• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Rem Mag questions and your comments about it.

SmokeRolls

Nobody important
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
I just bought a very nice older rem 700 in 6.5 rem mag and just currious what you guys think about this cartridge.
I could rebarrel and turn it into whatever short action cartridge I want but Im thinking about just ordering some dies and having some fun with this cartridge until barrel wears out and then who knows what.?
Im gonna use this on some deer and coyotes and whatever looks like it needs to be shot
smile.gif

Anybody got any once fired brass for this caliber, I'll do an even swap for any standard cartridge (I.E. 308,30-06,270,300WM,7MM Mag,243,22-250 etc,etc,etc. I have way more calibers than this)
Ohhh, will be looking for a good deal on RCBS dies and bullets for this caliber if you have it.
Will post in WTT/WTB section as well.
Thanks......SmokeRolls

Re: 6.5 Rem Mag questions and your comments about it.

If you look at the case capacity it is very similar to the 6.5x284 and 6.5-06, but with a magnum bolt face. I am amazed that this caliber is not more popular.

Good luck

Jerry

Thanks. My brother-in-law runs a 264 Winchester Magnum and the 6.5 Rem Mag cartridge seems to be nipping at its heels with all but the heavier bullets (Case capacity has it's pluses
smile.gif

I'm looking forward to putting it thru it's paces.
Probably going to work up a load with barnes 100 grain X bullets at about 3,200-3,300 fps and smack some deer down and load up some v-max loads in or around 100 grain for some coyote.
Should be fun.
.......SmokeRolls

I think its an overlooked gem and was about to seek out a 6.5mm barrel to chamber for it or 6.5x55Swede or 264WinMag when I came upon a 7mm barrel deal. You should be able to run 123 Amax to 3100 with RL17 depending on the atmosphere.