• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 SMK 142 vs ELDM 147

werth338

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2021
Houston
Trying to determine which bullet to move toward for comps. Would prefer Berger 144 but can't get my hands on them. In their place, I am looking at SMK 142 or ELDM 147. Any thoughts either way on them?

As a side note, I would probably tip the SMK as part of the process.

found and bought enough 140's not to think about jumping around for the ranges I have to shoot on 600 - 1k . Id go heavy 147's or heavier if your gun can shoot em . I liked the 142 smk that someone else loaded for me but they are just to similar to the 140's I never saw a real difference 2 gr heavier why waist your time go for the 147's . Bullet central just posted as having berger bullets in stock maybe if they are still there maybe they have some 144's best of luck .

Reactions: werth338
No luck on Bullet Central. I prefer heavier bullets in my rifles. Would a 153 be acceptable for PRS? I know trend is towards as little recoil as possible.

I’d rather go with Berger 140s or Lapua 136/139 than Hornady 147.

I’ll take a consistent 1/4” bullet over a 1/2-3/4” less consistent with better BC. Especially with the well known issue with the 147 blowing up.

The 147s are fine. My friends and I have shot several thousand with 1:8 twist barrels going mas o menos 2850 fps and have had zero issues. 0.5mil difference at 1200 yards at 5000 feet.

Reactions: davere
I’ve shot thousands of 142s. They’ve been really consistent for me. Used to be able to get them for under $.35 here before all of this panic buying happened.

Are you guys running the 147's hot when they are blowing up? Or is it factory ammo?

I’ve shot thousands of 142s. They’ve been really consistent for me. Used to be able to get them for under $.35 here before all of this panic buying happened.
142’s are an excellent bullet, not the sexiest but a consistent performer.
Are you guys running the 147's hot when they are blowing up? Or is it factory ammo?
I was running them at about 2800 and they were blowing up.

Okay. I haven't noticed this with the factory ammo. Thankfully.
Appriciated.

The Berger 144Hy would be my choice too but if you cant get em the 147 will do the job. Just know that over 2800 you'll be in the danger zone with em, that's all there is to it.

Factory ammo is not exempt of this, I've had blowups with the 147 ELDM out of a 24" proof more times that i can count, all at around 5k ASL.
Per Frank Green of Bartlein going 5r helps lowering the chance of jacket failure since it has a shallower land/groove angle and no opposing lands.

All of that said, i just found some 147s locally for cheap to use at the hunter matches this season and bought 1k... they work just run them at 2750 and you re good.

The Berger 144Hy would be my choice too but if you cant get em the 147 will do the job. Just know that over 2800 you'll be in the danger zone with em, that's all there is to it.

Factory ammo is not exempt of this, I've had blowups with the 147 ELDM out of a 24" proof more times that i can count, all at around 5k ASL.
Per Frank Green of Bartlein going 5r helps lowering the chance of jacket failure since it has a shallower land/groove angle and no opposing lands.

All of that said, i just found some 147s locally for cheap to use at the hunter matches this season and bought 1k... they work just run them at 2750 and you re good.
I had a couple of minutes late yesterday and called Hornady to get their perspective. They did say that 5R barrels tend not to have problems and that the issues they saw were mostly 4 groove. That also said to keep them under 295,000 revs vs the 300,000 revs previously.

Yea
Unfortunately even at 250,000 I was still getting poofs.

The 180 ELDM was even worse blowing up at that spin rate in 2 Brux 4 grooves and 1 bartlein 5R

Would a 153 be acceptable for PRS? I know trend is towards as little recoil as possible.
I was considering these too since they are available. But it seems an 8tw barrel is to slow for these, that's what Berger's calculator tells me. I'm at sea level. Does anybody have experience with them?

Did Hornady buy back that lot of bullets
No, they haven’t really acknowledged the problem.

There was a notorious lot starting with #219 if I recall correctly that seemed to be the most problematic no matter what speed people were running.

I don’t work for Hornady but ive shot about 800 147s over the past 6 months with no puffs.

5r Bartlein 29” and 41 gr of H4350 at 2775 avg

Personal exp only op but food for thought if the 147 is all you can get.

No, they haven’t really acknowledged the problem.

There was a notorious lot starting with #219 if I recall correctly that seemed to be the most problematic no matter what speed people were running.

I don’t work for Hornady but ive shot about 800 147s over the past 6 months with no puffs.

5r Bartlein 29” and 41 gr of H4350 at 2775 avg

Personal exp only op but food for thought if the 147 is all you can get.
Thanks for the info. Seems like all over the place for people and experiences with them and make more challenging with so few options on the market.

I'm having luck with 145 match burners up to ~315K revs FYI

6.5 Sherman Max, 28" Bartlein 7.5 twist, ~2" @ 460 yds off a bipod in the field. At the range off of a bench with bags, ~0.5" @ 200 yds.
That will get it done. Have you had any issues with consistency on length and ogive?

That will get it done. Have you had any issues with consistency on length and ogive?

Wish I had more info for you, but I only shoot from Fall to Spring due to fire restrictions, and I was in the middle of load dev when my season ended. Prelim checks on weights and lengths looked good though, so I didn't sort. Will get further into it around Thanksgiving.

Avoid 147 ELDMs. They notoriously come apart around 50-100 yards out.
Well I guess the 2000 or so I’ve shot over the last year from multiple different lots must came outta a different batch. I’ve not had any issues whatsoever outta 147’s at 2770 in a 1:8 twist barrel.

From the reports I seen, the ones having issues with them, and I have no first hand knowledge of it, was hot rodding them out of 7 twist barrels. Again, no experience with them blowing up on me and I’ve sent plenty down range.

6.5 Sherman Max, 28" Bartlein 7.5 twist, ~2" @ 460 yds off a bipod in the field. At the range off of a bench with bags, ~0.5" @ 200 yds.
That's flipping nice wow. Buddy and I have tried those in multiple barrels, powders seating depths you name it just a scatter gun from 1:8 6.5 to a Bartlein LHGT 6.5. The 140's on the other hand...magic sauce.

That's flipping nice wow. Buddy and I have tried those in multiple barrels, powders seating depths you name it just a scatter gun from 1:8 6.5 to a Bartlein LHGT 6.5. The 140's on the other hand...magic sauce.

Wow, sorry to hear. I didn't know they were finicky - guess I got lucky with my combo.