• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6.5 Grendel Range Report

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Here is my final, finished rifle. It started with an ACOG, but learned quickly it wasn't just any AR. Put on a Leupold 2.5-8x, but that didn't cut it either. So I topped it off with an SN3. Here is what I got:

bth_IMG_0304_zps06c11e97.jpg

bth_IMG_0303_zps1834d0b1.jpg

--20" Satern bbl. 1/8.75" w/bolt, Larue low profile .750" gas block, AAC Blackout FH.
    --USO SN3 TPAL 3.2-17x44mm mil/mil w/GAP reticle and push button illum.; USO rings and Larue QD riser (1.5"
    center). USO 2" sunshade/ARD and flip caps.
    --VLTOR MUR-1 upper w/FA. Noveske lower w/JP small parts and Geissele Hi-Speed trigger w/DMR springs.
    Magpul MIAD grip and standard milspec A2 buttstock w/QD sling socket. JP Ent. Full Mass Carrier.
    --KAC M5 FF rail w/covers, KAC micro flip sights, KAC bipod mount and Harris bipod. Troy sling socket. PRI
    Gasbuster charging handle. AAC SDN-6 suppressor. 1907 Leather MRT sling for shooting and a Vickers for
    carrying.

Loads tested today were the 120SMK with 31.4gr. BLC(2) @ 2.223" COL (avg.) for approx. 2500fps. and the 120gr. Nosler BT with 31.4gr. BLC(2) and 30.3gr. AA 2520 @ 2.249" COL (avg.) ea. for approx. 2475fps and 2520fps respectively. The SMK's, as usual, disappoint in my Grendel whereas they normally shine in other calibers. Average .5-.75MOA at 100m. Both Nosler loads yielded groups from .33-.5MOA, which is where this rifle has historically shot using (of all things) the 100gr. AMAX. Best group was 3 shots, .3" at 100m (shown above) using the suppressor, the bipod and a bag of lead under the stock and pressed against my shoulder/arm.

All in all, I'm glad this rifle is finished, it's been a long time in the making to get it to where it is now. With this new scope, accurate shots and adjustments are much easier. I suspect it will do well when I stretch it out in the desert (hopefully soon!). I do plan on using 123's and some 130's too, and experimenting to find the best bullet and the best load, as my twist rate would indicate those to be the most ideal weights given the formula, and not the 120's I used today.

This rifle has always been my favorite, but after today, I prize ever the more highly. I've got other AR's and a couple are decent shooters, but none are even close to the surgical precision this rifle is capable of. Definitely a keeper, I've already ordered another 2 barrels from Satern to replace this one with when it wears out.