• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Thanks everyone for the input! Seems like most people think the 6.5 Creedmoor will do justice, I do not reload my own ammunition so it would definitely be the cheaper route.

Reactions: GetReal
Thanks everyone for the input! Seems like most people think the 6.5 Creedmoor will do justice, I do not reload my own ammunition so it would definitely be the cheaper route.

I'd say if you don't reload..... DEFINITELY 6.5 CM But don't let reloading scare ya. Far as safety goes, its just 4 compnents, 2 of them totally inert. Only powder and primer pose any "danger" at all.

And reloading can provide ya a lifetime of fun and challenge.

I'd say if you don't reload..... DEFINITELY 6.5 CM But don't let reloading scare ya. Far as safety goes, its just 4 compnents, 2 of them totally inert. Only powder and primer pose any "danger" at all.

And reloading can provide ya a lifetime of fun and challenge.
I would definitely like to start reloading sometime in the near future! There are definitely more factory ammunition choices available for the creedmoor since the PRC is still relatively new.

Reactions: GetReal
I can see this thread has gone totally bonkers. LOL Can the PRC give more velocity? Of course, it's a larger case. Does the OP need it for his uses? Doesn't sound like it from his post.

OP get the Creedmoor and go have fun.
I don't reload so a lot of those words are confusing LOL. I do however think the Creedmoor will be better suited for my purposes, more variety of available ammunition and significantly cheaper. Thanks for the input!

Yes, have both cartridge rifles but I rarely shoot PRC due to its cost and ammo selection.

I don't reload so a lot of those words are confusing LOL. I do however think the Creedmoor will be better suited for my purposes, more variety of available ammunition and significantly cheaper. Thanks for the input!

6.5 creed and Berger factory ammo go together like peas and carrots..

I’ve personally seen and shot the factory 147 CM ammo to just over a mile and it did quite well.

Out to 1200 it's really not gonna hold anyone back but possibly a high level BR or F class shooter.

A 6.5 CM with factory ammunition is easy mode.

Reactions: lash and Rob01
Factory Hornady 147s and my RL26 reloads both run 3020 in my 26" MPA barrel. I run 54.14gr of RL26, and the book max is 55.7.

In all these PRC vs. xxx threads and the various load data threads, I've seen 2900 to 3200 using max RL26 loadings. Someone on here has had real good luck with RL25.

I've not shot a CM so I have no basis for comparison with recoil, but the girlfriends daughters who weigh all of 110# have no problem shooting my PRC.

If people are gong to compare calibers, then compare factory to factory loadings, or insane max loading to insane max loadings and see that the PRC is still going to out run the CM by the very nature of the larger case capacity.

With 147 gr ELDM's, I get 3010 out of a Christiansen MPR 24" carbon barrel and 55.5 gr RL26. I get 2990 with 153 gr A-Tip w/ the same load. Both mild pressure ring from extractor but bolt opens ok.

6.5 x 47 Lapua is a good compromise

A compromise for what? While the 47 is a great cartridge, the Creedmoor gives you a little more velocity than the 47 and the PRC is faster than the Creedmoor. The PRC is just a "magnum" Creedmoor.

A compromise for what? While the 47 is a great cartridge, the Creedmoor gives you a little more velocity than the 47 and the PRC is faster than the Creedmoor. The PRC is just a "magnum" Creedmoor.
I have agree.
I’m honestly surprised the 6.5x47 isn’t as popular as it once was.
Maybe some hype involved?
Certainly the 6mm revolution didn’t help it.

Reactions: canezach
I have 6 creedmoor, 6.5 creedmoor, and 6.5 PRC barrels for one of my guns. So Ive put quite a few rounds down an apples to apples setup in those 3 cartridges.

The 6.5 creedmoor barrel stays in the safe the most. If i wanna punch paper or steel to 600 or even 1k the 6creedmoor does it just as good or better.

Then if I need to go further or hunting the 6.5 PRC is my go to. Dont forget 6.5 PRC also puts 1k lb energy on target at 1k yards and is supersonic to a mile in most guns with factory 147s!!

With respect to those 3 cartridges 6.5 creedmoor is a tweener.

I guess this also kinda explains that 6.5 CM is what you would pick if you were interested in all 3 but could only have 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMP
I would imagine so. Another reason the Creedmoor is better.

Better is in the eye of the beerholder, lol. For general target use inside 1k, yep, 6.5creed all day. Game animals of mule deer and smaller at 500 and under, 6.5creed. Bigger critters or extended hunting range, 6.5prc. Shooting steel mainly at at 1k or more, 6.5prc.

Better is in the eye of the beerholder, lol. For general target use inside 1k, yep, 6.5creed all day. Game animals of mule deer and smaller at 500 and under, 6.5creed. Bigger critters or extended hunting range, 6.5prc. Shooting steel mainly at at 1k or more, 6.5prc.

True, as I stated earlier the only thing the PRC has over the CM is speed. In every other category the Creedmoor is better.

Reactions: 6brshooter
Yes sir. But if you want to utilize it for a few specialized tasks, prc. 6.5creed is the default for paper & steel, with the occasional poke at 1400-1500yds. I've got 3 6.5creeds, 23.25", 20",& 17.5". I've also got a 26" 6.5prc for when I know the short shots will be 1100.

And the Creedmoor is a Magnum Grendel, and the Grendel is an AK47 round done right.

All great cartridges, all have their niche and ideal purpose use.

I don't disagree, but I think that's answering a question that isn't being asked, which is why I asked the guy I quoted, "What compromise?"

OP asked about two rounds: 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC. The 6.5x47, Grendel, 6 Creedmoor, etc, are all great rounds, but they don't do anything different or necessarily better than the 6.5 Creedmoor. The 260, 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, heck throw the 6 Creed and 6x47 into that pot, stir it all up, and whichever one you pull out first will work and the performance will likely be within 10% off the other choices. What you gain in velocity, you lose in barrel life, but ballistically they're all VERY similar. Heck, the 6.5 PRC and 6.5 SAUM are almost identical in performance, too. OP doesn't reload, so that eliminates all x47 and SAUM cartridges. You'll have more luck finding "match grade" 6.5 Creedmoor in a brick and mortar shop, but if you don't mind buying online, you can find Federal 260 ammo with the 142 SMK for about $1 to $1.10 a round.

Bottom line is unless you absolutely need the extra velocity, and you don't reload, there's really no need to go PRC over Creedmoor

I experienced the same debate prior to my rifle purchase. I ended up choosing the 6.5 PRC over the creedmoor. For me, I use it for long range target shooting and hunting. The reasons I chose the PRC...

1) minimal increase in perceived recoil
2) flatter shooting for those quick shots that you may not have time to dial
3) additional energy on impact for hunting

To be clear, I’m not making the argument that the creedmoor is not capable with the amount of energy it brings on target. It was simply the fact that I could get #2 and #3 at the expense of a very mild increase (almost none at all) of #1, it made the jump worth it.

6.5 PRC w/156 berger at 3050fps. ADG brass, CCI 250, 56gr H1000. 29" heavy barrel. I don't hunt so lots of weight is a great thing. For you, I think the game should be the biggest decision.

To the question of which one...Both! Love the extra speed for 1000+. My creed loves the 140's. Tried the 147's but didn't shoot as well. For target shooting, the creed does great and I shoot that when the range is limited to 1k. The PRC makes everything easier past that.

No question the 6.5 PRC is going to give you more energy for hunting. But, so what? Dead is dead, regardless. I would say if 6.5 CM isn't enough gun for what you're hunting, maybe you need to step up to something more than a 6.5 PRC, JMHO.
This.
Pushing another 200fps out of a caliber to make it viable when it wasn’t before means that the caliber is likely a marginal or poor choice regardless.

Reactions: lash
Just resurrecting this post.......I'm looking at getting the Sauer 100 Fieldshoot rifle either in Creedmoor or PRC.......

This has probably been done but has anyone tried using the PRC but with 2 loads. A "lighter" lower MV load to mimic the Creedmoor round and hopefully preserve some barrel life and a full fat PRC load for much longer range..........

Just resurrecting this post.......I'm looking at getting the Sauer 100 Fieldshoot rifle either in Creedmoor or PRC.......

This has probably been done but has anyone tried using the PRC but with 2 loads. A "lighter" lower MV load to mimic the Creedmoor round and hopefully preserve some barrel life and a full fat PRC load for much longer range..........

Sounds to me like an excellent reason to purchase the 6.5 PRC AND a .223 "trainer rig," but maybe I just have fun spending other people's money. :)

I haven’t intentionally but I was loading in no mans land with special 123gr bullets and fast powders so I started low and worked my way up. The low loads were accurate and very mild at Creedmoor speeds. Once you got above that there was a noticeable increase in muzzle blast and recoil, not a problem for me as I shoot suppressed but something to be mindful of.

In my case the rifle will be used for hunting but I did take it to a long range shooting class with a velocity limit so I currently have two loads worked up. The first is the 153.5gr Berger Hybrid at 2910 fps as my target load and the second is a 123gr Absolute Hammer at 3430 fps as my hunting load. I believe my proof barrel has approximately 1100 or so rounds on it for fairly stout loads and it is still giving me good accuracy though it seems to be more sensitive to being clean.

Reactions: jim996
Your still burning 60ish grains of powder in a 6.5 hole.
Maybe another 100?

Lol
I’ve seen that thinking go bad.
I saw it happen this winter, shot with a guy who found out loads on edge can get ugly when cases get wet.
Another friend smoked his bolt from getting greedy on a hot day.
That extra 50-100 FPS comes at a cost.

A local guy had his 300 Weatherby bolt enter his left cheek, exit below his left ear, and then go thru the wall of a metal building behind him a month or so ago. He was shooting a right handed rifle left handed. Lost his right eye and the rifle was in two pieces. my eye Dr had pictures of everything. Said he fired 4 shots, took a break, and the 5th one did the damage.

I haven’t intentionally but I was loading in no mans land with special 123gr bullets and fast powders so I started low and worked my way up. The low loads were accurate and very mild at Creedmoor speeds. Once you got above that there was a noticeable increase in muzzle blast and recoil, not a problem for me as I shoot suppressed but something to be mindful of.

In my case the rifle will be used for hunting but I did take it to a long range shooting class with a velocity limit so I currently have two loads worked up. The first is the 153.5gr Berger Hybrid at 2910 fps as my target load and the second is a 123gr Absolute Hammer at 3430 fps as my hunting load. I believe my proof barrel has approximately 1100 or so rounds on it for fairly stout loads and it is still giving me good accuracy though it seems to be more sensitive to being clean.

thanks for this. I’ve looked at the Hornady load data and you can load the 147s from about 2700 FPS up to 3000+. I’m tempted to just go with the PRC and work with a lower and upper end load. 2700 for general plinking and target work up to 1200 yards. 3000 if I want to stretch it out to a mile. My Kestrel will be able to handle the drop data for both of them