• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor

You should check out the Hornady apps. One for reloading data and the other long range shooting solutions. Both work pretty well.
I recently switched from IMR 4350 to VV555 (free app from VihtaVouri). The 555 is very stable and consistent.
555 is a very Good powder as is ALL of the VV I've used over the years .

Yep same here ,as I use a pretty fair amount of various VV flavors . 140 ,160 ,540 ,550 , 555 , 560 and 568 for rifle and N320 pistol .

Reactions: Bbracken667
I gotta tell you, I was shocked and speechless after our conversations to learn that you, of all people, are competing with factory ammo. Not that it matter much.
I am also shocked to learn they rip that fast. LoL back when I was shooting .224 I traded for some black label (or something like that) and shot a couple. They kicked harder than I expected then when I pulled the rest apart for components I saw why. What I would describe as an overcharge coupled with a substantial variation in charge weight round over round.

I believe he's sponsored by Hornady.

Nope me either. My 153 load feels about the same as the 140 load that is faster and actually less than the factory lot of 140 ELDs I have that are coming out 2850fps.

Can either of you tell the difference between a 130 and 140g? I think I can but maybe I'll have someone else load up my mag randomly and see if I can tell shooting them.

Can either of you tell the difference between a 130 and 140g? I think I can but maybe I'll have someone else load up my mag randomly and see if I can tell shooting them.

Never shot the 130s. Shot some 120s but that was back in 2008 so no memory of the feel. Sorry.

Reactions: ARShooter91
130 eldm with 42.2 of h4350 out of my 26” krieger are phenomenal

Does anyone have data on Vihtavuori N555 with Hornady 140gr ELD-M?
Looking to load with that combination specifically, in Lapua SRP brass.

Thanks

OK the quick and dirty as I have assignments due and NO I didn't setup My Labrador ,so NO ES SD data . Next time I'll do the whole enchilada but first must build a New Rifle bench ,My current one is smaller than I'd like . Seems I can't fit everything on it I'll need too . My shed bench is large enough but faces My Pistol range 0-60 Yd. only . So off to the Lumber Yahrd as the Chief constable in Young Frankenstein would say .

Did these tests whole lot different than I normally do . Shot #5 shot group in under #1 Minute ,allowed #5 minutes between groups. Including #20 shot group . Even put up virgin cardboard backers ,so NO fake BS . 165 Yd. & 278 Yd. breezy today started 12-15 Mph ,finished 18-21 Mph and they seemed to be drifting with the wind or I'm off center . I did adjust wind #2 clicks on StaBall but then ran it back . Best group N540 followed by StaBall . Funny IMR 4064 put #3 in near same hole after spreading 1 St. #2 !.

MY 129 gr. Hunting loads proved VERY respectful and their zinging fast ,I'll also run data on those next time ,as that's #20 into one oversized hole .
Overall I'm tickled shirtless with My Custom assembled Aero Precision 6.5 CM . :)(y)

Attachments

• Aero precision AR 6 5 CM April 2024.jpg
    Aero precision AR 6 5 CM April 2024.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Hunting load 129 gr 278 Yd April 2024 1.jpg
    Hunting load 129 gr 278 Yd April 2024 1.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Cardboard fresh April 2024 165 Yd.jpg
    Cardboard fresh April 2024 165 Yd.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Virgin cardboard backer 278 Yd April 2024.jpg
    Virgin cardboard backer 278 Yd April 2024.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Love
Does anyone have data on Vihtavuori N555 with Hornady 140gr ELD-M?
Looking to load with that combination specifically, in Lapua SRP brass.

Thanks
I am currently running 43.5 grains 555 with large primer lapua, and BR 2 (or whatever the large bench rest primer is) at 2.875 col, both 140 ELDM and 140 bthp. I also am coating bullets with hBn. If you follow this charge etc it’s all on your responsibility.
OK the quick and dirty as I have assignments due and NO I didn't setup My Labrador ,so NO ES SD data . Next time I'll do the whole enchilada but first must build a New Rifle bench ,My current one is smaller than I'd like . Seems I can't fit everything on it I'll need too . My shed bench is large enough but faces My Pistol range 0-60 Yd. only . So off to the Lumber Yahrd as the Chief constable in Young Frankenstein would say .

Did these tests whole lot different than I normally do . Shot #5 shot group in under #1 Minute ,allowed #5 minutes between groups. Including #20 shot group . Even put up virgin cardboard backers ,so NO fake BS . 165 Yd. & 278 Yd. breezy today started 12-15 Mph ,finished 18-21 Mph and they seemed to be drifting with the wind or I'm off center . I did adjust wind #2 clicks on StaBall but then ran it back . Best group N540 followed by StaBall . Funny IMR 4064 put #3 in near same hole after spreading 1 St. #2 !.

MY 129 gr. Hunting loads proved VERY respectful and their zinging fast ,I'll also run data on those next time ,as that's #20 into one oversized hole .
Overall I'm tickled shirtless with My Custom assembled Aero Precision 6.5 CM . :)(y)
very nice! I also like N540 as it is my 2nd choice (strictly subjective) behind N555.
I don’t shoot 129, but I have shot 123 ELDM and used 40 grains of N540 at 2.8 col.
Otherwise I am all in on 140 grain with a side of 147’s .
I quashed my trip to the range until Friday or next week one day. We had a good amount of rain Monday-Tuesday and a stiff breeze as well after the system passed. Add to that I am lazy and it’s postponed LOL will post some picks of groups at 200 yds after I run. Looking to confirm and adjust settings for GRT. Using hBn has been a pain trying to get settings right. That initial pressure setting is how I am accounting for the hBn even though there is more involved.

Reactions: Ex E6
Nope me either. My 153 load feels about the same as the 140 load that is faster and actually less than the factory lot of 140 ELDs I have that are coming out 2850fps.
I just checked something that was nagging me around the edges of my subconscious…. The energy at muzzle (per 4dof) for 123 grain ELDM is 2316. The energy at muzzle for 140 grain (17 grain difference) was 2193. And 130 was 2140. Between 130 and 140 the difference in energy is 53 ft-lbs. The difference in momentum (recoil) would be of a similar nature, no?
I have no experience trying to measure or calculate recoil. I just feel it. I quit the 30-06 because of recoil and went with cartridges of lesser reputation for recoil. Relatively close mass and speed between 130 and 140, correct? The energy of the 123 was due to a significant speed difference.
Am I incorrect in my approach to quantify recoil using energy (ft-lbs)? The alternative would be to actually calculate momentum and compare that.

I just checked something that was nagging me around the edges of my subconscious…. The energy at muzzle (per 4dof) for 123 grain ELDM is 2316. The energy at muzzle for 140 grain (17 grain difference) was 2193. And 130 was 2140. Between 130 and 140 the difference in energy is 53 ft-lbs. The difference in momentum (recoil) would be of a similar nature, no?
I have no experience trying to measure or calculate recoil. I just feel it. I quit the 30-06 because of recoil and went with cartridges of lesser reputation for recoil. Relatively close mass and speed between 130 and 140, correct? The energy of the 123 was due to a significant speed difference.
Am I incorrect in my approach to quantify recoil using energy (ft-lbs)? The alternative would be to actually calculate momentum and compare that.

Sorry but no idea if there is a similarity of muzzle energy and recoil when compared that way. Muzzle energy of my 153 load is 2447 ft/lbs and energy of my 140 ELD factory ammo is 2525 ft/lbs so they aren't far off.

Sorry but no idea if there is a similarity of muzzle energy and recoil when compared that way. Muzzle energy of my 153 load is 2447 ft/lbs and energy of my 140 ELD factory ammo is 2525 ft/lbs so they aren't far off.
I just calculated momentum (because I couldn’t not lol) and the difference was 6.6 ft-lbs. a tad over 10% difference (51 vs 57)
Again, I have no way to compare with real world recoil. 140 vs 147 is as close as I go and I haven’t noticed a difference there.

Reactions: Rob01
I also cannot answer that, however, it lines up with why my 142smk seems to be more difficult to control recoil.

At the muzzle:
153.5 LRHT 2650fps 2401 ft/lbs
142 SMK 2830fps 2525 ft/lbs

I am currently running 43.5 grains 555 with large primer lapua, and BR 2 (or whatever the large bench rest primer is) at 2.875 col, both 140 ELDM and 140 bthp. I also am coating bullets with hBn. If you follow this charge etc it’s all on your responsibility.

very nice! I also like N540 as it is my 2nd choice (strictly subjective) behind N555.
I don’t shoot 129, but I have shot 123 ELDM and used 40 grains of N540 at 2.8 col.
Otherwise I am all in on 140 grain with a side of 147’s .
I quashed my trip to the range until Friday or next week one day. We had a good amount of rain Monday-Tuesday and a stiff breeze as well after the system passed. Add to that I am lazy and it’s postponed LOL will post some picks of groups at 200 yds after I run. Looking to confirm and adjust settings for GRT. Using hBn has been a pain trying to get settings right. That initial pressure setting is how I am accounting for the hBn even though there is more involved.

I normally Don't shoot 129 gr. ,however Hornady supplied those ,so I being Me had to try them and truthfully can see those working well out to 500 yd. for medium size game . I normally shoot 140 ,143 gr. out of MY 6.5CM ,however having a lions share of major brands of bullets in near all flavors and weights I see No reason not to experiment ;) . I do get plenty of left over stock and thus allows Me to pick what works best in MY weapons.
Wind Rain is settling back in for another few days it appears ,so inside the pistol shed as I'm gonna setup a recently purchased Labrador which is now MY own . I'm curious as how it functions relative to old Oehler 35 ?. Also I'll be returning a borrowed unit I've been using back to the owner .

Out of curiosity are You coating inside the neck W/hBn or the entire bullet ?.

I normally Don't shoot 129 gr. ,however Hornady supplied those ,so I being Me had to try them and truthfully can see those working well out to 500 yd. for medium size game . I normally shoot 140 ,143 gr. out of MY 6.5CM ,however having a lions share of major brands of bullets in near all flavors and weights I see No reason not to experiment ;) . I do get plenty of left over stock and thus allows Me to pick what works best in MY weapons.
Wind Rain is settling back in for another few days it appears ,so inside the pistol shed as I'm gonna setup a recently purchased Labrador which is now MY own . I'm curious as how it functions relative to old Oehler 35 ?. Also I'll be returning a borrowed unit I've been using back to the owner .

Out of curiosity are You coating inside the neck W/hBn or the entire bullet ?.
I love to experiment with different components.
Regarding coating, I coat the entire bullet. I place 50-100 bullets inside a container along with 1/8 tsp of the hBn and run in my tumbler for about an hour.
Less friction in the barrel, easier cleanup (almost nothing to clean) The main drawback is reduced velocity. But you can bump up charge a tad to get it back. My 224, after over 1k rounds, looked more like a new barrel than one with 1k rounds through it. The hBn is .5 micron size and exceedingly fine. After the tumbling I wipe the bullets and they still are slick as greased owl sh_t. Been using that for something over 6 or 7 years.

I love to experiment with different components.
Regarding coating, I coat the entire bullet. I place 50-100 bullets inside a container along with 1/8 tsp of the hBn and run in my tumbler for about an hour.
Less friction in the barrel, easier cleanup (almost nothing to clean) The main drawback is reduced velocity. But you can bump up charge a tad to get it back. My 224, after over 1k rounds, looked more like a new barrel than one with 1k rounds through it. The hBn is .5 micron size and exceedingly fine. After the tumbling I wipe the bullets and they still are slick as greased owl sh_t. Been using that for something over 6 or 7 years.

Have you ever just swabbed inside neck with hBn ,as opposed to rolling them into powder ?. Excellent Lube without near the velocity loss .
I know a couple of guys who do their bores ,with a caliber specific swab , I've never tried that one .
Now once the rain wind storm passes us ,a trip to the lumber yard and build a Bigger Better bench . I came to the realization mine ISN'T cutting it., too small can't put everything I need on it . Besides I need to do a gravel stepping stone foundation under the area ,so might as well just do it .

I should have made #2 of the inside pistol sheds shooting bench but wanted something semi portable ,piss on that idea now . :(

Have you ever just swabbed inside neck with hBn ,as opposed to rolling them into powder ?. Excellent Lube without near the velocity loss .
I know a couple of guys who do their bores ,with a caliber specific swab , I've never tried that one .
Now once the rain wind storm passes us ,a trip to the lumber yard and build a Bigger Better bench . I came to the realization mine ISN'T cutting it., too small can't put everything I need on it . Besides I need to do a gravel stepping stone foundation under the area ,so might as well just do it .

I should have made #2 of the inside pistol sheds shooting bench but wanted something semi portable ,piss on that idea now . :(
No, I have not tried that with the hBn, but I have tried it with graphite. Couldn’t tell any difference shooting-wise. I may give it a try with the hex boron next time I reload. The new bench sounds like a fun project. Good luck with that!

For HbN bullet / BBl. treatments to get the full benefits of HbN you must start with a squeaky clean bore and bullets free of processing oils. When the bore is clean, mix some HbN with 99% alcohol [lesser % contains H2O] and swab the bore with this mix. repeat several times.
As to bullets , wash in Dawn and allow to dry. For rotary type tumblers , I've found that containers that fit 90* to the rotating axis work best for me.
"A picture is worth a thousand words". There are several U Tube videos on this subject.

For HbN bullet / BBl. treatments to get the full benefits of HbN you must start with a squeaky clean bore and bullets free of processing oils. When the bore is clean, mix some HbN with 99% alcohol [lesser % contains H2O] and swab the bore with this mix. repeat several times.
As to bullets , wash in Dawn and allow to dry. For rotary type tumblers , I've found that containers that fit 90* to the rotating axis work best for me.
"A picture is worth a thousand words". There are several U Tube videos on this subject.
I have found swabbing the barrel unnecessary. The process involves wiping the bullets after application, does it not? They are almost too slick after wiping to hold. Secondly, as you shoot treated bullets the hBn will be deposited normally in the bore.
Lastly, what is there to control the level of application in the bore and how much is too much?

I relate swabbing / not swabbing to painting a piece of metal, if you don't start with a clean surface you are not doing much to protect or coat the metal.
How much is to much, run the mop across your palm , if the liquid runs , then the mop is to wet , run it across the containers top to remove any excess.
What I do is run the mop in and out of the bore, then let it set while I tend to other chores ,come back in an Hr.or so and repeat the in an out and I'm through.
As to the bullets, after tumbling them in containers with BB's, I dump them into a colander to separate, then dump the bullets into a towel , then into either the OME box or a small container that fits on the shelves in my reloading room
Don't know for sure , but after the pores in the bore are full any excess should be blown out the muzzle.
I feel like using HbN comes under the classification , " If you think it works , then is does".

I relate swabbing / not swabbing to painting a piece of metal, if you don't start with a clean surface you are not doing much to protect or coat the metal.
How much is to much, run the mop across your palm , if the liquid runs , then the mop is to wet , run it across the containers top to remove any excess.
What I do is run the mop in and out of the bore, then let it set while I tend to other chores ,come back in an Hr.or so and repeat the in an out and I'm through.
As to the bullets, after tumbling them in containers with BB's, I dump them into a colander to separate, then dump the bullets into a towel , then into either the OME box or a small container that fits on the shelves in my reloading room
Don't know for sure , but after the pores in the bore are full any excess should be blown out the muzzle.
I feel like using HbN comes under the classification , " If you think it works , then is does".
I know some do the swabbing, and I have no strong feelings one way or the other. However, we are talking about the bore and not the exterior of a ship subject to heavy rusting.
You first paragraph makes an assumption that is incorrect. It is known that simply shooting coated bullets through the barrel applies the hBn to the bore. I was not talking about applying hBn to a dirty bore (assuming I understand what you described) but the simple act of shooting will transfer some of the hBn to the bore. Specially given that you are supposed to wipe off excess before you even seat the bullets. And this is after tumbling for a period of time. Due to possible buildup on the front of the chamber this is highly recommended (wiping excess).
Anyways, it most likely matters not whether you swab or not. As a personal preference I do not.
A salute to you, Old Corp.
Meanwhile, have you heard that the US Navy is like Uber but for marines 🤣

Last edited:
Boiling de-ionized water is a better solvent for hBn and swabbing the bore #2-3 times from chamber too Muzzle should be sufficient . I would suggest a swab mop under bore size ,as opposed to actual bore size . You can coat your chamber as well ,as it minimizes Copper & Carbon fouling build up . I'd use a Jag and several cotton patches with Acetone followed by a bore specific mop with Acetone to initially clean your bore prior to coating . Just a suggestion .

Remember what hBn is and how it protects your bore ,it's a barrier or boundary coating not some scratch resistant miracle coating

Have you shot enough of the 153g atips to say it has noticeably more splash or not over the lighter bullets?

I shot out in a muddy field the other day with 180g Bergers from my 308 and the additional splash really helped over the 6.5 140elds.

Have you shot enough of the 153g atips to say it has noticeably more splash or not over the lighter bullets?

I shot out in a muddy field the other day with 180g Bergers from my 308 and the additional splash really helped over the 6.5 140elds.

Not yet but they did throw up some good splash in a wet berm at 1274 yards in the first match I shot them in and allowed a correction. Not sure you would have saw a 6mm but not sure if it would have been more than a 140.

I recently just for sheets n grins ran a mag with 4 different factory rounds in it, 2ea. the 130's hit about 1-2" higher poi than 140-143-147's, at yrd 100-400ish. All "felt" about the same report and recoil wise.