• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5 Grendel AR15...

Re: 6.5 Grendel AR15...

<span style="color: #003300"><span style="font-weight: bold">For those Midwesterners looking for Precision Rifle/Sniper courses, check out Impact Training Group @ www.nawttc.com!</span></span>

ugashikbob, how on earth did u fit 30grs of IMR 4895 into a grendel cartridge? I'd also be interested in knowing what kind of mv and pressure u got out of that load. I've been checking on load data and have been advised to 30grs is too much! I loaded some with 26.5grs, nut haven't got to shoot em yet. Also note that I'm only shooting 120gr Noslers.

I have been thinking of trying a grendel upper. How do you guys like the round?

For what it's worth, I chatted with a representative from Privi Partisan (manufacturer for the Wolf Gold line of Grendel ammo) this week at the Shot Show. He indicated that there is a container load of Grendel ammunition sitting in a dock waiting to be released. Based on his visible expression of disgust at bureaucracy, I'm inclined to believe he is telling the truth.

The Hornady reps were also positive about the Grendel, but I can't remember specifics. Likewise, Les Baer is very optimistic about the 264 LBC. There are no signs of the mythical 6.5 Grendel polymer magazine that was discussed a number of months ago on the (now defunct) 6.5 Grendel Forum.

--Rootshot

<span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">Scope out this thread plus the various links and I'm sure you'll agree it's a round that optimizes the AR15 platform!</span></span>

I understand that the 123grn is the standard for long range. Have any of you shot this out to 1k? If so, how many minutes of elevation does it take? I am just wanted a comparison to a 308.

Ive been really contemplating doing a 6.5 grendal upper as well. I have shot a couple at our range here. One guy with Sabre defense had several custom rifles and I was very impressed with the round

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been thinking of trying a grendel upper. How do you guys like the round? </div></div>

If you're looking for a much pertformance as can be had from an AR, the Grendel rules.

I dig it. First time out with the rifle, I was banging steel at 700 yards. And it was also my first time shooting any further than 300 yards.

It's only drawback is that you almost have to reload for it. Ammo is few and far between.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand that the 123grn is the standard for long range. Have any of you shot this out to 1k? If so, how many minutes of elevation does it take? I am just wanted a comparison to a 308. </div></div>

I have NOT shot out to 1000 with it (yet).

At 700 yards, I was 5.9 mils up from a 100 yard zero. My ballistics program shows 11 mils to 1000.

Here's a pic of mine. I know the grip looks dumb, it's for a different rifle just stuck it on for the fun of it.

Sabre Defense 24" Heavy Barrel, Sundevil Billet upper and lower. PRS stock in the mail to me...

IMG_0915.jpg

I reload for everything I shoot,so that wouldn't be a problem. I cant remember the formula to convert mils to minutes, but I think that is somewhere around seventeen minutes. If that is right it sounds pretty good.

Does the grendel still use the standard mag.or does it take a different one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the grendel still use the standard mag.or does it take a different one? </div></div>

People have gotten .223 mags to work by doing something to the feed lips, but it's spotty at best. You'll need new mags.

Get C-Products (blue follower). Not expensive and very reliable. Comes in 5, 10, 17, and 26 round mags.

No pmags for them yet.

Are you guys building your own uppers or are you buying them complete?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you guys building your own uppers or are you buying them complete? </div></div>

To the looks of things, its looks like most people are buidling their Grendel uppers since is not to much of a selection of complete uppers around.

I always went with the choice of building my own upper nomatter what caliber I was choosing to build.

The following warning from JP made me think twice about building:

http://jprifles.com/1.4.1_barrel.php
"While we do offer the high performance 6.5 Grendel® chambering in our complete rifles such as the CTR-02 and the JP-15, it is not offered as a stand-alone barrel kit or raw barrel. Due to the extreme performance nature of the cartridge, we prefer to offer that option only on rifles that we build."

I'm not sure if there is any real safety concern underlying this statement.

--Rootshot

I hate to say something negative about a company especially as new as I am here, and a very respectable company, but to me that sounds more like marketing and trying to sell rifles.

Then if I build my own, would the dpms os rra upper be o.k.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rootshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The following warning from JP made me think twice about building:

http://jprifles.com/1.4.1_barrel.php
"While we do offer the high performance 6.5 Grendel® chambering in our complete rifles such as the CTR-02 and the JP-15, it is not offered as a stand-alone barrel kit or raw barrel. Due to the extreme performance nature of the cartridge, we prefer to offer that option only on rifles that we build."

I'm not sure if there is any real safety concern underlying this statement.

--Rootshot </div></div>

It doesn't sound at all like a safety issue, but a "we want to take you for more money" issue. That they are so impressed with the caliber (rightfully so), they don't want to lose out by selling just a barrel.

That or they feel like in order to get the performance desired, that it needs to be built by them (which is bullshit).

You can get an Alexander Arms upper.

All high quality parts, and accurate out of the box.

For what it's worth, I have uppers from both Alexander Arms and from JP.

JP had terrible feeding problems that required a trip back to the shop. AA had an out-of-spec extractor that I had to have them replace. I can't tell you how much time and how many bullets were wasted messing with these guns.

In my experience, when the Grendel runs, its a beautiful beast. Good luck trying to diagnose failures when it's not running as desired. Buying a complete upper at least allows you to hold one company accountable.

Both rifles are running 100% now, so I'm happy and trying to forget my painful experiences with them.

--Rootshot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then if I build my own, would the dpms os rra upper be o.k. </div></div>

YES.!
Any .223/5.56 upper will work for the Grendel. just get a 6.5 Grendel bolt, barrel and mags and your set. These are the only things you need to change.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then if I build my own, would the dpms os rra upper be o.k. </div></div>

YES.!
Any .223/5.56 upper will work for the Grendel. just get a 6.5 Grendel bolt, barrel and mags and your set. These are the only things you need to change. </div></div>

That.

And your low expectations of what an AR 15 can do at distance. The Grendel will blow your mind, man!!
laugh.gif

Which do you think the best barrel,the AA or sabre? I think I would want a 24" barrel so what twist?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you guys building your own uppers or are you buying them complete? </div></div>

With a little googling; you will find several providers of 6.5G uppers. I built my own, and will offer some tips. YMMV.

To take advantage of the longer range ability of the Grendel, you will need a good, stiff, upper receiver and a quality barrel. Around 18 inches would be my minimum and I'm currently using a 22 incher. My barrel(s) came chambered, barrel extension in place and with a fitted bolt. Many Grendel owners use the JP adjustible gas block because some barrel providers over gas them.

How do I like the rifle? Love it! Handles 100gr. to 130 gr bullets well, and provided that you don't hot rod it, most loads prove very accurate in a good barrel.

My max range, so far, has been 600 yards and when I do my part, has held minute of angle or less with 120SMK and 123 Lapua bullets.

A rule of thumb provided to me by a 6.5G forum member has proven to be very close: Using 120SMK @ 2600fps

100yrds 0
200 +2moa
300 3-1 +2 (The 3-1 is yards in hundreds - 1)
400 4-1 +3
500 5-1 +4
600 6-1 +5 (Total of +16 moa @ 600)

Again this is a rule of thumb that has worked with MY rifle combo. YMMV

And also, I have not been here on the hide for too long but have found so much good info from guys that are willing to help a new member. Thanks for all the help.

<span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">Sabre Defence upper/DSArms lower. I prefer to shop locally (Illinois) if possible, so for a lower, go DSArms or Rock River Arms!</span></span>

I had heard of the grendel a few years ago, but I have learned much about it recently. It seems like it is coming on strong now and finding myself looking for the right components to build my own. Thanks for all the good info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which do you think the best barrel,the AA or sabre? I think I would want a 24" barrel so what twist? </div></div>

Neither. Satern is the best Grendel barrel. One of the nicest AR barrels you will see anywhere - and I have owned Noveskes and Kriegers.

Do any of you guys use your grendel for hunting, or just precision shooting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do any of you guys use your grendel for hunting, or just precision shooting? </div></div>

I don't use it for hunting (mt rig is too damn heavy), but if I had a lighter weight one, I would ABSOLUTELY use it. The 120 Nosler BT rounds are reportedly tits on deer.

I use 14.5 and 16" builds for hunting varmints,hogs and deer thus far---use 20 and 24" heavies when setting up a blind

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do any of you guys use your grendel for hunting, or just precision shooting? </div></div>

Yes. My 22" JP Upper with Magpul PRS was a pain to haul around for hunting. It did a fine job on a hog with Barnes 120gr TSX bullets. I bought a 16" Alexander Arms upper for hunting. It gives up a little on velocity and accuracy, but is easy to haul around.

--Rootshot

Mine is too heavy to be a "hunting rifle," but if I feel like filling the freezer it'll sure get it done. Filled this doe tag at 430 yds:

PICT0109.JPG

I have a 6.5 Grendel rifle made by Les Baer. I think it is now marketed as their "Super Varmint Model .264 LBC-AR". Naturally .264 LBC-AR is a rip-off of 6.5 Grendel, though that is beside the point. Great rifle, I've taken it out to 700-900 yards with damn decent accuracy. I was able to consistently hit a 8" diameter scuba tank at 700. Weird metric I know, but it is what it is. The range I shoot at has a half tank hanging at 700...it works. I've also used it as a coyote gun at about 400, never failed me. It's a bit big for varmints, sub 400 I vastly prefer .22-250, past that I go for 6.5x284. Mostly for the explosion
smile.gif
I'd take this gun with me to hunt deer without a doubt. Fantastic round, as far as I'm concerned, though I'm a bit biased; I haven't shot much in the .30cal range past 400. Mostly stick to 6.5-7mm. Grew up on a .270, what can I say. 2c.

My 18" build will be used for hunting and long distance target.

I thought when I build mine I might use it some for coyotes also,that is all we can hunt with a rifle here in the Republic of IL.

<span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">Nice platform!!!
That looks like a SABRE DEFENCE barrel, similiar to the one I have. What do you think of it???</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Wray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[color:#333300]F.Y.I.
Hornady and the 6.5 Grendel...
</div></div>

+1
Hornady has done a real good job w/ the 123gr AMax and their factory-loaded ammo. Kudos to them.

<span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">I get a kick out of the common folk who determine their choice of a firearm based on the abundance/availability of a particular factory load.

My feeling...
If there's a DEMAND, there'll always be a SUPPLY!

So, unless your "serving" or "in the line of duty",
GO FOR IT and get what you like!!!</span></span>