and can tell you that the 6.5x47 produced the best number of ANY cartridge I’ve shot...it was not uncommon to shoot .290 groups with a SD of 0 and an ES of 1-2fps From a bipod and rear bag.

6BR I will agree 100% stupid easy to load for and stupid accurate...I put 3 rounds on a 3/4” bolt at 850yds...witnessed by a hide member...in a tactical match....but then I shot a 5 shot group at 650yds that your thumb would cover with a 6.5x47.

and weight has nothing to do with a gun being accurate or not it’s more about the barrel and the chamber job and even more about load development and the guy behind the rifle.

I shot a 23lb rifle for a few years end of last year I went back to a light-er rifle 15lbs...end of last and first part of this year I won every match I shot except one I took 2nd.

I’m shooting a 6BRA now and imho more consistent than either of the guns we are talking about and every bit as accurate.
Well I wonder why they have HEAVY GUN if weight doesn’t make a rifle more accurate ?
And last week at a match where there were 22 guys competing what do u think the dominant cartridge was ?????? You guessed it ! 6BR !

And what kind of matches are u shooting ? Ringing steel is quite different than putting 20 shots into a 1 MOA circle .

And what kind of matches are u shooting ? Ringing steel is quite different than putting 20 shots into a 1 MOA circle .

I shoot a little F-class now and then too and can hold my own off a bipod.

the 6BR May be the dominant cartridge where you shoot but the 284 rules the roost around here.

Reactions: Steel head

the 6BR May be the dominant cartridge where you shoot but the 284 rules the roost around here.
[/

What distance are we talking here with .284 ?

Six is about right, definitely past the tantrum two's but not by much... but then again it might meds, or lack thereof.

What distance are we talking here with .284 ?

when its windy the 284s come out at 600 and you know for yourself what runs the 1000yd line.

look im not arguing that the 6BR is a great round or the fact that it holds a lot of records my point is that there are a lot of very accurate cartridges out there and some that just might surprise you....i have a buddy here that made master shooting a 260rem with 139g lapuas.
i shot a long action savage 110BA in the savage chassis with a 28" shilin barrel chambered in 260rem next to bob hoppie a few years back in a local 3x1000....long story short i beat bob by a couple of points and ended the day with a center punch and a 593-13X.

Six is about right, definitely past the tantrum two's but not by much... but then again it might meds, or lack thereof.
Lol ! You guys crack me up . Getting all offended because someone doesn’t bow down to your cartridge ! Now that’s childish ! Lol