• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6.5 Grendel barrel BA vs Faxon **Update** bought a BSF

JS624

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2014
Washington
Hey guys lookiing to switch my 223 ar15 to a 6.5 Grendel.
narrowed it down to the ballistic advantage 20" fluted and the Faxon firearms 20" fluted.
both are very similar just wondering if you guys have experience with either.
thanks

Both guarantee 1 moa or better I believe.
was just hoping for some 1st hand experience

This was with a 20” Faxon. I’m still trying to learn how to drive a gas gun.

Attachments

• photo78235.jpg
    photo78235.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 49
  • photo78236.jpg
    photo78236.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 50
  • photo78237.jpg
    photo78237.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 43
I'd say AR Performance or Columbia River Arms/Black Hole Weaponry are going to give you better accuracy for the money without a doubt.

Are your goals with barrel tied to budget, with max accuracy per $$ spent? Or looking for max accuracy, regardless? Whatever you do, get a properly headspaced bolt to go with it. JP and Lilja both very good, JP includes bolt-but both $250 more than where you’’re looking. And of course, a custom turned Bartlein might be top of the list, if funds and time available. Based on a hunch, think Padom might have a project tied to some inexpensive Wilson barrels he has pretty high regard for-but again, just a hunch.

Last edited:
Are your goals with barrel tied to budget, with max accuracy per $$ spent? Or looking for max accuracy, regardless? Whatever you do, get a properly headspaced bolt to go with it. JP and Lilja both very good, JP includes bolt-but both $250 more than where you’’re looking. And of course, a custom turned Bartlein might be top of the list, if funds and time available. Based on a hunch, think Padom might have a project tied to some inexpensive Wilson barrels he has pretty high regard for-but again, just a hunch.

So I actually ended up buying a BSF carbon fiber wrapped barrel. And the jp enhanced bolt

Rainer just put these barrels on sale for BF, so I grabbed one after another disappointing day with the LaRue barrel.

Rainer just put these barrels on sale for BF, so I grabbed one after another disappointing day with the LaRue barrel.

I still haven't shot mine yet but they were on for 50% off for apex members.
so I bought 2 one for me and one for a friend.
I should have my build done in 2 or 3 weeks.
share your results if you get yours together b4 me

I keep hearing the Larue build kit is a really good deal, are the barrels not shooting as well as expected?

Dave

There is a long thread over at ARF.com where it looks like there is only a minority of people who are getting consistent .5" groups at 100 yrd with factory ammo. Most are shooting 3 rounds, which is not as good of an indicator as 5 rds. When people post 5 round groups, they are more like 1" or worse.

There is a long thread over at ARF.com where it looks like there is only a minority of people who are getting consistent .5" groups at 100 yrd with factory ammo. Most are shooting 3 rounds, which is not as good of an indicator as 5 rds. When people post 5 round groups, they are more like 1" or worse.

Yeah if I have to change the barrel the build kit is no longer a good deal, I'd be into it for building exactly what I want on Mega receivers.

Add me to the BSF barrel bandwagon, I've been looking to try a CF barrel, and the price from Rainier's is too good to pass up. Looks like I'm building another AR.

Dave

I looked at PVA website and didn't find any AR barrels?
Do you have a rough price for their 6.5 Grendel barrels?

I looked at PVA website and didn't find any AR barrels?
Do you have a rough price for their 6.5 Grendel barrels?

I spoke to Josh the other day about this and he said he had the above mentioned barrels in stock ready to spin up in 6.5 Grendel. With muzzle threads he's cheaper than what Kreiger charging....

Still waiting on parts. So I can go shoot my BSF...
I beleive my XLR buttstock is lost in the mail

This has been my experience, as well. With my 6.5 CM HCR, I shoot 5-shot groups consistently under 1 MOA, often .5-.6, and .4 occasionally (about twice per range trip).

With the Odin Works barrel on the Grendel, I shoot 5-shot consistently just under 1 MOA and occasionally .7. My 3-shot groups are consistently .6-.8, and occasionally .5.

I’m going to turn off the gas the next time I go to the range with the Grendel, but I’m more interested in setting up a Howa mini action on an MDT chassis and evaluating that first.

C

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shot with a Faxon 20” heavy fluted today and got a few decent groups under 1” with Alex Arms 123 Scenar, and with 28.2 of AR Comp and 123 Scenars. Not as consistent as I hoped, but may with tighten with using once fired brass. Hornady 123 ELD factory shot like crap. I think this barrel or the 18” version would be best for low volume target or hunting. The fluting is prevelant, so it’s pretty light weight and balances nicely. The BFS arrived, so I am going switch it out with the Faxon in the next week or so.

Shot with a Faxon 20” heavy fluted today and got a few decent groups under 1” with Alex Arms 123 Scenar, and with 28.2 of AR Comp and 123 Scenars. Not as consistent as I hoped, but may with tighten with using once fired brass. Hornady 123 ELD factory shot like crap. I think this barrel or the 18” version would be best for low volume target or hunting. The fluting is prevelant, so it’s pretty light weight and balances nicely. The BFS arrived, so I am going switch it out with the Faxon in the next week or so.

I’ve had my best results (100-300 yards) in both Creedmoor and Grendel using 120-123 gn Scenars and Berger Boat Tail Target bullets (there’s only POI difference in my results between those bullets at the same weight—same speeds, same SD, same group sizes).

I’ve also seen both groups and the standard deviation of velocity tighten up by using once-fired (full-length resized) and neck-sized new brass. In fact, I’ve seen no difference between those, so I attribute the big change in SD (from 60-70 down to 9-15) to consistent neck tension.

I’ve never fired factory ammo in my Grendel, so I can’t speak to whether I’m getting better results there. However I’ve yet to find a Hornady hand load (in 6.5 CM, 6.5 Grendel, or .308) that I like as well as the Lapua/Berger loads. I think that’s more because I haven’t put the time into load development, though, because the match ELD stuff I’ve purchased from a local ammunition manufacturer (LoadX) was great stuff.

C

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UPDATE: Here are the best groups with AR Comp in the Faxon barrel:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4739\/38064948945_53c8d35400_m.jpg"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4520\/25079583608_febb88fffd_m.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I still like the Faxon barrel (fit and finish are top-notch), but after shooting the BSF and getting decent groups with Hornday ELD I'm going to keep the BSF for target shooting as I suspect I can work up a good load with 123 ELDs. I will get an 18" Faxon heavy-fluted down the road for hunting.

UPDATE: Here are the best groups with AR Comp in the Faxon barrel:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4739\/38064948945_53c8d35400_m.jpg"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4520\/25079583608_febb88fffd_m.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I still like the Faxon barrel (fit and finish are top-notch), but after shooting the BSF and getting decent groups with Hornday ELD I'm going to keep the BSF for target shooting as I suspect I can work up a good load with 123 ELDs. I will get an 18" Faxon heavy-fluted down the road for hunting.

What kinda groups with the BSF?