• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 x 47

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
should I do it, I have a remington short action sitting around, or should I get one of the guys to build me one? I want a new round that is not casting 5 bucks down range ever time i go pop. I like to go fast so thats why I would take it over the 308. Ok let the fun begin, talk me out of it or into it.

Re: 6.5 x 47

More like $2.50 a pop if you buy factory loaded ammo. I dont think you can get Wolf in 6.5 yet.

hell 2.50 would be great, my 338 lapua is fun but the wife bitches alot when I come back from the gun store.

If you don't reload, go 6.5 Creedmoor. Similar to the 6.5x47, but only a littlw more than $1/round with factory ammo

Do you reload? If so I would look into the 6mm like the Gap seems to show promise. If not I would go 6.5 creedmore about the same as the lapua but very reasonable factory match ammo.

I do reload, in fact I love working up new loads, I try not to ever use factory if I can help it. My TRG has never seen a factory round! Has anyone used the round on medium game yet, I would be using it up to Moose, I know its a bit light, but I believe in shot placement. Who is making a good 6.5 now? I'm sure I can get one from Gap but who else?

Go for it... I know I would if I had an extra action laying around, heck I'd still do it even if I only had a single rifle.

Any competent smith could do either one(you have better brass with the lapua).I think with a good bullet you would be fine on moose they aren't known for thier resilence.

You can send it to someone like Pacnor or Hart they can square up the action and barrel it.Then you just need to bed it in your stock and you'll be gtg.

I have a 6.5 X 47L and love it. Its on a Stiller Tac-30 action and weighs about 14lbs. Ive killed a couple deer and antelope with this round and it beats the 308 quite handily. I would have no problem killing Moose or elk with it.

I'm just in the process of building another. This time a lightweight sheep hunter on a remington 700SA.

Hard to beat the 6.5x47L

Where in AK are you? I'm down in Kodiak. When I get mine back from the smith I'll post some results. After seeing a friends x47 I was sold.