• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel w/ new Lilja

reeljob

Pastor
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Galax, VA
As long as I've been a member here you would think I would heed my own and many others advice, "buy once cry once".
Having built five Grendel uppers, have just not been satisfied. Three of the Saterns shot under MOA, one BA shot under MOA, and took a chance on a BCA just to see what you really could get out of a complete $300 upper which was a MOA shooter. Then #5 with a Lilja 319 barrel and shazam! Sub moa finally with factory 123 amax.
Let the load development begin!

Attachments

• photo75334.jpg
    photo75334.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 27
Jake must be admiring your persistence, as am I. My results, however, do not mirror yours. Of 5 barrels from 5 different manufacturers, 4 shoot like that or better-and I've lost patience with my AA barrel, after multiple tries with loads and receivers. Grendel is an easy caliber to load for with both excellent accuracy and good SD/ES numbers. I do-seriously-admire you keeping with it, your efforts finally rewarded.

Yep..... It's like arguing with toddlers on here, you spend thousands of dollars and countless hours learning the hard way and you try to help people out and they still go out there and buy cheap barrels or half ass their builds, and when they can barely average 2 MOA they blame it on the cartridge.

It's awesome when you see people like the OP stick with it and when the Stars finally align, and you see how the 6.5G can easily produce .25 - .50 MOA.... it's like Christmas every day when you go to the range.

Messing around today with load development. Looks like the 3031 behind a 123 amax is the right combo.

Attachments

• photo75665.jpg
    photo75665.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 36
Have you tried 28.0grs of XBR??

It actually shoots better for me than the max load of 28.5 grains of XBR

Yes, load before the 3031 was 28.5 of 8208. I thought here is my load, less Than 1/2", then I shot the 3031. It will be one or the other, more testing on these two loads at distance.

What kind of speeds are you getting with the 3031 load?

Just checked it, little slow but very accurate! Took it to 600 this evening with no issue. Loaded up a sst same load, right at moa 200yards. The amax is a laser with the 3031. Here is a pict of todays target with various loads and distance.

Attachments

• photo75734.jpg
    photo75734.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 34
How did the Saterns compare with this here Lilja?? Ive heard Liljas are somewhat on the slow side quite often.. but very nice barrels otherwise! Some speculate that JP uses Lilja blanks but idk the validity of such claims..

If it's a new barrel, get a couple hundred rounds down the pipe and it will pick up speed, and a bit of accuracy.

How did the Saterns compare with this here Lilja?? Ive heard Liljas are somewhat on the slow side quite often.. but very nice barrels otherwise! Some speculate that JP uses Lilja blanks but idk the validity of such claims..

I have been very satisfied with the two Satern barrels I have had. I didn't try handloads in them, only factory Hornady amax loads. Both where 1/2-34" barrels.
This go around I wanted to try a Lilja. I've not heard the claim you have but I have heard JP barrels are great.