• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 SAUM 4s over 10lb Tactical Rifle Thread

I gotta say I'm extremely jealous of all you guys! The only thing holding me back from a 6.5SAUM conversion for my DTA is the brass availability. I don't have any experience in the wildcatting/brass forming/necking up/down game and am pretty hesitant to screw up the brass.

Do yall know if this might get a run of brass done up like the 6mm Creedmoor? Hornady/Norma/Lapua (a guy can dream)? I'd love to get into the caliber but at $2.30 apiece for Remington brass from Copper Creek the price is a bit high...

Copper Creek Cartridge Co. makes fully prepped Brass for the 6.5 SAUM!

I gotta say I'm extremely jealous of all you guys! The only thing holding me back from a 6.5SAUM conversion for my DTA is the brass availability. I don't have any experience in the wildcatting/brass forming/necking up/down game and am pretty hesitant to screw up the brass.

Do yall know if this might get a run of brass done up like the 6mm Creedmoor? Hornady/Norma/Lapua (a guy can dream)? I'd love to get into the caliber but at $2.30 apiece for Remington brass from Copper Creek the price is a bit high...

If brass is done for this caliber it will take awhile. Usually you have to put in a significant order (70,000-100,000). Not to mention find a quality manufacturer that is will to do it.

Considering the amount of labor that goes into new brass to form it down to 6.5 SAUM the price Copper Creek has is pretty spot on. I know it seems high but most new/wildcat calibers are pricey to get into. The good news is the brass will last you quite a few reloads. I believe Pat Sinclair reported north of 15 loadings on his brass.

If I recall correctly George Gardner has negotiated with a brass manufacturer to produce 6.5 SAUM brass with tentative production start date of late in 2014 or Q1 2015. I would hedge my bets to closer to Q2 2015 before the 6.5 SAUM brass is available.

Wildcating of the .300 SAUM brass has been an adventure for me, even with Pat's good instructions. It's not impossible, but does take time and a great neck turner like the K&M or Sinclair with proper expanding mandrel & die. if you don't have that already then 100 pieces of brass, even at $230, is cheaper than buying a neck turner, expanding mandrel & die, along with bushings. Even IF you could find SAUM brass to wildcat right now, $0.80-$1.30 per case is about as cheap as it's listed.

REMINGTON RIFLE BRASS | Brownells
NORMA BRASS | Brownells

I'm not bad mouthing Copper Creek's price at ALL. I'm aware of the work it takes to neck down, turn, etc. and their price seems more than reasonable with the labor. I'm just having a hard time breaking out the pocketbook like that for Remington brass. Though if you really DO get 15 firings....

I'll wait for when Mr. George gets a source, probably. I'm doing that with the 6CM (just got 400rds of Copper Creek delivered and rifle at Joe Collier's) and don't have any regrets. I just hope yall get all the bugs out before I throw my money down. Seriously though, thanks for being the guinea pigs!

If I recall correctly George Gardner has negotiated with a brass manufacturer to produce 6.5 SAUM brass with tentative production start date of late in 2014 or Q1 2015. I would hedge my bets to closer to Q2 2015 before the 6.5 SAUM brass is available.

Wildcating of the .300 SAUM brass has been an adventure for me, even with Pat's good instructions. It's not impossible, but does take time and a great neck turner like the K&M or Sinclair with proper expanding mandrel & die. if you don't have that already then 100 pieces of brass, even at $230, is cheaper than buying a neck turner, expanding mandrel & die, along with bushings. Even IF you could find SAUM brass to wildcat right now, $0.80-$1.30 per case is about as cheap as it's listed.

REMINGTON RIFLE BRASS | Brownells
NORMA BRASS | Brownells

That is not entirely accurate. George was shopping around at SHOT Show this past January for a brass maker but there were no solid commitments as of yet. There are candidates but taking on the project is going to be a big commitment for both parties. If he does find a manufacturer look for it to take 4-6 months just to start seeing any production.

I'm not bad mouthing Copper Creek's price at ALL. I'm aware of the work it takes to neck down, turn, etc. and their price seems more than reasonable with the labor. I'm just having a hard time breaking out the pocketbook like that for Remington brass. Though if you really DO get 15 firings....

I'll wait for when Mr. George gets a source, probably. I'm doing that with the 6CM (just got 400rds of Copper Creek delivered and rifle at Joe Collier's) and don't have any regrets. I just hope yall get all the bugs out before I throw my money down. Seriously though, thanks for being the guinea pigs!

What "bugs" are you referring to?

What "bugs" are you referring to?

Just a generic phrase with implementing a (relatively) new idea. I didn't have anything particularly in mind. My point was that there are wildcats coming out every day with necking up/down, shoulder angle changes, etc. Yall have made a considerable financial investment and shared the info which helps me make a more informed decision. So in a word.... thanks!

That is not entirely accurate. George was shopping around at SHOT Show this past January for a brass maker but there were no solid commitments as of yet. There are candidates but taking on the project is going to be a big commitment for both parties. If he does find a manufacturer look for it to take 4-6 months just to start seeing any production.

My comment on 6.5 SAUM brass availability is based on the last posted information by George Gardner on the specific subject. The situation may have changed since he originally posted about it on Jan 18th, but it's the first the Hide is hearing that publicly.

SHOT SHOW UPDATE

Correct Headstamp Brass will be available by this time next year. Im not at yet 100% sure who it will be. 2 companies are very interested but I am waiting on Delivery and Price before I spill the beans. It will not be Lapua or Nosler.

not necessary the order will be for 250,000 pieces there will be plenty to go around.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...p-extreme-hunter-6-5-saum-33.html#post2909132
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...p-extreme-hunter-6-5-saum-33.html#post2909912

Oh, ok. You will like the caliber if you decide to go with it. There are quite a few now shooting it. Ive shot thousands of rounds and this is by far one of my favorite calibers to shoot with. I highly recommend it!

Great looking rifles , anyone have range reports to go along with them?

Working up loads last week and this was the best group so far at 100. will take this load out to distance this week-end to see how it performs. Tube has 55rds down the pipe so far.

Working up loads last week and this was the best group so far at 100. will take this load out to distance this week-end to see how it performs. Tube has 55rds down the pipe so far.

Looks like a real good load combo there and your rifle must be a high efficiency model too because your getting close to the same MV as I am getting with my rifle but with 1gr gr less powder. Very cool!

Nice shooting Bob L Swagger.

This was shot from my GAP at a 100 yards while testing some loads with Retumbo and suppressed with a 30P1
2e2mf5j.jpg

Do you know what your velocity is with retumbo? I'm also using retumbo with 140 hybrids 64gr and I'm at 3170

I have a Bartlein medium Palma contour and real happy with it, have had no problems with this rifle in 6.5 4S, originally it was a 7wsm and when the barrel went bad last year I sent it off to GAP to have it rebarreled and have over 1200 rounds down the tube now.

14m5l4k.jpg

Awesome field pic and great looking stick. Keep the pics coming.

Regards, Paul

Mine is nearing order time ... With my a Extreme Hunter performing so well, a heavy build is a must !!

specs so far:

templar V2
8.2 twist barrel, threaded with cap ( mini FTE possibly )
Manners t4A or T5a stock
m5 BM
tuned Rem or Jewell HVR

Damn u Scott I'm really trying to hold off getting one simply due to brass prep hassle

Mine will be here this week!! My hunting rifle is delayed a bit but my heavy gun will be spitn' Bergers before the end of the week hopefully:

Remington Stainless Short Action
Trued by Longrifles Inc
PTG One Piece Bolt, Fluted
Timney Calvin Elite Trigger
Nightforce 20MOA Rail 8-40 holes
Wyatt Extended Box
PTG Canoe Style Hinged Floor Plate
PTG Recoil Lug, pinned
Kreiger 1:8.5 5R Sendero Contour at 26"
6.5 SAUM 4S .2962 neck, .081 FB
Threaded 5/8-24
Graphite Black Cerakote Barreled Action
Manners T4 OD Green, Flush Cups, Badger EFR, Atlas Rail,
Atlas Bipod w/ADM QD
Badger Rings
Nightforce ATACR MOAR
AADMount Scope Caps

Got it put together, shoot it tomorrow!!!

Do you know what your velocity is with retumbo? I'm also using retumbo with 140 hybrids 64gr and I'm at 3170

I don't know for sure, but in my rifle 64 gr of Retumbo is to hot, 63 gr is max and I'm guessing it is at 3200 fps or a litte over with 139 Scenars. 62 gr of Retumbo actually shot real well and is what I would use with Retumbo.

Last edited:

Load Info
Brass:Norma .300 SAUM brass necked to 0.295 turned to 0.2935 on K&M
Powder: 59.2gr H1000 @3125fps
Primer: WMR
Bullet: 140gr Berger Target Hybrids. My barrel did NOT like the AMax's I have and was only ok with the hornady BTHP.

Best 315yd group = 0.332MOA The rifle is a consistent 0.6 to .05 MOA with the Bergers.

Action: Savage 12 Varmint
Trigger: Rifle Basix
Barrel: Hawk Hill Custom 1 in 8.5", 27" finished length, Heavy Varmint contour (heavy as f#ck!) :cool:
Stock: Manners T2 (40% Dark Earth, 30% Coyote Tan, 30% OD Green) aka ACME Camo
DBM: CDI
Suppressor: TBAC 30P-1
Gunsmith: Pendergraft Gunworks

It still needs Cerakoted in APA Sage and a new PSR BT47 Atlas bipod. Both of those should happen in late June.

Here's mine.

Trued Rem700
M24 contour, 1-8.5 twist, Krieger @ 26"
Schuler brake
PTG bolt/handle/knob
GAP 4S reamer
McM A4
PTG DBM
Graphite Black Cerakote
Badger rail
Seekins rings
Bushnell XRS
Smithed by me

Mine is nearing order time ... With my a Extreme Hunter performing so well, a heavy build is a must !!

specs so far:

templar V2
8.2 twist barrel, threaded with cap ( mini FTE possibly )
Manners t4A or T5a stock
m5 BM
tuned Rem or Jewell HVR

8.2 twist? Going to use those 150's or what's the thinking?

Here's mine.

Trued Rem700
M24 contour, 1-8.5 twist, Krieger @ 26"
Schuler brake
PTG bolt/handle/knob
GAP 4S reamer
McM A4
PTG DBM
Graphite Black Cerakote
Badger rail
Seekins rings
Bushnell XRS
Smithed by me

I need a woodland camo stocked rifle in my safe! Excellent looking rifle sir! Thanks for sharing your pic!

Folks does anyone here you use a manners mini chassis ? do you have any issues with COAL do you need to make modifications to action at all to seat the 140 type bullets to the recommended COAL ?

Folks does anyone here you use a manners mini chassis ? do you have any issues with COAL do you need to make modifications to action at all to seat the 140 type bullets to the recommended COAL ?

Mini chassis will be fine, rounds feed from AI style mags.

At the Front of mag well, the bottom of action will need opened up to allow bullets to feed from mag. Front plate of mag removed to load 140's to about 2.945" COAL

At the Front of mag well, the bottom of action will need opened up to allow bullets to feed from mag. Front plate of mag removed to load 140's to about 2.945" COAL

Thank you so in your opinion is the easier option the Wyatts internal MBE -4 mag box and a floor plate ? does it weaken the action at all ?

Thank you so in your opinion is the easier option the Wyatts internal MBE -4 mag box and a floor plate ? does it weaken the action at all ?

If building a heavy tac rifle I would opt to use DBM. A 4 shot mag box and hinged floor plate is old school. The modification to the action is very simple. They merely put your action in a end mill and cut a half moon shape into the feed ramp to allow the longer rounds to slide and into the chamber.

You won't get 4 in the mag, only three at most. I have the Manners T4 w/ BDL Mini Chassis with the MBE-4 and the PTG canoe style floor plate. I'll be able to get three in there but right now I'm trying to figure out what's binding when I load the third round. It's effectively a 2 round mag until I have time to mess with it and get it right. I'm hoping the T4 isn't too shallow to allow a third round?

Got my issue solved so it's running 3 in the mag. If cutting for the Wyatt weakened the action I don't think custom action makers would make there action with the extended cut to fit the Wyatt. Very little material in a non critical place.

I have a Winchester M70 in 300 Winchester Mag and a Remington 700 in 308 that I could use as donor rifles. Hmmm. These 6.5 SAUM threads are threatening to be expensive for me.

With a little over 1400 rounds through it, the 6.5 saum is still shooting well on paper and using a new Magnetospeed V3 its averaging 3140 fps with a dirty barrel, the group was shot suppressed.

20qcp02.jpg

Last edited:
Final specs...

Templar V2 action
Bartlein 8.7 twist barrel, GAP #6 contour, threaded with cap ( mini FTE possibly )
Manners T5a stock, Elite tactical Midnight
M5 BM
tuned Rem or Jewell HVR
Cerakote barreled action to match

Final specs...

Templar V2 action
Bartlein 8.7 twist barrel, GAP #6 contour, threaded with cap ( mini FTE possibly )
M5 BM
tuned Rem or Jewell HVR

Sounds like the beginning of another awesome rifle.

Final specs...

Templar V2 action
M5 BM
tuned Rem or Jewell HVR

I really like the way you think - except it seems to end up costing me money :)

Last edited:
I see most rifles are set up with a 8.5 twist, would a 8 twist have me run into pressure early? I'm torn between this and another 6.5x47 for my longrifles group build.

Might be a little fast if you went down into the 120 grain level. Not sure why anyone would but something to think about.

this one comes in just over the 10 lb. minimum weight:
1D568E29-FCE8-4D04-A8BC-5C1138A232B8_zpsbfn8gzgs.jpg

K&K Customs Rem 700 SA
24" Bartlein #4, 1:8.5tw, Kampfeld flutes, APA Gen II brake
A3, Surgeon DBM, Atlas rail & bipod
Premier LT, Seekins lows & 20moa base

Carries easy & shootin' it is like pettin' a puppy...