• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 creedmore questions

goody

love to hunt
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2013
ny
sorry if this is a repeat thread,,i,m new to the site. I,ve been reading on the 18.5 creedmore thread and the velocities. I have a 26" douglas barrel on a 700 action. I,ve just started to work up something that will shoot. I mainly shoot 200-300 yrd shoots locally.2550-2570fps seems to be where my first decent loads are at 100yrds with 140 a-max,s and h-4350. I,m not a professional at reloading and would like all the input on this round I can get. 39.5 grains of h-4350 with a seating depth of 2.810 to 2.820 is what seems to shoot off the get go. ,,break in should be complete now. . oal for my chamber with the a max 140,s is 2.855 I believe. I,ll take all the help u can give. thx,,,dan

sorry if this is a repeat thread,,i,m new to the site. I,ve been reading on the 18.5 creedmore thread and the velocities. I have a 26" douglas barrel on a 700 action. I,ve just started to work up something that will shoot. I mainly shoot 200-300 yrd shoots locally.2550-2570fps seems to be where my first decent loads are at 100yrds with 140 a-max,s and h-4350. I,m not a professional at reloading and would like all the input on this round I can get. 39.5 grains of h-4350 with a seating depth of 2.810 to 2.820 is what seems to shoot off the get go. ,,break in should be complete now. . oal for my chamber with the a max 140,s is 2.855 I believe. I,ll take all the help u can give. thx,,,dan
also,, if I seat longer should I add more powder to compensate for the reduced case volume as I get longer?

Rifle shots nice as is, a little slower than what is possible but you're only shooting to 300 yards...more speed will wear your barrel faster for zero benefit.

Seating the bullet out farther will indeed require more powder, to a point. As the bullet jump gets small or non existent, you have to back off on powder.

Last edited:
If you are happy with what the load does at 300 and that is your max range then stick with and just go shoot. After your first 1000 rounds you will be much better at reloading and can then start to look for a faster load as you increase your distance.

With that OAL my rifle liked 41.4-41.6. there are some other guys on here shooting around 42.5, but I am not sure of there oak.

I have only taken mine to 500 hundred so far. I hope to go 800 in a couple of weeks. I am currently working on a load for 140 SMK's.

I honestly don't know yet. I have never checked my rifle with an Amax. They got to hard to find so I switched to SMK's. I never finished developing the Amax load. I am going check length on the SMK this week. I am not sure how far they will go. My first set I loaded @ 2.735.

I loaded the Amax's @ 2.810. My rifle was .5 moa or better with that load.

I just began playing with 6.5CM load development, but here's what I got:

140gr Hornady A-max
38.0gr H4350
2.820" COL
26" barrel - 2.841" max COL with mine (doubt that will fit in my mags)

avg 2593 fps

Gives me 0.70MoA or better, even with serious mirage

40gr H4350 is giving me as good as 0.30MoA with no mirage, and 0.60MoA with mirage

Last edited:
With a 26" barrel those loads are slow. You are not taking advantage of the round. I am at 2810 with the 142 smk and 42.7 grains of H4350. I went all the way up to 43.6 befor seeing pressure. Work your way up to be safe.

I am shooting a 24" barrel and started to see ejector marks on the back of the case at 42.1 and there was a noticeable amount more effort to extract the casing. It's was with 149 SMK's is the difference in the design that could be causing increased pressure?

thx for the input. I,m goin up some in powder next time out but, I don't care how fast it is for 300 yrds as long as its consistant and accurate for paper punching. keep the input coming. I appreciate it.