• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 grendel AA upper

Duff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
Laramie, Wyoming
have an AR back home i use for national match stuff. been thinking of getting a 24" AA grendel overwatch upper with the shilen in it. mostly to reach a bit further out there for fun and some longer range hunting. just got up to Wyoming for college. plenty of speed goat and coyotes to pop. might be a while before i get the money to start piecing together the whole package. just looking on any input on the 6.5 grendel uppers. seen and heard a lot of good things on the internet about the AA uppers. just wondering if this is the best/most cost effective way to go.

Re: 6.5 grendel AA upper

www.65grendel.com has more than enough info to occupy your time till Xmas. I have three Grendel uppers, each different and kind of purpose specific, but all capable of standing on their own feet, as well. AA has great quality, Templar Consulting, JP, Les Baer, Precision Firearms all have good reps. Key to a good Grendel is barrel and properly fit bolt. Satern, Shilen, Lilja, Bartlein and AA, of course, all make excellent cut or button barrels. There is a custom google search engine on 65grendel forum that is extremely useful. Be aware, most barrel makers and builders have 2-6 month lead time with growing demand for this cartridge. Good luck with the build.

the 6.5 grendel is simply an outstanding caliber, I am sure you will like it everytime you pull the trigger on whatever upper you are using.
cheers.

I have a 22" barreled 6.5 grendel upper that I absolutely love. I am in the process of finding me one with a 16-18" barrel as well. Really want a 16" to go along with my 22" upper. I could use it for a more specific type of hunting gun but I really love the caliber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drakeky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 22" barreled 6.5 grendel upper that I absolutely love. I am in the process of finding me one with a 16-18" barrel as well. Really want a 16" to go along with my 22" upper. I could use it for a more specific type of hunting gun but I really love the caliber. </div></div>
Alexander arms makes a 16" i think. i know for sure they make 18". but they are usually a bit pricey but a value from what ive heard.

Theres a lot of less expensive options out there other than AA, if you want to piece yourself a clone in 264lbc or 6.5CSS. Run a BHW 18 inch 1/8 twist mid-lenght that shoots lights out, AR15 Performance also sells decent barrels at a reasonable price.

I haven't seen anyone beat AA's pricing on barrels yet. A 16" lite barrel is currently $195.

I got my barrel/bolt combo for $269 back in 2009.

AA makes 14.5", 16", 18", 20", and 24" lengths.

AA 6.5 Barrels

I've got a 24" and a 16", both Les Baer. Super accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adrenaline junkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does AA use 9/16 threads? Arent 5/8 muzzle devices more common, and leave a little more material in the barrel? </div></div>

Those 9/16 threads are what would turn me off of an AA barrel. I would rather buy a barrel ready to go, rather than have to send an AA barrel off to be rethreaded to the PROPER thread size. Going 9/16 was stupid on their part. I wonder what their reasoning was?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adrenaline junkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does AA use 9/16 threads? Arent 5/8 muzzle devices more common, and leave a little more material in the barrel? </div></div>

Those 9/16 threads are what would turn me off of an AA barrel. I would rather buy a barrel ready to go, rather than have to send an AA barrel off to be rethreaded to the PROPER thread size. Going 9/16 was stupid on their part. I wonder what their reasoning was? </div></div>

I wondered the same thing.

The reasoning was for the lighter fore end diameters to be able to have enough shoulder area for the crush washer and flash suppressor, like the FAL, and still go with a .750" gas block journal. Back when the Grendel was being developed, the AWB was still in effect, so there wasn't really a bigger bore standard, unless you counted the FAL.

I have a 5/8x24 threaded 5.56 barrel from ARP, and there is hardly any shoulder, so I can see the reasoning behind it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRRPF52</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adrenaline junkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does AA use 9/16 threads? Arent 5/8 muzzle devices more common, and leave a little more material in the barrel? </div></div>

Those 9/16 threads are what would turn me off of an AA barrel. I would rather buy a barrel ready to go, rather than have to send an AA barrel off to be rethreaded to the PROPER thread size. Going 9/16 was stupid on their part. I wonder what their reasoning was? </div></div>

I wondered the same thing.

The reasoning was for the lighter fore end diameters to be able to have enough shoulder area for the crush washer and flash suppressor, like the FAL, and still go with a .750" gas block journal. Back when the Grendel was being developed, the AWB was still in effect, so there wasn't really a bigger bore standard, unless you counted the FAL.

I have a 5/8x24 threaded 5.56 barrel from ARP, and there is hardly any shoulder, so I can see the reasoning behind it. </div></div>

Thank you sir, that makes sense. I suppose a simple solution would be to have a good adapter made and turned to match the barrel contour then permanently lock-tite it in place.

403622117.jpg

403622115.jpg

405025498.jpg

Grendel will soon be my go to hunting round. 5.56 is fine, and we have killed most of the hogs out of 370 plus this past year with a 5.56, but the Grendel is king when dealing with a light carry rifle of similar weight.

As for the adapter, the rifle in the pic had an adapter for 5/8x24.I had to extend the adapter as the threads were too close if I overlapped them.

Now the barrel is slightly shorter with 5/8x24 threads.

I will gladly do a group buy on Grendel uppers. Need 25 orders and I will use Lothar Walther barrels cut to the specs we agree on.

been doing some more research and looking around and all that. seems AA has some mixed reviews. not many people say if they have the shilen or not. thinking i might just custom build an upper from parts. any words on the satern barrels? heard a lot of good things about them but want to get yalls opinion before i suck it up and go for the $550 price tag.

been doing some more research and looking around and all that. seems AA has some mixed reviews. not many people say if they have the shilen or not. thinking i might just custom build an upper from parts. any words on the satern barrels? heard a lot of good things about them but want to get yalls opinion before i suck it up and go for the $550 price tag.

I will gladly do a group buy on Grendel uppers. Need 25 orders and I will use Lothar Walther barrels cut to the specs we agree on.

[/quote]

I'd be in for a Grendel Upper,

My AA Grendel upper easily shoots sub-moa. It's a 19.5" AWS with the AA barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalebDuff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">been doing some more research and looking around and all that. seems AA has some mixed reviews. not many people say if they have the shilen or not. thinking i might just custom build an upper from parts. any words on the satern barrels? heard a lot of good things about them but want to get yalls opinion before i suck it up and go for the $550 price tag.</div></div>

I have a Satern bbl. Grendel. Good fucking luck getting one in this lifetime, and Mr. Satern isn't getting any younger either. I built my rifle using a 20"bbl and all quality parts. Shoots .33MOA. I have to say, and I've been fucking with AR's most of my life, that this one is the pinnacle of AR technology. There just isn't a better round you can pack in it. At close range it is more than 5.56, and no shit, at very long range it surpasses 7.62! The BC of that bullet makes it just amazing, and that is why it is tops.

Mr. Alexander is a good guy too, and he doesn't like to put out junk. The company that has the major share though, they are douchebags. They almost killed the Grendel with their greedy "lets make it a proprietary cartridge" scheme.

The brass he sells is either from Hornady or Lapua, your pick. He generally has sales if you are on his list and I got a bunch of Lapua brass for around $50-60 per hundred last year.

According to Bill, I think it is either the 120 Berger or 120 Nosler that is the best all around. I forget which one he said, it was a year or two since we talked. Also, recommendations from him regarding barrel length is such: if you want compact and light, go 14.5 or 16. If you want long range performance, go 22". According to him, the step in velocity per inch isn't that much between them, and so there really isn't a reason to go with in between'ers. Though I love my 20, it is my favorite tube by FAR.

Go Grendel and you won't want 5.56 anymore. In fact, during all the crap of late, I was able to easily stock up on about 50 Grendel mags. They just didn't sell out so fast.

For hogs at close range, look at that .50 Beowulf. I tested that in the army for him and it was amazing at close range, around 100m-150m give or take, and under. Kicks like a 12ga. Penetration is just spectacular.

ended up putting in an order to specialized dynamics for a .264lbc rifle. will hopefully end up to be right around 1300-1600 after dros and custom options. figured if i was going to end up paying 1100 for the options i want on an AA upper and then probably switch out the forearm and all that i might as well buy a full rifle for hopefully just a bit more. the owner seems like a great guy and i think they are an awesome company idea.